displaying posts 1 to 4 of 4

Author Subject: How To: Master Cylinder rebuild
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #1
It's fairly easy to rebuild the master cylinder but, it goes without saying that it's a safety critical part and you need to be sure of your abilities before you commit to the rebuild.

Lots of places won't provide a rebuild kit due to the above but, search for Peugeot part numbers 463399 or 4633A0 and you'll find what you need.

This can be done on the car but it's a messy job so, put something over your engine and have plenty of absorbent things around to mop up the brake fluid Wink

1) Remove the bulkhead heastshield, remove the brown brake fluid level sensor plug, ubdo the two 13mm nuts securing the master cylinder to the brake booster, unclip the brake lines and pull everything foward.

2) You'll probably have enough movement in the brake lines to rotate the master cylinder / reservoir assembly so that you can pour the brake fluid out. Get the rest of it with a syringe etc.

3) Remove this clip and pull out the pin, from the other side, to seperate the reservoir from the master cylinder.

4) Next, pop out the two seals that provide the seal between the master cylinder & reservoir.

5) Beneath the seal at the rear of the master cylinder is a round plate; lift it out with a magnet.

6) With the round plate out of the way you'll see the head of a dowel. Lift this out, again with a magnet; you may need to apply slight pressure to the piston part of the master cylinder.

7) Remove the large circlip.

8) The upper part of the piston will come out fairly easily, the lower part might need a wiggle side-to-side to get it out. In the picture below you can see the piston and the seals that need to be replaced. NOTE THE ORIENTATION OF THE SEALS before you start replacing them.
The seals to the left of the picture are replacements for the seals between the master cylinder & reservoir.

9) Put the spring and lower section of the piston in to the master cylinder having lubricated it with some brake fluid. Make sure the slot in the piston is aligned with the hole the dowel came from (the dowel goes through this slot).

10) Put the upper part of the piston in to the master cylinder having lubricated it with some brake fluid. Put the circlip back in place.

11) Replace the dowel, again applying pressure to the piston if you need to. Replace the round plate and insert the new master cylinder to reservoir seals. Re-assemble the master cylinder / reservoir assembly with the pin and clip.

12) Put everything back as you removed it and bleed your brakes.

1343Z4 coolant hose o-rings for sale
198131 injector o-rings for sale
Posted 26th Feb 2024 at 08:22
alcon

Senior User

Post #2
Very useful Tom, thanks for posting. Once you have removed the guts, are you left with just the aluminium casting? In other words, can it then be vapour blasted (protecting the inside as necessary)?

I bought a genuine repair kit (4654.14) but I realise now from your photos that it doesn't include the piston seals. I've not done it yet so might see if I can get the bigger kit. Where did you get yours from?

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 26th Feb 2024 at 12:26
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #3
alcon wrote:
Once you have removed the guts, are you left with just the aluminium casting? In other words, can it then be vapour blasted (protecting the inside as necessary)?

I might be wrong but, I think it's painted Dunno But yes, once the guts are out it's just a lump of aluminium so could be vapour blasted with the openings blocked etc.

alcon wrote:
I bought a genuine repair kit (4654.14) but I realise now from your photos that it doesn't include the piston seals. I've not done it yet so might see if I can get the bigger kit. Where did you get yours from?

I did exactly the same thing! 4654.14 is just the master cylinder to reservoir seal kit.
I got my kit from ebay, there's various options but I went for Autofren part D1260. Sadly, the genuine Peugeot part is no longer produced (I checked with my local dealer Thumbs down ).

Other options are:
A.B.S. part 63566
ERT part 200444
Frenkit part 123010

1343Z4 coolant hose o-rings for sale
198131 injector o-rings for sale
Posted 26th Feb 2024 at 12:43
rikky 🦔

Post #4
good thread tom, moved to faq

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 26th Feb 2024 at 17:54

This thread has been locked