displaying posts 1 to 4 of 4

Author Subject: Engine Rebuild to 2.1 or not?
rallye1999

Senior User

Post #1
Took my engine out of my track car at the beginning of the year due to needing various jobs doing (clutch, cambelt, head gasket (weeping oil from rear corner))

removed the head and the bores are a little worn and probably will need to be rebored.

while i strip the engine down and send it to the engine builders to be checked for size etc its got me thinking about going for forged internals and possibly going up to a 2.1 but is it worth it?

i can get a set of pistons/rods from pug1off, wossner etc that are a direct replacement whereas with the 2.1 i will have to source the TD crank and find someone that does a set of pistons and rods, will the 2.1 gain that much power over a 2.0?

anyone know where i can host pictures for free to add these?

Thanks
Posted 6th Dec 2023 at 16:32
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #2
i wouldn't be using anything wossner pec etc, if you're going to buy aftermarket stuff go decent properly designed and specified stuff, something like a Robson rod with a QED omega Vauxhall piston or a Honda K piston.

one of the reasons a lot of forged piston gti6's don't make power or have to be revved to the moon is the compression ratio is all to cock on the wossner pistons, spec says 12-1 but they come up at nearly 14 if you take the time to measure stuff accurately.

on a budget I'd go stock oversize if you can find them, with a little tickle to the cutouts of course, something like a newman PH2 or a PT80 cam, that would be around 180 bhp

2.1 wont gain a huge amount over a 2.0 but wont cost you any more to build a decent engine over keeping the 86mm crank.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 6th Dec 2023 at 23:56
rallye1999

Senior User

Post #3
welshpug! wrote:
i wouldn't be using anything wossner pec etc, if you're going to buy aftermarket stuff go decent properly designed and specified stuff, something like a Robson rod with a QED omega Vauxhall piston or a Honda K piston.

one of the reasons a lot of forged piston gti6's don't make power or have to be revved to the moon is the compression ratio is all to cock on the wossner pistons, spec says 12-1 but they come up at nearly 14 if you take the time to measure stuff accurately.

on a budget I'd go stock oversize if you can find them, with a little tickle to the cutouts of course, something like a newman PH2 or a PT80 cam, that would be around 180 bhp

2.1 wont gain a huge amount over a 2.0 but wont cost you any more to build a decent engine over keeping the 86mm crank.

Thanks for that, just seen the wossners/pec set up on pug1off’s site and presumed they’d be ok.
I presume the engine builders will be able to spec something that works if I decide to use an 88mm crank as they no doubt have many piston and rod options to choose from 🤷🏻‍♂️
Posted 7th Dec 2023 at 00:43
rallye1999

Senior User

Post #4
Anyone know if this is the correct crank to use for a 2.1? Clicky i have seen some people say that a turbo diesel engine is forged and this is apparently from a non turbo 406 1.9, ive never seen a crank off a turbo diesel to compare it to. thanks
Posted 12th Dec 2023 at 16:23