displaying posts 1 to 9 of 9

Author Subject: Check Strap / Door Card removal FAQ
justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
The check Strap is the part of the door just above the wiring loom that holds your door open.

Before the observant of you tell me the obvious, no this isnt a 6 and no it isnt even a 3 door but Im sure theres not much difference Unsure This car is a phase 3 HDi Dturbo 5 door

This is a guide to replacing the whole check strap mechanism. The part I bought from peugeot was already fully assembled. From reading other comments it is possible to buy just the pin or just the plate the strap is pinned to. If you dont need to replace the mechanism you dont need to take the door card off so the job is much easier

So you will need:

10mm socket and rachet
Torx T20 (speakers)
Torx T30 (Door Card)
Small flat screwdriver (for prizing!)
Kitchen Roll (its greasy!)

Optinal Extras:

Door Card clips (cost about 6p each from peugeot)
Replacement Sound proofing (sticky back foam stuff)
Spray paint (if you are anal about having the strap colour coded!)
PTFE (plumbing) Tape (to wrap round the cadr clips)

First we need to get the door card off. Remove the speaker cover (just clipped on) and undo the three T20 torx screws. Unclip the yellow connector on the back of the speaker.

justinaccurate has attached the following image:

Posted 31st Mar 2007 at 22:18
justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Gently prize out the electric window switch using a fingernail and flat screwdriver - it is plastic so be careful not to mark it! Remove the T30 screw. Unclip the Window switch. The drivers side has 2 cables going in; for the mirrors and for the windows. The mirrors switch has a wierd catch that rotates so just be careful when disconnecting.

Posted 31st Mar 2007 at 20:30
justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Remove the rubber bung from just below the wing mirror blanking plate and remove the T30 screw. (not pictured). The final T30 is in this hole below the handle. A magnetic screwdriver attachment would help but in all honesty the bolt cant drop anywhere apart from out of the car (its not going to vanish into the door card!)

Posted 31st Mar 2007 at 19:53
justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Gently prize out the door release trim with fingernails (if you have them!)

Posted 31st Mar 2007 at 19:26
justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Starting where the speaker sits, run your fingers around the edge of the card and use sensible force to pop out the door card clips.

The following two pictures may or may not help you locate them as this is a 4 door but they will give you an idea of where the clips are (white circles in the pictures)

When the card is loosened, gently lift it over the push down door lock. Note how the metal runner sits in the rubber trim.

Posted 31st Mar 2007 at 19:30
justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
I think from when I bought some spares there are 5 clips in all even on the 3 door.

Now is a good time to make sure there are no rattly bolts loose behind the card! (found one in the car I was doing!)

Posted 31st Mar 2007 at 21:04
justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
OK so you are ready to remove the old check strap.

It should be held to the car by 2 10mm bolts and to the door by 2 10mm nuts

There is some sound proofing in the way what you have to carefully punch a big hole in with your screwdriver Whistle

Removing the mechanism whole is not very easy. The bracket it bolts to the car with is very close to the size of the hole the strap comes through and as you can see the window guide is in the way so you have to twits and turn the damn thing.

Fortunately for me, the bracket was broken so it came out easy. Whistle

Posted 31st Mar 2007 at 19:36
justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
However you will have a dilemma when you come to replace the new strap mechanism. Either take the pin out (I assume it needs to be hammered out but can someone confirm this?), push it into place and refit or spend just as long gently working it through the small hole.

Personally I worked it through in one piece. A little tip is to use a pair of pliers to adjust the angle of the bracket to make it easier to work through. A little persuasion with one hand pushing while the other hand pulls on a screwdriver poked through the hole in the bracket worked for me.

Use tissues to wipe all that grease off your hands!

When in place, put the nuts back on but dont tighten all the way up as you may need some play to line up and re-attach the bracket. Tigten the nuts and bolts back up, test the door to make sure it works!

Now is a good time to wash the rest of the grease off your hands before you touch the card again.

Posted 31st Mar 2007 at 19:50
justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
To refit the door card, first line up and lower the door lock button with the hole and lower the metal rail into the rubber guide. You can look at the door release handle and torx screws to line up when it is back in place.

Before you clip anything make sure the electric window wire and speaker wire are visible and pulled though the card!

Inspect the card clips to see if any are damaged, replace if necessary. A 306gti6.com top tip is to wrap the card clips in PTFE tape to help them grip the door and make it less likely they pop out

Push or gently thump the clips back into place

For the rest of the card, "refiting is the reverse of removal" ™

Posted 31st Mar 2007 at 20:02

This thread has been locked