displaying posts 1 to 2 of 2

Author Subject: Twin fans
spillett170

Post #1
I read another post that said both fans should come on when engine gets certain temp. I have unplugged brown sensor but only one fan comes on. I thought one fan was only for air con? Is there a common fault with these fans?
I've also heard of people hard wiring fan to air con button is this an easy a.d advisable step to take?

sjs
Posted 25th Jun 2020 at 23:09
AlMortz

Junior User

Post #2
I've actually just fixed this on mine.

When you unplug the brown sensor, both fans come on. First at low speed for a few seconds, and then on high speed.

When the fans work on low speed, they are wired up in series and are sharing voltage, through only the left green relay in the fan cowling. When they run at high speed, the black relay switches the right green relay on, and both fans receive 12v.

There could be a few issues with yours. Check the relays in the fan cowling, check the fan control unit in the passenger arch, check that both fans actually work (can send 12v directly to them to check), and check the wiring (including the loom) has no shorts or breaks.

Getting the air con button to run your fans is real simple. Take a look here - http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=123407
Posted 25th Jun 2020 at 23:46