displaying posts 1 to 4 of 4

Author Subject: New member after a little advice
bxrGTi

Post #1
Hello guys and thanks for adding me.
I'm in Australia and am looking at a nice 306 GTi-6 to purchase. 135000 kays (84000mi) with a full recent service including timing chain.
My question to you is what else should I be checking when I inspect the car other than the usual stuff? Is there anything uniquely 306 that goes wrong or is an issue that I need to double check? Chassis issues?, suspension? gearbox?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

1991 205 GTi Red
1998 306 GTi-6 Silver
2014 208 GTi AE #071 White
Posted 27th Feb 2023 at 01:32
alcon

Senior User

Post #2
Here in the UK, I'd advise having a good look at the underside for obvious signs of rot but if the car you're looking at has spent it's life in Australia, it may be fairly solid underneath. Nevertheless, still have a good look in case it's been imported from over here at some point. The 306 suffers rot at the front chassis legs/stiffeners from improper jacking. This crushes them and then becomes a water trap resulting in severe rust issues. It can only be properly addressed by cutting out and welding in good second hand stiffener legs.

Another area of wear is the rear axle. Signs of this will be the top of the rear wheels pointing in and if bad, will possibly be rubbing on the inner arches. Look for signs of rubbing on the plastic wheel arch liners if they're still there.

Everything's fixable and there are a few guys here who will happily sell you stuff and send to Oz if needed.

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 27th Feb 2023 at 17:17
bxrGTi

Post #3
Brilliant. Really appreciate that. Seeing the car tomorrow so hopefully will get back to you with good news.

1991 205 GTi Red
1998 306 GTi-6 Silver
2014 208 GTi AE #071 White
Posted 27th Feb 2023 at 21:31
rudolf

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Also, make sure water pump, isler, and tensioner were also replaced with the timing BELT

S Reg Diablo standardsSpec SORNED
R Reg Nile standard spec written off then repaired
X Reg Astor in need of TLC
R Reg Nile to restore
Set of Lions to fit.
Posted 15th Mar 2023 at 16:46