displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: Safe Start Up
eiei0

Regular

Post #1
Hi All

My 6 has been lying up for 8 years it was started over that time but I bought it a year ago and have not started it since,

What is a safe way to get the engine ready to start, it has new oil plugs filters ect?

Thanks
Posted 14th Mar 2021 at 08:31
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #2
Personally I'd want to fit a new timing belt kit (or be sure that it was done recently) before starting.

I also usually disconnect each of the 4 injector wiring plugs before starting, and crank the engine for 2 lots of 5-10 seconds, with a ~30 second gap, to make sure oil moves around a little.

Edit:
Another thing that I would do, and have done a few times over the last week or so because I've been carrying out a fair bit of remedial work on my 6 during lockdown, is to check for coolant leaks and esure the system is reliable. As it idles keep an eye out for leaks from perished hoses and make sure that the cooling fans work as intended. They will both spin at low speed from 97 degrees and turn off again when the temp has dropped back close to ~90.

I usually check the high speed function by removing the Bitron wiring connector (brown plug on the thermostat housing) during idle and making sure there's a hurricane under the bonnet. Note; when you disconnect the Bitron sensor the fans will spin at low speed for a few seconds before changing to high speed permanently until you plug the connector back in.

The other way to check high speed operation is to let the coolant reach 107 degrees and there's no way I'm doing that. LOL
Posted 14th Mar 2021 at 09:11
eiei0

Regular

Post #3
Thanks for the reply I have arranged to get the belt done but need to move it from the shed to the recovery truck it won't be driven with the belt as is,
Posted 14th Mar 2021 at 13:30
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #4
Fire it over with the plugs removed and injectors disconnected, gets the oil moving decent before refitting plugs and wiring.

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 14th Mar 2021 at 20:37
craig903

Regular

Post #5
replace belt, fuel off, plugs out and build oil pressure,

208 GTI Owner
Turbo'd '6 project - work in progress
Posted 15th Mar 2021 at 20:56
eiei0

Regular

Post #6
Thanks for all the replies Guys, Hope to get it running by the weekend all going to plan,

Posted 16th Mar 2021 at 15:11