displaying posts 1 to 2 of 2

Author Subject: Keys and Immobliser
MarcO

Post #1
Hi, I bought a Phase 3 Gti6 a few weeks ago in a bout of nostalgia. Standard problems, aircon and electric mirrors not working.

The car came with 2 sets of keys, none of which are remote keys. The previous owner said the remote key broke and the chip is taped to the receiver. The steering lock also doesn't engage as I have found out.

I have had the cowl off the steering wheel and can't see anything that looks like it shouldn't be there. Would be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction as to what i am looking for.

The car starts no problem with either of the other 2 keys

Thanks

Marc
Posted 11th Jun 2020 at 13:16
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #2
Receiver for the remote central locking I think is in the overhead console, where the interior lights etc are but I don't think that's what you are looking for.

The receiver for the immobiliser transponder is a black plastic ring that normally lives around the ignition barrel I think. I'm guessing if the key broken they took the immobiliser chip out and taped it to said ring. Shouldn't be too hard to find as the length of wiring to it, if memory serves me right, isn't that long.

Cherry Red Rallye .... On going OEM spec resto

China Blue GTi6 .... Weekend toy

Black 208 GTi .... Wife's car now

Silver BMW 550i.... The executive missile

Posted 12th Jun 2020 at 00:08