displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: intermittant wobbly and high idle
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
im back, long time no see,

99 plate pug 306 xsi

runs and idles fine most of the time....i think (not sure anymore what a normal idle is) Unsure

sometimes when sitting still or coming to a stop, it will pick an idle of between 1200 and 1500rpm

sometimes it sits back down to 900.....sometimes even 800.
sometimes it sits down to 800 then bounces up to 900 and sits there.

its weird as when it sits down to 800, it feels like my previous gti6s having the above/similar problems and its about to stall.......

but it never stalls, it idles real nice/smooth/quiet at 800 :S (i can imagine it uses less fuel too)

ive also noticed if it is sitting at a high 1200-1500 rpm on idle, turning the engine off and on again usually fixes it (back down to 900rpm).

my guesses are icv and maybe the map sensor, internet also says try unplugging the PAS sensor but i cant see where it is to unplug.LOL

few questions
1. any other sensors worth checking?
2. where should my PAS sensor be to unplug and eliminate that from the problem sensor list?
3. what should my idle rpms actually be? 800 or 900?
4. anything else worth trying if the above fails?

the world is changed by people in sheds
Posted 21st May 2023 at 09:34
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #2
Don't think the XSi has got a PAS sensor.
The green coolant sensor, in the thermostat housing, has been known to do odd things.

1343Z4 coolant hose o-rings for sale
198131 injector o-rings for sale
Posted 21st May 2023 at 12:38
Joep

Regular

Post #3
Might be a faulty lambda sensor or a bad battery terminal.

My car park:
'96 Sigma Blue XSi6
'98 Diablo Red GTi6
'99 Onyx Black S16

All RFS powered!

Plus various other Peugeots
Posted 22nd May 2023 at 08:14
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
ur right, no PAS sensor Smile

well.... i cleaned the icv with some brake cleaner....nuff black shiz came out (felt less gritty)....problem dissapeared, sort of reappeared once then was fine ever since.

i replaced the map sensor and icv valve today, did an ecu battery reset (minus having loads of electrical systems on)

thing runs great/smooth, idles fine.....except when coming to a stand still.....the engine dips like its going to stall (600rpms) and then goes back up to flat smooth 800...

my question is......if doing the battery ecu reset method and running it with all the electrical system on.....fixes this problem.....

what dicky part is causing this? it seems electrical, battery terminals are clean af....could it be the chassis ground terminals?

i vaguely remember something about a "split level diode"

Posted 3rd Jun 2023 at 19:08
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
well....the next drive, the next day.....went perfect..... things fixed itself...

still smellls like its running rather rich tbh.... i might go for a new coolant sensor and a lambda just incase.

Posted 8th Jun 2023 at 17:25