displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: Airbag light
eiei0

Regular

Post #1
Hi All

Got the 6 running again and the airbag light is on, the more I think about it I think not was on when I bought the car last year but I took it apart the day it landed so can't be sure,

Read through a lot of old posts here,
If it's the airbag light is there any point going at the wires under the seat isn't that a different light?

Thanks
Posted 23rd Mar 2021 at 22:25
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #2
Funny timing. As it happens now that I've basically finished the first phase of my 6 assessment (mechanicals and body) I've spent time looking at the airbag lights. The MOT will be booked soon and I'm f**king fed up of jiggling the wires under the seat and/or resetting the code with PP and simply hoping for the best. The lights inevitably come on again very soon afterwards...

From my undertanding, the airbag light can still relate to poor wiring under the seat.

I took both seats out and checked the wiring to the airbag ECU with a multimeter - all fine. The wiring on the seats has been re-made by me and previous owners and was a mess. I decided to cut out all the shoddy joins and use these automotive style connectors to re-make the connections well: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-3Pin-Way-Car-Auto-Waterproof-Electrical-Wire-Connectors-Plug-Socket-10-20-30pc/173975177146?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=472757536578&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

One thing I noticed was that the single earth wire on the driver's side was chafed through to the copper from rubbing on the steel frame of the seat. This may have been the source of the problems.

I installed the seats with the new connectors, neatly zip tied the wires to the seat base, used the original 3-connector mounting plastic with the new connectors to keep them from dangling in the wind, and turned on the ignition. No more lights, thank god. I provoked the system by moving and flipping both seats many times but they're still off and I didn't event need to get out PP.

I would advise doing a methodical, thorough job from beginning to end to ensure that, if you do still have lights on after this work you'll know that the under-seat wiring is no longer the cause.

The SRS on a 306 shouldn't have to be an utter bas**rd all the time; it isn't on most other cars. It's just taking the time to do a really neat and secure job whilst checking the entire exposed wire lengths for faults that fixes it I think.
Posted 24th Mar 2021 at 08:24
eiei0

Regular

Post #3
Thanks for the great reply, did you also redo the wires to the PAS airbag and or the steering wheel??

Thanks
Posted 24th Mar 2021 at 08:53
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #4
Two of the connectors were non-original on the passenger side for me - I left one remaining original red connector alone as it seemed in good condition. I have not looked at the steering wheel clock ring, or either of the 2 front airbags. Historically my lights would always go out eventually with under-seat wiggling, strongly suggesting that this area was the cause. I have no good evidence that the other 2 airbags cause any issues for my car and this makes sense because the wiring is subject to much less or no movement.

If this rabbit hole goes deeper for me, then I'll be looking at these areas next. But only if I have to.

Edit: I realise you probably mean the passenger front airbag. I was referring to the passenger side airbag initially with those connectors in my reply. The rest still stands.
Posted 24th Mar 2021 at 09:09
eiei0

Regular

Post #5
I redid the 2 plugs either side I couldn't find any nice plugs locally so I just soldered the wires and so far light is out,

I also got a copy of PP2000 so if it comes back I should be able to pinpoint where it is,
Posted 26th Mar 2021 at 08:54