displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: 3D Printed Replica Gearknobs - Anyone interested?
ale624

Regular

Location: bristol

Registered: 02 May 2016

Posts: 171

Status: Offline

Post #1
Hey Guys,

While i've had the gearstick out of my car i thought it might be an interesting challenge for me to try and recreate an exact copy of the GTI6 Gearknob, as they are no longer being made!

(cap is not pushed in all the way)


I have basically succeeded in what I set out to do, which is nice for a change!
I have modelled and printed a body out of Carbon Fibre infused plastic that is exactly the same as the original Peugeot Rubberised one.

I have also made a 99% accurate top "button"/insert and resin printed that. The numbers and lines were modelled directly from a photo of my original knob. the only real inaccuracies are the 5 is missing a small flick and the 6 is slightly too thin, but I will fix that before printing another!

This is the first time I've ever stitched or dealt with leather before, so I'm not the greatest, but I think it turned out pretty damn good!



(rough top surface as these are printed upside down and supports are here. This is all under the cap and not shown though)






I am going to paint that cap in "chrome" and then lacquer to closer match the original, and make the text black. Just used blue as I had it on-hand!

I have enough leather to make another knob and could easily buy more if there is any demand.

would anyone be interested in one of these??
I was thinking somewhere around £35 covered and £25 just the raw printed parts?

- Alex Smile
Posted 5th Sep 2020 at 19:47
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Location: Bristol

Registered: 20 Apr 2013

Posts: 4,658

Status: Offline

Post #2
Blimey Alex well done Thumbs up

Another knob expert on the scene...

I see Alex your based in Bristol ?...where abouts m8 I live in Wick
Also do you get involved in much 3D printing ?

I ask because I’m going to need a angled inlet spacer printed for my new inlet ?

Damien
Posted 6th Sep 2020 at 13:00
ale624

Regular

Location: bristol

Registered: 02 May 2016

Posts: 171

Status: Offline

Post #3
Day666 wrote:
Blimey Alex well done Thumbs up

Another knob expert on the scene...

I see Alex your based in Bristol ?...where abouts m8 I live in Wick
Also do you get involved in much 3D printing ?

I ask because I’m going to need a angled inlet spacer printed for my new inlet ?

Damien

Cheers Mate! pretty chuffed with it.

Yeah, nice to meet a fellow bristolian! I'm over in Brislington Smile

I do a fair amount of 3D printing and modelling yes, mainly as a hobby, but I do sell a couple of bits and bobs now and then LOL
mainly on eBay

I'd be happy to help out with that though!
Do you have a model already or would you need something totally custom?
Posted 6th Sep 2020 at 14:34
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Location: Bristol

Registered: 20 Apr 2013

Posts: 4,658

Status: Offline

Post #4
ale624 wrote:
Day666 wrote:
Blimey Alex well done Thumbs up

Another knob expert on the scene...

I see Alex your based in Bristol ?...where abouts m8 I live in Wick
Also do you get involved in much 3D printing ?

I ask because I’m going to need a angled inlet spacer printed for my new inlet ?

Damien

Cheers Mate! pretty chuffed with it.

Yeah, nice to meet a fellow bristolian! I'm over in Brislington Smile

I do a fair amount of 3D printing and modelling yes, mainly as a hobby, but I do sell a couple of bits and bobs now and then LOL
mainly on eBay

I'd be happy to help out with that though!
Do you have a model already or would you need something totally custom?


Custom if that’s ok Thumbs up
Posted 6th Sep 2020 at 21:59
gnrlee Forum Owner

Location: Leeds

Registered: 20 Aug 2005

Posts: 8,802

Status: Offline

Post #5
Hey Alex,..

nice to see someone else like minded!
i'm also a 3D multimedia designer and I 3D Print too,.. I have an FDM Ender 3D and an SLA Elegoo Mars
(awesome for detailed 3D models)

not a Bad attempt at the ph3 Knob your where I was about 2yrs ago
I 3D printed the body in Black TPU but at nearly 13hours a print I abandoned that! LOL
I reproduce these now and we have someone that created the Ph3 Caps near perfect Injection Moulded and and Alu plated like the originals

surprised you've not seen any of my knobs i'm renowned for it with every knob joke/innuendo you can think of Laugh

here are some of mine
these are with a real carbon fibre Cap made from the mould of an original
body remade and re-leathered by me


and these are the Ph3 Caps I think paul Charges £22 each for them if you want a Cap give me a shout and i'll point you in the right direction!


