displaying posts 1 to 19 of 19

Author Subject: Trackday Advice/Costs
teej

Cheeky Chav!

Post #1
Just as a quick guide to those who're wondering how much a trackday will cost after paying out for the day itself....

At a basic level all you need is your road car and a helmet (available from ash on here for about £40) - these don't usually need to be fia approved on trackdays so a motorbike one will do. Open face are also usually allowed (in closed-roof cars), but no dodgy plastic BMX ones from when you were 5 Whistle
Car should be in good condition - I don't know of anyone who's been asked to show an MOT, and some cars on trackdays don't have them anyway, but it should be well-maintained and safe. It's your life at risk, as well as others, if it breaks Mellow

Brakes will take a pounding - be prepared to shell out for new pads afterwards if you're hard on the brakes in normal road-driving (i went through a set of pads at croft, but possibly because they were new, not bedded in properly and i worked them too hard - in my nova they seem to last forever (unless ash is driving Shifty) - track-driving puts more stress on every part of the car, so while there may not be any failures on the day you should be aware that the wear rate of things such as suspension compenents will be sped up.

Tyres - can use your normal road tyres, tho cornering forces will scrub off the edges. Some people use ebay to buy second-hand rims with worn out tyres to use, a trackday will allow slicks so tyres below the mot depth line will be fine, but you should check they're not dangerously low - if the tyre bursts at 110mph, it's going to get messy!

Insurance - not compulsory - only 4 or 5 people had it at croft. From CCI / Egger Lawson - for a £7k value car = £70 premium and £700 excess on any claim. That covers your car only, so it's not like your usual road insurance - even if the accident isn't your fault, if your car is damaged but you have no cover then it's no money for you. In reverse, your insurance does not cover the 3 porsches and a ropey old rallye you wiped out swerving to let that nice pete-rallye by. Also does not cover mechanical failure. I'm sure Kev can provide Chris Yemm's phone number......

It really is great fun, you'll never get the chance to drive you car like this on the roads. Cool

If i've forgotten anything (like cost of replacement mower blades) then feel free to add on.......

"Talking about badgers is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" Steve McBadger

Transversa aurigatio transcurro arvae.
Posted 5th May 2005 at 11:57
anderoo

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
quote:
From CCI / Egger Lawson - for a £7k value car = £70k premium and £700 excess

£70k?? for insurance for one trackday!? Blink Huh?

Pics of my 6
My 6 on Google Video thanks to coxy306Xsi
Posted 5th May 2005 at 11:38
teej

Cheeky Chav!

Post #3
quote:
quote:
From CCI / Egger Lawson - for a £7k value car = £70k premium and £700 excess

£70k?? for insurance for one trackday!? Blink Huh?

Yes that's the labour gov't and taxes for you LOL

or alternatively a typo Whistle should be £70. they are approximate costs, and from last year, just to give an idea of what you can expect.

"Talking about badgers is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" Steve McBadger

Transversa aurigatio transcurro arvae.
Posted 5th May 2005 at 11:57
anderoo

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
LOL

Good Guide. Cool

The one thing worries me about trackdays though is that someone else driving like a tool will plough into me. Unsure

Think a second trackday only car is the best way to go. Cool

Pics of my 6
My 6 on Google Video thanks to coxy306Xsi
Posted 5th May 2005 at 12:08
cosmic spanner

Moral objector

Post #5
I paid 67 quid a few weeks back.. I'm kinda glad I did because it was my first time on track and the rain and track condition in the morning was like some sort of sick joke.

But having seen what it's like now, I'm not sure I'll bother in future - the biggest danger to my car was probably myself. Unless it's torrential rain then I'll save the money to pay for the inevitable new brakes!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch..
..Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Project é - my 306 project thread.
Posted 5th May 2005 at 12:10
dhampton

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
As has been said you only really understand the risks once you've done one. Personally ive never bothered with and never felt like ive needed track insurance, on both the 106 and 306

Clio 182 FF 306 Rallye (track) 306 Gti-6 Megane R26 Clio 172 Cup (track) 106 Rallye S2 (track) 306 Rallye Saxo VTR 106 Zest2
Posted 5th May 2005 at 12:16
al4x

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
quote:

The one thing worries me about trackdays though is that someone else driving like a tool will plough into me. Unsure

thats the biggest problem and why you just let people past you think might be a danger. Its why it helps to go with people you trust not to run into you!
Posted 5th May 2005 at 12:17
khj100

Senior User

Post #8
Just to add to what Tim has said above:

Risks on a trackday are not as big as you think. For all the macho 'talk' about being faster than everyone etc, there is no pressure to go beyond your own limits and a few nerves on track are a good thing. Providing you respect and drive within your own limits, and drive courteously so as not to aggitate other people, you can have a LOT of excitement without putting your car in real danger. Dry

The biggest other cost to consider is petrol. A full day at a circuit like Snetterton will take at least a full tank of petrol (I think I worked out I was getting 6mpg at Oulton a few months ago!). Shock

Brakes and tyres will wear, but only depending on the abuse you give them - you're not guaranteed to kill them in a single day! Dry

The biggest cost by far is the addiction that shortly follows which makes you do a trackday every month and shell out for a dedicated track car! Laugh Roll eyes

Seriously though, a dry day on an open circuit like Snetterton, with a relatively small number of cars and sensible driving is THE safest trackday you will find. If anyone is thinking about doing a day, then this is best one you'll get! Yes

Trackday, trackday, trackday Hyper
Posted 5th May 2005 at 12:38
stevclark

Regular

Post #9
Didnt realise this thread had already been started so just started it in the general fourm. Sorry for any inconvience.

