displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: Power steering options
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Location: Londinium

Registered: 29 Nov 2010

Posts: 2,655

Status: Offline

Post #1
I'm thinking about putting power steering back in the race car, at least of some sort. I can manage the car as it is now with no assistance but if I think about putting more castor on it'll be too heavy to deal with.

As far as I can see I have 3 options:

1. Put the PAS pump back on and I guess relocate it lower to clear the throttle bodies. Then I'd need to get pipes made to fit the Ph2 Xsara rack I have on.

2. 106 / Saxo PAS system with the electrically driven pump. A bit of wiring to get it in and find a place for the pump itself but maybe less drag on the engine?

3. Corsa B column. I had one of these and fitting it looked to be more work than I would like. Easiest way would be to remove the ski ramp altogether and have a custom column mount made.

I'm leaning toward putting the standard pump back on and getting pipes made. Main benefits I see are it already has a tidy place to go and doesn't require wiring. I'd need to get pipes made which is a bit less ideal but then I could get some made with a dry break system (or something) to make engine removal easier.

Am I missing anything?

________________________________________

Rallye Race Car
Posted 10th Aug 2020 at 13:23
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Location: Bucks

Registered: 25 Feb 2007

Posts: 2,374

Status: Offline

Post #2
I love my corsa column and if you can weld its really not that much of a effort and is very adjustable so can be fine tuned to what you prefer.

On another note what you doing in terms of gaining castor? Ive been looking alot myself but not many options out there bar satchell - or lower arms from ebay but means loosing arb and not sure how i feel about that bit lol
Posted 10th Aug 2020 at 16:41
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Location: Bristol

Registered: 20 Apr 2013

Posts: 4,658

Status: Offline

Post #3
Hi Dan
Yep I realised I needed PAS after last Combe day before Mike Bland riding shotgun blew both my driveshafts LOL

I’m running 215s now also and the car just beat the s-it out of me for 7laps ...

I don’t think it helps that I run a 2.4 phase1 rack either ...

Just to make you think ?
If you remove the Steering triangle then you remove the standard brake and clutch pedals as you may know ?
If you run a pedal box already it’s not to bad 👍

Must admit ...Mikes got his setup well with his Corsa EPAS

Posted 10th Aug 2020 at 18:11
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Location: Londinium

Registered: 29 Nov 2010

Posts: 2,655

Status: Offline

Post #4
I tried to copy the setup Mike has but couldn't make it work well at all. It didn't sit straight, and would result in me buying a new boss.

I don't really want to change pedal box so losing the ski ramp is out of the question. Other option is to pay a company to install it, which is an idea, but then comes at even more of a cost.

Interesting question though, do you lose more from the engine through running more load on the alternator to power an EPAS or through a PAS pump directly.

________________________________________

Rallye Race Car
Posted 10th Aug 2020 at 18:14
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Location: Bristol

Registered: 20 Apr 2013

Posts: 4,658

Status: Offline

Post #5
demondriverdan wrote:
I tried to copy the setup Mike has but couldn't make it work well at all. It didn't sit straight, and would result in me buying a new boss.

I don't really want to change pedal box so losing the ski ramp is out of the question. Other option is to pay a company to install it, which is an idea, but then comes at even more of a cost.

Interesting question though, do you lose more from the engine through running more load on the alternator to power an EPAS or through a PAS pump directly.


Honestly Dan ....if you had a good look again at Mikes I recon you’d do it easily mucker .....
No you don’t suffer EPAS draw m8 Thumbs up
They do pull 30amps but a good battery and a 40amp Altenator can easily keep up ...

I’ve spoken to two companies about retro fitting and one was £700 near as dam and other wais £1300

The great thing about Mikes is it’s ajustable and he’s never had it on full I believe?
Posted 10th Aug 2020 at 18:22
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Location: Bigend, Wales.

Registered: 27 Mar 2007

Posts: 25,692

Status: Offline

Post #6
number 1 is easy, early xu10 non ac, i.e s16, xsi, standard pipework and bracketry, adapt the ends to xsara fittings, same fittings used on berlingo/partner/xsara picasso, may be able to use half the pipe and join it to the pump end that you need.

________________________________________

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 10th Aug 2020 at 20:04
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Location: Bristol

Registered: 20 Apr 2013

Posts: 4,658

Status: Offline

Post #7
welshpug! wrote:
number 1 is easy, early xu10 non ac, i.e s16, xsi, standard pipework and bracketry, adapt the ends to xsara fittings, same fittings used on berlingo/partner/xsara picasso, may be able to use half the pipe and join it to the pump end that you need.


Mei isnt it going to pull some power away with another pump/ pully ....a little with more drag mucker ?
Dan needs every 1 bhp or 1/2 he can find ?

I know personally on my old standard engine with Jenvey it felt more responsive and better with PAS delete Thumbs up
Posted 11th Aug 2020 at 14:01
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Location: Bigend, Wales.

Registered: 27 Mar 2007

Posts: 25,692

Status: Offline

Post #8
is that not just moving more draw into the electrical system? 🤔

________________________________________

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 11th Aug 2020 at 14:51
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Location: Londinium

Registered: 29 Nov 2010

Posts: 2,655

Status: Offline

Post #9
Mei, that was my question, what's the difference between running an EPAS and putting load through the alternator and a conventional PAS.

Only thing I can think of is that I'm guessing the EPAS only pulls a current when it's being used, so if you're in a straight line it shouldn't be drawing any power whereas a conventional PAS will always be drawing something from the engine.

________________________________________

Rallye Race Car
Posted 12th Aug 2020 at 17:36
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Location: Bucks

Registered: 25 Feb 2007

Posts: 2,374

Status: Offline

Post #10
Day666 wrote:
demondriverdan wrote:
I tried to copy the setup Mike has but couldn't make it work well at all. It didn't sit straight, and would result in me buying a new boss.

I don't really want to change pedal box so losing the ski ramp is out of the question. Other option is to pay a company to install it, which is an idea, but then comes at even more of a cost.

Interesting question though, do you lose more from the engine through running more load on the alternator to power an EPAS or through a PAS pump directly.




The great thing about Mikes is it’s ajustable and he’s never had it on full I believe?


Yep 1 click is enough (have 10 clicks) fully on is finger light but I find with the current set up the first setting is just right
Posted 12th Aug 2020 at 20:44
turboblack

Junior User

Location: San Lorenzo Isontino

Registered: 04 Mar 2010

Posts: 77

Status: Offline

Post #11
Sorry for disturbing your post, but I'm searching info's about steering assist setups. What works Is needed for the Saxo Electric pump? And the swap with the Berlingo mk2 HDi pump and pipes? Thanks.

________________________________________

306cab 2.0 16v:
Wossner 12:1
45mm Jenvey
Piper 285H
6 Gearbox + Quaife LSD
406 Brembo
D2 Suspension
E-tech Strut Brace
Emerald K6 Ecu
Posted 29th Aug 2020 at 16:11

Adrian Flux
All times are GMT. The time is now 12:38

The Peugeot GTi-6 & Rallye Owners Club Ltd - Registered in England & Wales - Reg No: 07410694 - ©2020 all rights reserved.

Please Note : The views and opinions found herein are those of individuals, and not of The Peugeot 306 GTi-6 & Rallye Owners Club Ltd or any individuals involved.
No responsibility is taken or assumed for any comments or statements made on, or in relation to, this website. Please see our updated privacy policy and legal information