displaying posts 1 to 4 of 4

Author Subject: Windscreen removal
alcon

Senior User

Post #1
Has anyone done this successfully? I need to remove both the windscreen and tailgate glass before a respray but is it worth doing myself or should it be left to the pros (ie. autoglass or the like)? Also, would you trust a bodyshop to do it themselves?

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 27th Sep 2020 at 21:19
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
alcon wrote:
Has anyone done this successfully? I need to remove both the windscreen and tailgate glass before a respray but is it worth doing myself or should it be left to the pros (ie. autoglass or the like)? Also, would you trust a bodyshop to do it themselves?

I do this for a living ....you can buy some basic stuff cheese wire / pair of handles and a wire feeder - I wouldn’t recommend a Kent knife though and then you could do it yourself if the windscreen is good enough condition and not gone milky white on the bottom corners edges but by the time you have done that you might as well pay someone who has a proper Ezi wire cut out machine £250 -£450 to buy and then they can refit it also Thumbs up

Your money your call ?
Posted 27th Sep 2020 at 21:55
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
i did it on mine and tbh its probably a job better left for the guys with the right tools - i didn't need to save the screen so wasn't worried but if you want to re use id get it done professionally
Posted 28th Sep 2020 at 12:48
alcon

Senior User

Post #4
Cheers guys, sounds like it's a job for the pros then who have the right tools and knowhow. I do need to save my glass so probably not worth the risk of me screwing it up!

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 28th Sep 2020 at 13:02