displaying posts 1 to 4 of 4

Author Subject: Weird clocks and needles
ajk

Post #1
I've had this intermittent problem with my clocks now and it's only becoming worse. All the dials and gauges, except the coolant temp, don't seem to work. There's power to the instrument cluster but the needles just all seem to oscillate back and forth. The speedometer, tachometer, oil level gauge, odometer (displays all flashing 8's) and fuel gauge are all affected. Sometimes cycling the car power on and off resolves the issue and resets the gauges. I've tried pulling the shunt fuse and leaving the battery disconnected for a bit but neither have helped. I've also inspected the earth on the gearbox, the chassis leg and the driver's footwell and they all seem fine. Has anyone ever had such an issue. I suspect a bad earth but haven't seen an signs of corrosion or poor connection. I've had an electrician inspect the board instrument cluster itself and it looked fine. As fun as it is guessing my speed or how much fuel I have I should probably get this sorted.
https://i.imgur.com/GJjckdA.gif
Posted 28th Apr 2021 at 06:06
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #2
low battery voltage or bad connection somewhere, often battery terminals or engne bay fusebox

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 28th Apr 2021 at 19:07
ajk

Post #3
Thanks will check the terminals and connections again.
Posted 1st May 2021 at 09:26
83kY

Post #4
I remember seeing weird instrument cluster behavior (on a ph2 car) when the fuse box on the dash had cracked solders on the parts where the multi layered circuit boards connect to each other. It needed a reflow on those connections on the outmost board. The fuse box is easily removed, pull the tab on the sides, slide it sideways and pull out, remove connectors (color coded and notched so you can't mess them up when re-connecting).

Can't remember if the fuses had to be removed to disassemble the cover on the fuse box but one can easily take a picture of them before if they need to come out.

If I remember right (it was +15 years ago) this particular example had problems with speedo not working and all the background lights of buttons/instrument cluster were out. It was also an intermittent problem at first that eventually became constant.
Posted 17th May 2021 at 14:39