205 GLD OWNER

EX PHASE ONE PEUGEOT 306 GTI 6 OWNER

Sad

Previous Cars: -
P REG 2.0 SIGMA BLUE PEUGEOT 306 GTI 6
K REG 1.4 WHITE RENUALT CLIO FIJI
E REG 1.1 RED VW POLO
(OLD)X REG 1.1 WHITE VW POLO
Posted 5th May 2005 at 12:45
uk-trackdays

Junior User

Post #10
Good guide teej. From an organisers point of view what khj100 has just said is perfect advice. We welcome novice drivers to all our days and experiencing your car out on track is truly an addiction.

To confirm a few things as far as our track days run; you don't need an MOT, like teej said it’s your risk if you’re driving an unsafe car, if you don't have a helmet we can hire you one for the day at £10.00 and finally the grey area of insurance; on a typical day I would estimate that 20% of the drivers would have insurance. I’ve been running and attending track days for 8 years now and I don’t think I can remember 2 cars ever hitting each other! If you have a spin and hit the Armco – then that’s your fault because you were pushing the limits. If you drive within your limits you shouldn’t experience any problems.
Posted 5th May 2005 at 13:04
sarthe82

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Cracking thread, should be a sticky IMO!Whistle
As far as costs go, should factor in accomodation for the previous evening, only cost £25 a head at Snetterton and is well worth it to save a crack of dawn two hour drive!Wink
Also, prepare for the unexpected! If you're in AA or RAC get the recovery service with it, I was very lucky when I split my rad at Snetterton to get back in one piece thanks to a top AA man and five sachets of radweld!Shock AA Relay would have recovered me back home no bother! Thumbs up

Steve Big grin

Posted 5th May 2005 at 14:58
singingfish

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
this is a very encouraging thread and i like it too much.
must get my balls in a sling and get my arse up to snetterton. watched the btcc night racing there for two years on the trot. the camping is good too.
is anyone interested in the idea of a barbecue stylee camping type thingee at snetterton for the forthcoming meet.

I'm going to try to blag a returned favour/birthday prezzie of an old mate who'd front it for me.Shifty

a)
is it a case of slinging some spare pads in the boot so i have some brakes for the home trip then?

Cool
do you see many sixes and rallyes having engine blowups at these events?

nice to see ''uk trackdays'' posting on here. welcome.

defected to VAG
Faithful Rallye looking for a home.
[sniffs]
Posted 10th May 2005 at 13:58
sarthe82

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Hi Matt,

I don't think anyone suffered anything more serious at Snetterton than my rad and Nigel & Mike rooting their brakes, these are tough cars, as long as they're in good nick to start with you should be OK (but see reference to AA! LOL )
Not too sure about the camping thing, personally Le Mans is the only time you can spot me near a tent, alcohol being a major factor! Last time a lot of us stayed at a hotel about a mile from the circuit, £25 a head and a pub next door! Big grin

edit: seriously tho', don't get the impression that there's much drinking involved, we were at the circuit at 7.00 am the following morning so major moderation was the order iof the day!

Steve Big grin

Posted 10th May 2005 at 14:14
jimmy_boy

Senior User

Post #14
Unless you drive around with no oil in the car you are unlikely to blow your engine up on track Wink

GTI-6 & Rallye

Rallye gets sideways in the wet at Snetterton Ninja
Posted 11th May 2005 at 00:13
uk-trackdays

Junior User

Post #15
You can camp at the track but you do need permission from the circuit before hand. The only problem with camping is that they lock the gates at night, so from 6pm to 7am you will be locked inside the circuit! And the biggest and strongest locks are on the gates that give entrance to the circuit (pit lane exit) - before you get any ideas of a BTCC night race reenactment!

Staying in a hotel is the sensible option, giving you a good nights sleep in a decent’ish bed so your fully prepared for the next day. The hotel which was used last time is liturally 5 minutes from the track, so its ideal.

Only sling some pads in the boot if you know your current pads are low. A general service check should do; as in checking the water / coolent and oil levals, brake pad and tyre wear. On the day you might want to check and adjust your tyre pressures. If you are caught out on the day and need to replace anything there’s a garage on site and a Partco van makes regular trips to the track.
Posted 12th May 2005 at 12:00
khj100

Senior User

Post #16
quote:
If you are caught out on the day and need to replace anything there’s a garage on site and a Partco van makes regular trips to the track.

Like emergency fanbelt delivery Yes Whistle

Trackday, trackday, trackday Hyper
Posted 12th May 2005 at 22:30
nwphoto

Club Snapper

Post #17
Erm? wish I got some pads for the trip home last time....would've saved my discs Huh?
Posted 12th May 2005 at 23:55
singingfish

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
snetterton is looking reeeeeeeeal tempting.

I still like the idea of camping though.
I don't mean the frugal type of camping in a fetid little kennel tent either. but rather doing it in style with a barbie, chairs tables and the whole shebang.

thanks for the advice guys. it is really appreciated.Thumbs up.

defected to VAG
Faithful Rallye looking for a home.
[sniffs]
Posted 20th May 2005 at 17:15
jimmy_boy

Senior User

Post #19
Thread FAQ'ed Smile

GTI-6 & Rallye

Rallye gets sideways in the wet at Snetterton Ninja
Posted 28th Sep 2005 at 23:24

This thread has been locked