displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: Head Tightening
Dab4318

Post #1
Hi all.

Yesterday I put the head back on engine and I tightened the bolts 35nm 70nm followed by 160 degrees and I am a bit concerned as all I have read is how people have struggled to do them up and worried about the bolts snapping. Well I genuinely didn’t think it was that difficult and am now worried they aren’t tight enough. Anyone have any way of checking?

Cheers Dan
Posted 24th Jan 2021 at 20:56
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
From memory is it not 3 tighten stages then 160 degrees? Depends on how big your bar is, the longer the easier it will be

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner
But now a Black caged rallye owner

Hunting for Go faster bits!

SEARCH

click here
Posted 26th Jan 2021 at 18:38
Dab4318

Post #3
Is it not 35nm, 70nm, and then 160 degrees? I was using a half inch Teng torque wrench. So not overly long.
Posted 26th Jan 2021 at 20:36
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #4
We could always do this the easy way and use the ‘Common torque settings’ FAQ..... Torque settings

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 26th Jan 2021 at 22:05
Dab4318

Post #5
jeffers wrote:
We could always do this the easy way and use the ‘Common torque settings’ FAQ..... Torque settings

That doesn’t help me with my initial concerns though?
Posted 27th Jan 2021 at 20:45
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #6
Dab4318 wrote:
jeffers wrote:

That doesn’t help me with my initial concerns though?

They’re stretch bolts, as long as you follow the guidance I don’t know what more you want? I’m not aware of a specific torque setting. I’ve always used the attached guide and it’s not let me down. My advice is follow the known guidance and don’t panic, being a stretch bolt I have found in the past they don’t feel the same as a non stretch bolt when tightened think it’s just one of them things, I’m happy to be proved wrong but as said I’ve used the above guide and not had an issue.

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 27th Jan 2021 at 23:19
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #7
Dab4318 wrote:
Hi all.

Yesterday I put the head back on engine and I tightened the bolts 35nm 70nm followed by 160 degrees and I am a bit concerned as all I have read is how people have struggled to do them up and worried about the bolts snapping. Well I genuinely didn’t think it was that difficult and am now worried they aren’t tight enough. Anyone have any way of checking?

Cheers Dan

I think originally the specs were 35nm, 70nm then 180degs but this was revised to the 160degs final angle tighten (and what the data in the FAQ says).

There's no way of checking so you can either tighten everything a further 20 degrees or stick with what you've got. I'd be relying on what the FAQ says, the information there is from Autodata and there must be hundreds if not thousands of head bolts that have been tightened down to those specs.

1343Z4 coolant hose o-rings for sale
198131 injector o-rings for sale
Posted 28th Jan 2021 at 09:14