displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: noise (abs sensor grinding)
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
very weird but about 4 hours after my cambelt change about 6 months ago. i get an intermittant grinding noise.

after looking about underneath ive discovered potentially something hit or got stuck in my abs sensor ring and jammed and bent the sensor.

its metal tip thing is lot closer to the castelations on the abs rotor ring thing than the opposte side (and slightly bent).

the noise comes and goes but it pretty "is the wheel falling off?, am i going to die?" when it does happen.

the bearings seem fine and theres no other play in any of the suspension components. (i inspect it on ramps weekly)

just wondering if a take a file/sand paper to it an increase the gap..... how far can i take off of it?

the world is changed by people in sheds
Posted 1st Dec 2023 at 23:32
jord294

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Check condition of abs ring on driveshaft, and possibly just fit new replacement sensor

FRESHLY RE-FURBISHED GTI BEAMS
FITTING AND LOWERING AVAILABLE.
ALL AXLES BUILT USING GENUINE PEUGEOT PARTS

IF I'M NOT HERE, IT ONLY MEANS ONE THING.... I'M SOMEWHERE ELSE!
Posted 5th Dec 2023 at 21:14
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
the rings intact, inplace and not warped/loose, and clean now. its divets were rather full of crud.

there is a few patchs of cleaner metal in one section on it where its been rubbing, but its only rubbing very very slightly.

i have no abs warning/fault lights. so i feel like i can just get away with a quick file, i was just wondering if there was a min/max spec for the gap.

Posted 9th Dec 2023 at 13:50
marksorrento205

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
The fact it’s rubbing on one section only would indicate it’s warped. I would get a replacement ring and fit it , that should sort your clearance issue out.

How to do a clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 10th Dec 2023 at 18:34
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
your right, but i am so lazy Smile

it seems weird how it could warp.... my only guess is excess heat...... but that part of the vehicle shouldnt get hot under normal conditions :S

Posted 16th Dec 2023 at 12:34
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
turns out my wheel bearing was going on that side, replaced it and the problem has gone, along with a few other noises. just the ARB bushes and the topmount+bearings to go and she should be pretty tidy.

Posted 5th Jan 2024 at 23:47