displaying posts 1 to 10 of 10

Author Subject: Cam sensor testing
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #1
I thought there was a guide to testing sensors somewhere in the FAQ's but can't see it Hmm

Can the Cam sensor be tested with a multimeter? What values should I be seeing?

I've got a hot start fault - struggles to fire when the engines been run, switched off and tried to restart.

Car's had (all new):
Genuine coolant temp sensor (green)
Marelli ICV
Bosch crank sensor
Correct NGK plugs

+ history of genuine replacement coils.

Can't think of anything else that might upset the starting Dunno

1343Z4 coolant hose o-rings for sale
198131 injector o-rings for sale
Posted 19th Jul 2022 at 09:39
rikky 🦔

Post #2
http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=80340&page=1

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 20th Jul 2022 at 14:22
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #3
Thanks to the information provided I tested the sensor over the weekend and confirmed it's duff.

Worth noting that the signal disappears after a while presumably when the ecu's got enough info to set-up the sequential firing and check cam and crank are in sequence? Of course, it could've just been my wires coming loose that caused the signal to disappear...

It's a bit of a faff firing the car up then dashing round to put multimeter probes on pins 2 & 3 so get some extra helping hands if you can.

Posted 25th Jul 2022 at 10:53
RallyeP6

Regular

Post #4
From the Autodata wiring, it looks like its a Hall effect sensor, supply, ground and signal. You can also remove the sensor, put the ignition on and pass a magnet or piece of steel across the face of the sensor and if its good you should see the voltage switch from high to low. Simulating the pulses from the cam sprocket.
Posted 8th Aug 2022 at 13:39
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #5
RallyeP6 wrote:
From the Autodata wiring, it looks like its a Hall effect sensor, supply, ground and signal. You can also remove the sensor, put the ignition on and pass a magnet or piece of steel across the face of the sensor and if its good you should see the voltage switch from high to low. Simulating the pulses from the cam sprocket.

Thanks for the tips and advice, something to remember for next time with tht type of sensor Thumbs up

Although testing the resistance indicated the sensor wasn't at its best, replacing it hasn't solved my hot start issue. It has however, improved the on/off throttle situation that was aleways a little jerky- nice & smooth now!

I had a look again at my coolant temp sensor (green one in thermostat housing). It's not that old and a genuine Peugeot one but the green plastic bit is rotating within the metal. I'm going to guess that's my fault.

Posted 9th Aug 2022 at 13:43
Jimbamboon2

Post #6
bit of a revival but did you ever resolve this. I was hoping that the cam sensor would do it as other stuff has been replaced....
Posted 8th Oct 2023 at 19:33
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #7
Jimbamboon2 wrote:
bit of a revival but did you ever resolve this. I was hoping that the cam sensor would do it as other stuff has been replaced....

My issue was the green coolant temp sensor.

If you need a cam sensor I've got a spare new one in its box due to an AutoDoc order cock up Roll eyes

Posted 9th Oct 2023 at 08:30
Jimbamboon2

Post #8
Ah ok how come replacing the coolant temp sensor didn't solve it initially
As per your first post?
Posted 10th Oct 2023 at 10:59
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #9
Jimbamboon2 wrote:
Ah ok how come replacing the coolant temp sensor didn't solve it initially
As per your first post?

When I looked at the coolant temp closer I found the brass bit was loose from the green plastic bit. Not great for a genuine Peugeot item No

You're not far from me, if you want to come over and try sensors from my car you're welcome.

Posted 10th Oct 2023 at 12:32
jimbamboon

Senior User

Post #10
Thanks appreciate that. I'm actually in the process of trying to pick up a 6 again and considering one that has a slight hot start issue, hence the forum trawl.

"We never have any near misses, we hit them every time!"

clicky code for my benefit

[ url= http://www.website.com]My link[/url ]
Posted 10th Oct 2023 at 13:17