displaying posts 1 to 8 of 8

Author Subject: Inconsistent brakes after replacing fluid
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
So I think I did a stupid thing and pumped through all the brake fluid by repeatedly pressing the pedal to the floor with each nipple open one at a time. I then replaced the front nipples and refilled / bled through the system.

Pedal feels great but I have less initial bite and sometimes it feels like the car isn't stopping, other times it feels a lot better.

Any ideas what it could be?

I have a feeling I wasn't supposed to empty the fluid completely...

Rallye Race Car
Posted 26th Mar 2021 at 09:07
alcon

Senior User

Post #2
When refilling, did you make sure the reservoir was always full? I know there's a risk that if you let the level drop too far you will simply draw in more air.

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 26th Mar 2021 at 10:04
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
I'm pretty sure I did. Going to try and bleed again this weekend to be double sure.

I remember having issues in the past where I got air or something trapped in the master cylinder, wonder if I've done the same again

Rallye Race Car
Posted 26th Mar 2021 at 17:57
alcon

Senior User

Post #4
Others have said they've had air trapped in the ABS block as well

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 26th Mar 2021 at 18:45
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #5
never had any issues with air in a french car other than a 405 Mi, 306/205 have always been easy, even doing them on my own from dry.

I'd get an Eezibleed and a visibleed, I use the pressure more to keep the reservoir topped up than to push the fluid through.

What if your intake setup like? still running the vacuum pump?

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 27th Mar 2021 at 09:22
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Worth noting I've got no ABS and am on bodies so servo vacuum is only coming from the pump

Rallye Race Car
Posted 27th Mar 2021 at 10:36
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
welshpug! wrote:
never had any issues with air in a french car other than a 405 Mi, 306/205 have always been easy, even doing them on my own from dry.

I'd get an Eezibleed and a visibleed, I use the pressure more to keep the reservoir topped up than to push the fluid through.

What if your intake setup like? still running the vacuum pump?

I had a issue similar to you with a small amount of trapped air when I stripped all my brake lines out and fitted a bios ajuster and took the rear compensator off the rear beam
I used what Welshpug said a Eezbleed from Halfords to pressure the top up reservoir with a spare tyre pressure and I was shocked that Air bubbles still came out even after doing everything I’d been use to doing over the years ...Eezibleed FTW

_
Posted 27th Mar 2021 at 15:31
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
I’ve now bought a better option from Machine Mart but not cheap if your only using it occasionally...plus it cost me a fortune as I use Castrol React SRF Racing which is £50 litre plus vat and I found out the hard way I needed two litres in the unit below for it to work properly but it gets the brakes done as quick as I can on my own now ...so worth the cost long term I guess ...

Posted 27th Mar 2021 at 15:32