displaying posts 1 to 3 of 3

Author Subject: Ticking noise after head gasket change
Jessieko

Post #1
So as the title says, I get a ticking noise comming from the cam cover, it varies with rpm's.

In the worst case scenario where its a bent valve or a bad timing, how long can it keep on driving before catastrophic failure ?
I just started a new job and dont have the founds to redo it or change cars for the comming months.

Also I noticed it's quite stormy under the oil fil cap, with hot air comming out, but maybe that's just normal.

I really hope it only needs to get the oil pumping again as the head was off for a few days. tomorrow I will take her on a ride and try to record the sound.
Posted 4th May 2020 at 01:26
woody.

Senior User

Post #2
I had this after a cambelt change, thought the worst but turned out to be a sticky lifter. Give all the buckets a poke, you might just hear one ping and take up the clearance again.
Posted 4th May 2020 at 21:03
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #3
Need a video ideally. Try and get one up on YouTube and post the link here and we can listen. Thumbs up

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 17th May 2020 at 21:37