displaying posts 1 to 16 of 16

Author Subject: Brake Light Switch?
mullybaby

Regular

Post #1
Was driving home earlier today and noticed my brake lights weren't working properly, they would only work every other couple of times, but after about one hour of driving they started working properly again. Is this to do with that little white switch on the brake pedal? If so, does anybody know the part number? Any help greatly appreciated as i can't drive the car until this is fixed Dry
Posted 19th Mar 2007 at 05:52
jim01uk

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
not sure on the part number, but they are only around £4 and a bas**rd to fit. mines off back to pug to have it replaced under warranty today, as i have broken the one they fitted last year. its just toooo tempting to stamp the M1155s on from high speed!
Posted 19th Mar 2007 at 12:43
mullybaby

Regular

Post #3
Lucky ba*sstrd Happy

At least there cheap, plently of skin loss for me today then Roll eyes
Posted 19th Mar 2007 at 21:12
mullybaby

Regular

Post #4
Just did this, plenty of small cuts on my hand now Dry Pretty straight forward job once you unbolt the steering rack Wink
Posted 19th Mar 2007 at 21:17
mystery_man11990

Post #5
This was a right b*tch to do, but when I finally figured out how it popped out it was easy enough.

Tools:
A torch
A flat screwdriver

Firstly remove the fusebox panel to give yourself a bit more light if you dont have a high powered torch.

Remove the drivers heater and remove the panel just below with the dash dimmer and headlight dipper controls. The heater will come free with gentle force using the lower open panel to help you seperate the heater tube from the blower.

When thats done shine your torch down the cavity and your looking for a black cylinder shape with a white connector attached. That is the Brake light switch.

To remove the switch you physically need to be on your back in the footwell with your head under the dashboard. Use the torch to locate the white plunger which is located near the top of the brake pedal.

Just push the plunger through and pull the wire through the open drivers blower. disconnect it and replace or repair.

Refitting is the reverse of the above.

With my switch one of the connectors had oxidised. All I did was separate if from its housing, ground down the affected connectors and gave the spring a slight stretch. Reassembled and it works perfectly.

Total time: 30 Minutes

10 minutes to remove, repair and test. 20 minutes arsing about trying to get the bloody thing back in...

Big grin
Posted 13th Jun 2009 at 01:27
vts_tibi

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
thank god I have a Xsara! you don't even have to get under the dashboard! Reach down the brake pedal, find switch, pull out, remove plug!

refit the new one

job done! Big grin

mine just went out today! LOL

VTS
best 60' : 2.272
best 1/8 ET : 9.375 @ 74.42mph
best 1/4 ET: 14.603 @ 97.047mph

Team Trackday™
Posted 13th Jun 2009 at 02:37
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
mystery_man11990 wrote:
This was a right b*tch to do, but when I finally figured out how it popped out it was easy enough.

Tools:
A torch
A flat screwdriver

Firstly remove the fusebox panel to give yourself a bit more light if you dont have a high powered torch.

Remove the drivers heater and remove the panel just below with the dash dimmer and headlight dipper controls. The heater will come free with gentle force using the lower open panel to help you seperate the heater tube from the blower.

When thats done shine your torch down the cavity and your looking for a black cylinder shape with a white connector attached. That is the Brake light switch.

To remove the switch you physically need to be on your back in the footwell with your head under the dashboard. Use the torch to locate the white plunger which is located near the top of the brake pedal.

Just push the plunger through and pull the wire through the open drivers blower. disconnect it and replace or repair.

Refitting is the reverse of the above.

With my switch one of the connectors had oxidised. All I did was separate if from its housing, ground down the affected connectors and gave the spring a slight stretch. Reassembled and it works perfectly.

Total time: 30 Minutes

10 minutes to remove, repair and test. 20 minutes arsing about trying to get the bloody thing back in...

Big grin

A VERY GOOD GUIDE! I started by wasting time unnecessarily dropping the steering column.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 11th Jul 2009 at 19:32
justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
I think mine has died. I recently checked all my lights and had 1 fog and 1 side out. But the wife wasnt around so couldn't check the brakes. So I bought a load of bulbs (swapped the mains for nightbreakers) - then found that f*ck all happens when I pump the brakes Doh
Posted 10th Mar 2010 at 00:24
mabgti

NV motors

Post #9
alot easier to do with column unboltedYes

Team Supercharged Gti-6

NV Motorsport
Automotive Performance Tuning
0121 448 7515
ECU Remapping/ DPF removal
VAG/BMW Diag and Option Coding
Peugeot Planet ECU coding/transponder programming etc
www.nvmotorsport.com
Facebook Page
Project S6
Posted 10th Mar 2010 at 00:30
justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Mysteryman's directions are spot on, apart from I needed to drill out a rivet on the blower pipe. I was going to make a guide with pics but there so few stages and you have to do most of it by feel its kinda pointless. Took me about an hour - 20 minutes to get the vent out, 5 minutes to get the switch out and 30 minutes to get the sod back in! 5 minutes to put everything else back.

Didnt unbolt the column, though I bet its easier to refit as you could then get your hand to the right position to push the switch back in and you could probably see what you were doing Smile
Posted 13th Mar 2010 at 15:41
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
I stand by that going through the vent is easier.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 13th Mar 2010 at 15:49
alcon

Senior User

Post #12
I've just done mine and agree that removing the air vent and the panel below is the easiest way....not that it was an easy job. I also had to prise off a rivet in the blower pipe and then extract the pipe via the vent hole. The switch came out easily enough once I got my arm in there but trying to get the switch back through the hole was a bit of a headache. With my left hand up under the dash feeling about for the end of the switch and my right arm deep inside the dash, I suddenly felt it pop through and it was in! Everything else after that was quick. I too now look like I've been slashing my wrists!!

Not a job I want to repeat in a hurry.

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 9th Aug 2014 at 14:06
matt16v

Regular

Post #13
Can't figure out how you guys are getting the driver's side air vent out, think I'm going to give the column way a go.

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+
Posted 2nd Dec 2014 at 11:00
alcon

Senior User

Post #14
matt16v wrote:
Can't figure out how you guys are getting the driver's side air vent out, think I'm going to give the column way a go.

Gently prise the vent off the dash using a flat bladed screwdriver. Just be careful not to damaged the dash obviously, but it should just pry out.

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 2nd Dec 2014 at 11:03
matt16v

Regular

Post #15
Did it! I see now the rivet you are on about, next to the relays. How did you manage to prise that off?

http://imgur.com/YBnN0Up - This one?

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+
Posted 2nd Dec 2014 at 11:45
alcon

Senior User

Post #16
The rivet is fairly soft (aluminium IIRC?) so should just break off if your squash it with pliers and ease it out with your screwdriver. There's probably a better way of doing it but I just basically destroyed it until it fell out!

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 2nd Dec 2014 at 13:25