displaying posts 1 to 2 of 2

Author Subject: xsi gearbox oil fill and drain plugs?
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
just need to double check for my sanity.....
took my car to a garage to do my front wheel bearings (i dont have a 20t press) the other week.

they informed me my gearbox was leaking oil and they've topped it up....(they pulled driveshaft out to far)

went to have a looksie today and im somewhat confused asto which plugs the fill and which is the drain. my haynes manuals i have arnt helping. and its something ive never touched on my xsi before.

there is a large side facing 19mm hex bolt on the side of the gearbox, to the rear, this is the fill level right? i took it out and drained over 800ml of oil. (garage had overfilled)

and the 13m front facing bolt is the drain? i took this rather longing bolt out and drained the rest of my gearbox oil.

i then topped it up untill it came out the side 19mm bolt again?

is this correct or am i missing a drain plug somewhere else? im worried ive mistaken the 19mm as the fill, the 13mmm as a drain and theres a hidden bolt somehere else further up the gearbox thats the actual fill?

is there another bolt im missing?

the world is changed by people in sheds
Posted 21st Jan 2024 at 13:04
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
urgh.... turns out im a dingle and both of those bolts were fill levels?

i wonderd why not a lot of oil came out what i thought was the drain plug.

the actual drain plug is a big chonky bolt with a square hole in it, much lower down the gearbox under the driveshaft entry point facing downwards.

still.....whats up with the the two fill level plugs?

is one still a drain but for a weird recess inside the gearbox housing?

all three versions of my haynes manuals dont mention this :S

the world is changed by people in sheds
Posted 21st Jan 2024 at 15:05