displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: A/C Spring Lock Join FAQ
jimmy6

Regular

Post #1
Pug quoted me £66 to disconnect my two A/C pipes... a 30 second job! Shock

Did a bit of research and found a nice little gadget....

I bought the Hella kit (Part no 8PE351230-841) of 4 for £18 because I didn't know which one to use but they are available individually for about £7, so ask for the 5/8 size one. Got it from Allparts.
Also found a much cheaper Sealey kit on the net for £8 +p&p part no VS0454.

Here's the one that did the trick:

Here are the pipes it disconnects:

Pipe #3:

Pipe #1, has a spring hidden in the ring to the left of the 2 green o-rings:

*** WARNING THE SYSTEM MUST BE EMPTY OF REFRIDGERANT GAS BEFORE DISCONNECTING, APPARENTLY THE PIPES SHOULDN'T DISCONNECT WHEN THE SYSTEM IS UNDER PRESSURE BUT DON'T TAKE ANY RISKS. THIS GAS CAN CAUSE FROSTBITE. IF YOUR SYSTEM HAS GAS THEN IT MUST BE DRAINED AND RETAINED BY A PROFESSIONAL BEFORE COMPONENTS CAN BE DISCONNECTED***

*** ALWAYS USE RUBBER GLOVES LINED WITH MATERIAL AND PROTECTIVE GOGGLES WHEN WORKING ON A/C WITH GAS STILL IN THE SYSTEM ***

1. Clip the gadget over the pipe join with the bit (protrusion) that shows thru the side slots pushing into the spring in the ring (it opens the ring up)

2. Pull the pipes apart, sorted!

If that didn't work then the spring is a bit stuck in place so:

3. Push the pipe #3 into pipe #1 while pushing in the gadget into ring of pipe #1.

4. Pull pipe #3 out.

Sorted Big grin
Posted 3rd Nov 2006 at 05:45
jimmy6

Regular

Post #2
This is pretty useful for A/C stuff and has pictures of this gadget in use and the individual part numbers :

Clicky
Posted 2nd Aug 2006 at 04:33
micnic

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Yes but you must be absolutely certain that the system is depressuried or you may find your fingers snapping off with frostbite! be carefull
Posted 1st Aug 2006 at 02:05
simgti6

Senior User

Post #4
to make sure there is no gas in before you disconnect the pipe, press the low side valve core in with a long handled small tipped screwdriver, if there is gas in it will hiss out

but only do this if you diffently know that the gas level is VERY low or empty just as a check before disconnecting
Posted 1st Aug 2006 at 02:12
petegti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Frostbite will be the least of your worries.
R134a refridgerant is a cancerous gas.

Cress87 wrote:
This place is getting beyond a joke. There's been an enormous influx of bellends signing up recently

Team 205 1.9 GTi

Team: Hmm™
Posted 1st Aug 2006 at 05:26
jimmy6

Regular

Post #6
Admin, ok for moving to FAQ?
Posted 2nd Aug 2006 at 01:41
jimmy6

Regular

Post #7
Yes, thanks guys. I had this worry on my mind a few hours after posting. I've updated it with a warning. Cheers!
Posted 2nd Aug 2006 at 04:29

This thread has been locked