displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: Cable self adjusting mechanism
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #1
I'm finally getting around to changing the original (stiff) clutch cable on the 6. I bought a new auto-adjusting cable years ago; it's been sat on the shelf since.

It's been so long that I can't remember, but is there a clip that holds the ratchet mechanism together/compressed that you must not release until both ends of the cable are fitted? I might have removed this unwittingly years ago. The cable seems to be maximally extended and I can't get the clutch fork end in - there's no way it has enough slack. I can't make the adjuster 'spring back' by pulling on the inner cable, which is something I can do on the old one which is out of the car now.

Do I need a new, new cable?
Posted 24th Aug 2022 at 20:01
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
As far as i can remember you just need to fit the pedal end and make sure it's in place on the hook, then pull the fork end, you might feel it click a few times, might take some force but it should extend enough to get it put into place.
I think the ratchet mechanism only 'locks' itself when you pull it from the pedal end.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 25th Aug 2022 at 20:22
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #3
I can't remember which end I might have pulled years ago that locked the mechanism - probably both. I have the pedal end hooked in place, and there's no way there's enough slack to get the clutch fork end seated. The 2 rubber bushes are nearly touching.

Before I fitted it to the car I put the pedal hook between the vice jaws (not clamped) and pulled on the clutch end to get enough force - still didn't budge.

Considering the small cost of a new cable, I've ordered one now anyway. I'm tempted to gently prise the ratchet mechanism apart on the old/new cable to see if it can be reset.

Edit: I wouldn't otherwise mind that I'll now be doing the job again, if for the fact that it was such a small amount of fun. Getting the pedal end out and then back in past the air con pipes, and then through the bulkhead hole properly is just misery.
Posted 25th Aug 2022 at 21:16
rudolf

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
What make of clutch cable have you got?

S Reg Diablo standardsSpec SORNED
R Reg Nile standard spec written off then repaired
X Reg Astor in need of TLC
R Reg Nile to restore
Set of Lions to fit.
Posted 30th Aug 2022 at 08:04
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #5
The 'new' old one I've had for years - who knows. Whatever was cheapest at GSF at the time, I imagine.

The new one I just bounght from Autodoc - SEIM. Couldn't see the OEM Dura one available.
Posted 31st Aug 2022 at 12:03
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #6
This did turn out to be the removable cap on the auto adjusting cable, in the end. I must have removed it in error years ago, then the cable had extended and I couldn't get it to compress again resulting in my issue above. The new replacement cable had a white plastic retaining cap to twist off only after fitting both ends of the cable to the car. With the auto adjuster compressed, i.e. with the plastic cap still in place, there was enough slack to fit.
Posted 25th Sep 2022 at 20:01