displaying posts 1 to 2 of 2

Author Subject: I have purchase question (looking for guidance)
Alex49

Post #1
Hello everyone.
I have question, by some circumstances i have owned plenty of Peugeots in last 8 years since i have a license and i have become very fond of them, i found GTI-6 year 2000 and ive been speaking to owner to arrange a meet to see the car and possibly buy it.I Registered here primarily to seek some guidance or tips, what should i look for and perhaps some tips. I will be going on friday most likely to see it, all help regarding it would be welcome.I havent owned before any "sportier" peugeot enignes so help would be welcomed. My history of peugeots is mostly 407 Coupe 2.7 HDI, 308 1.6 HDI and 508 2.0 HDI, but since something in me really wants some weekend beater and the brand im familiar sort of with, this 306 GTI6 came up id like to get it if all is well, although 1 thing worries me, is it worth purchasing considering it has 200 000 miles on the clock? Its kinda the only one sellling and they are real rarity where i am (im in EU)
Posted 17th Nov 2021 at 05:50
Joep

Regular

Post #2
I would not be concerned about the mileage if the service history is known. One of the most important things to check is if the engine is not a tapper, the timing belt has been changed recently (within 5 years or 50k km). Other things to check: how is the underside of the car? Any rust. Check behind the side skirts! Is the rear axle still okay (no knocking when driving and wheel should not look like /---| or |---\ when looking at the rear.

Other things that are common to fail: aircon and ABS sensors.

One thing I would also check: the topmounts. If you see any signs of what can be rust on the top, than the bearings might be gone. Changed these on 3 306s last year. All of them needed changing, but the ones showing slight traces of rust nearly had no bearings anymore!

My car park:
'96 Sigma Blue XSi6
'98 Diablo Red GTi6
'99 Onyx Black S16

All RFS powered!

Plus various other Peugeots
Posted 17th Nov 2021 at 07:29