displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: Cambelt Timing Guide
ash

Six Addict

Post #1
I've just found a guide that explains the potential problem encountered when replacing teh cambelt on our engines:-

Problem: Risk of valve damage due to incorrect camshaft timing after belt replacement.

As on most Peugeot engines the crankshaft and the camshaft can be locked into position by inserting pins through the respective pulley and sprocket. On models with harmonic balancers the outer section usually moves its position relative to the center. The reference hole provided must therefore never be used to set the crankshaft.
Although this problem was first discovered on a 306 XU7JP engine, it can occur on any model, which is fitted with a similar pulley.
See in the section below how to correctly position the camshaft.

ash has attached the following image:

Posted 9th Dec 2005 at 17:54
ash

Six Addict

Post #2
Setting the crankshaft position.
First lock the camshaft into position in the normal fasion. Position the crankshaft so that the key-way points to the bolt on the left
(90° angle from the base of the engine block).
With this alignment the pistons are at ½ stroke. Now fit the belt.
Always turn the engine over by hand to ensure there is no interference between the pistons and the the valves.

I found this text and photos on the internet and don't take any responsibility for it being accurate etc etc.

I have since read in a Peugeot Manual that the correct way to change the cambelt is to attempt to fit the cambelt locking pins and if the lower pulley doesn't line up, simply replace it so that it can be trusted.

ash has attached the following image:

Posted 3rd Apr 2006 at 22:01
Phil

Senior User

Post #3
Moved to FAQ! Thumbs up
Posted 10th Dec 2005 at 08:56
bash

O.C.D

Post #4
quote:
Moved to FAQ! Thumbs up

Thanks.

I can just fit 3 pancakes under the front splitter on my mk2 Golf GTi 16v... with lemon and sugar on them.Cool
Posted 12th Jan 2006 at 21:14
khj100

Senior User

Post #5
quote:
quote:
Moved to FAQ! Thumbs up

Thanks.

Someone been fiddling Whistle

Trackday, trackday, trackday Hyper
Posted 12th Jan 2006 at 21:24
bash

O.C.D

Post #6
quote:
quote:
quote:
Moved to FAQ! Thumbs up

Thanks.

Someone been fiddling Whistle

? I'm just trying to see how many threads I can claim to my name before they get posts on them again. I'm f*cking bored by the way.

I can just fit 3 pancakes under the front splitter on my mk2 Golf GTi 16v... with lemon and sugar on them.Cool
Posted 12th Jan 2006 at 21:26

This thread has been locked