looking forward to see what else you come up with Thumbs up

________________________________________

Proud Member of the ASTOR Owners Club
Posted 7th Sep 2020 at 18:44
ale624

Regular

Location: bristol

Registered: 02 May 2016

Posts: 171

Status: Offline

Post #6
gnrlee wrote:
Hey Alex,..

nice to see someone else like minded!
i'm also a 3D multimedia designer and I 3D Print too,.. I have an FDM Ender 3D and an SLA Elegoo Mars
(awesome for detailed 3D models)

not a Bad attempt at the ph3 Knob your where I was about 2yrs ago
I 3D printed the body in Black TPU but at nearly 13hours a print I abandoned that! LOL
I reproduce these now and we have someone that created the Ph3 Caps near perfect Injection Moulded and and Alu plated like the originals

surprised you've not seen any of my knobs i'm renowned for it with every knob joke/innuendo you can think of Laugh

and these are the Ph3 Caps I think paul Charges £22 each for them if you want a Cap give me a shout and i'll point you in the right direction!

looking forward to see what else you come up with Thumbs up


Ah, I had seen a couple threads of yours from a looonngg time ago when I was looking up how to re-leather them! Didn't realize you had continued to such a stage!

I also have an elegoo mars (what the cap is printed on) and a heavily modified Anet A8, dual direct drive all metal hot-end etc.

I can print TPU at a fair old speed, could probably print one on the knobs I've modled in about an hour or two out of TPU. I am curious though as I couldn't find any information really on why the cores are rubbery?

Is it just a feel thing?? Or is it to prevent where the shaft goes through from wallering out over time??

Are you currently using new centres or originals in the ones you sell?

Wow those caps do look incredible, the Alu plating is something I could only dream of haha.
I'd love to get my hands on a couple of those fresh ones!
Posted 8th Sep 2020 at 01:01
gnrlee Forum Owner

Location: Leeds

Registered: 20 Aug 2005

Posts: 8,802

Status: Offline

Post #7
my Ender has a 32bit custom board, hot end, extruder, pretty much everything,.. but i'm just too busy to get any real use out of it haha (I design RC Body Shells)

the Gear Knob bodies are made of rubber to help them grip to the gear stick and possibly for feel too,..

I make brand new bodies moulded form originals you get a near perfect representation and guaranteed longer life a lot of the originals are starting to Crumble and perish now which is why I had to come up with an alternative if I was to carry on and take it forward,..

as soon as I get a good ph2 Cap i'll try have Paul put those into production too
but if you'd like a Cap there you can Message Paul Here

________________________________________

Proud Member of the ASTOR Owners Club
Posted 8th Sep 2020 at 08:24
Nose

Senior User

Location: Birmingham

Registered: 23 Jun 2013

Posts: 978

Status: Offline

Post #8
I have no idea wtf you 2 guys are talking about with your TPU and you Anet A8 (isn't that an Audi?) but i'm a bit concerned about Al and his 'metal hot end' - get yourself to the quacks mate, i'm sure they do some cream you could rub on that! Anyway you have both done great work with your knobs Thumbs up

________________________________________

Bianca 306 Rallye.
Mondeo Titanium X.
Posted 8th Sep 2020 at 08:29
gnrlee Forum Owner

Location: Leeds

Registered: 20 Aug 2005

Posts: 8,802

Status: Offline

Post #9
Laugh my ass off it's all about the hot ends and TPU's if you don't keep up you'll be left behind! LOL

________________________________________

Proud Member of the ASTOR Owners Club
Posted 8th Sep 2020 at 13:40
ale624

Regular

Location: bristol

Registered: 02 May 2016

Posts: 171

Status: Offline

Post #10
Hahaha!

Ah, i see, thats pretty cool then! nice work!

I don't have Facebook, but it also look like that link is broken!
Posted 10th Sep 2020 at 11:21
gnrlee Forum Owner

Location: Leeds

Registered: 20 Aug 2005

Posts: 8,802

Status: Offline

Post #11
You need to be logged into FB to see it,..
He does have them on Ebay too

________________________________________

Proud Member of the ASTOR Owners Club
Posted 11th Sep 2020 at 00:41

All times are GMT. The time is now 13:06

The Peugeot GTi-6 & Rallye Owners Club Ltd - Registered in England & Wales - Reg No: 07410694 - ©2020 all rights reserved.

Please Note : The views and opinions found herein are those of individuals, and not of The Peugeot 306 GTi-6 & Rallye Owners Club Ltd or any individuals involved.
No responsibility is taken or assumed for any comments or statements made on, or in relation to, this website. Please see our updated privacy policy and legal information