displaying posts 1 to 4 of 4

Author Subject: How to lock crank when doing seal
eiei0

Regular

Post #1
Hi All

I am planning to get the timing belt done soon and I want to do the Crank Seal when the belt is off, how can the crank be locked if both pulleys are removed,

Is there a locking pin on the flywheel,

Thanks
Trevor

And no I will not be doing it my self as I have read so many horror stories about belts I am freaked out,
Posted 8th Feb 2021 at 10:03
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #2
eiei0 wrote:
Hi All

I am planning to get the timing belt done soon and I want to do the Crank Seal when the belt is off, how can the crank be locked if both pulleys are removed,

Is there a locking pin on the flywheel,

Thanks
Trevor

And no I will not be doing it my self as I have read so many horror stories about belts I am freaked out,

It's easy to be freaked out by the horror stories but it's really not that bad. If you're careful and methodical you can't go wrong.

There's no locking pin in the flywheel. You could secure it with a flywheel locking tool in the teeth if you wanted.

1343Z4 coolant hose o-rings for sale
198131 injector o-rings for sale
Posted 8th Feb 2021 at 10:22
eiei0

Regular

Post #3
Thanks Tom engine is in car with gearbox attached and I'm not planning on removing either,

Posted 8th Feb 2021 at 10:41
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #4
To be honest, when doing a belt you don't need to lock the crank. It won't move on it's own and if you were to accidently nudge it, just rotate it back or forth that couple of degrees it was nudged. The pistons are all at half stroke when in the timing position so you have room to turn the crank slightly if needed.

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 16th Feb 2021 at 23:47