displaying posts 1 to 23 of 23

Author Subject: Tool for CV boot clips
alcon

Senior User

Location: Glasgow

Registered: 19 Jan 2005

Posts: 898

Status: Offline

Post #1
whats the official name of the clips that are used around the CV boots? And more importantly, can anyone point me in the direction of a decent set of the proper pliers? I'm not looking for Snap-on quality but nothing too nasty either.

________________________________________

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 30th Apr 2020 at 20:55
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Location: Lutterworth

Registered: 01 Sep 2007

Posts: 2,916

Status: Offline

Post #2
Alistair......

Known as Oetiker clips or clamps I believe

You need a pair of these.

sexy pliers clicky link

________________________________________

Cherry Red Rallye .... On going OEM spec resto

China Blue GTi6 .... Daily driver

Silver Ph2 Xsara VTS

Posted 30th Apr 2020 at 21:13
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Location: Bigend, Wales.

Registered: 27 Mar 2007

Posts: 25,756

Status: Offline

Post #3
those are for hose clips.

THESE are for CV boots

________________________________________

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 30th Apr 2020 at 21:34
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Location: Londinium

Registered: 29 Nov 2010

Posts: 2,665

Status: Offline

Post #4
Is there a guide anywhere on how to change the joint? I've got a couple of old driveshafts lying around I'd like to fix up as spares but the joints are pretty soft.

________________________________________

Rallye Race Car
Posted 1st May 2020 at 06:36
jeffers Forum Owner

Location: Leeds

Registered: 14 Dec 2003

Posts: 3,701

Status: Offline

Post #5
demondriverdan wrote:
Is there a guide anywhere on how to change the joint? I've got a couple of old driveshafts lying around I'd like to fix up as spares but the joints are pretty soft.

I’ve done one once before, if I have a bit more time later il write a bit of a guide.

________________________________________

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 1st May 2020 at 08:15
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Location: Bigend, Wales.

Registered: 27 Mar 2007

Posts: 25,756

Status: Offline

Post #6
Clicky


that video pretty much covers it to a tee.


with oem shafts unless its actually clunking I would just wash out and replace the grease with fresh, avoid the stretchy rubber boots, the stiff thermoplastic ones seem to last much better especially these days with aftermarket rubber stuff not lasting at all.

________________________________________

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 7th May 2020 at 08:48
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Location: Londinium

Registered: 29 Nov 2010

Posts: 2,665

Status: Offline

Post #7
No issue with the joint being loose? I don't think any of them clunk but they all wobble around what seems like quite a lot.

Mei, the stiff thermoplastic ones are from Pug?

________________________________________

Rallye Race Car
Posted 1st May 2020 at 09:13
alcon

Senior User

Location: Glasgow

Registered: 19 Jan 2005

Posts: 898

Status: Offline

Post #8
Thanks Ben/Welshpug, I'll see what I can get.

I'm only planning on stripping out the old grease and replacing with new plus replacing the slightly worn looking boots. I've managed to get genuine pug replacements with the proper clips.

Dan....there is an FAQ on here for replacing driveshaft boots....done by Welly many moons ago.

________________________________________

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 1st May 2020 at 11:00
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Location: Bigend, Wales.

Registered: 27 Mar 2007

Posts: 25,756

Status: Offline

Post #9
GKN boots are the oem type, I have used quite a few for VW joints recently.

________________________________________

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 1st May 2020 at 14:19
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Location: Bristol

Registered: 20 Apr 2013

Posts: 4,994

Status: Offline

Post #10
welshpug! wrote:
GKN boots are the oem type, I have used quite a few for VW joints recently.


As Mei said GKN boots are the best ones ...very solid plastic and don’t ballon for the Trackday / Racer chaps ...I’ve just fitted all GKN CVs which came with the boots Thumbs up

Shafttec boots are very rubbery and ballon
Posted 2nd May 2020 at 14:21
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Location: Bristol

Registered: 20 Apr 2013

Posts: 4,994

Status: Offline

Post #11
Ben_W wrote:
Alistair......

Known as Oetiker clips or clamps I believe

You need a pair of these.

sexy pliers clicky link


Those are for the horrible under bonnet water hose clips
Posted 2nd May 2020 at 14:22
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Location: Bristol

Registered: 20 Apr 2013

Posts: 4,994

Status: Offline

Post #12
welshpug! wrote:
GKN boots are the oem type, I have used quite a few for VW joints recently.



100% what I bought and use very sturdy
https://flic.kr/p/2iWHQVm
Posted 2nd May 2020 at 14:25
RallyeP6

Regular

Location: West Byfleet

Registered: 11 Jul 2013

Posts: 447

Status: Offline

Post #13
That CV joint boot clip tool which I paid allot for and only ever used it once.
Posted 3rd May 2020 at 10:05
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Location: Bigend, Wales.

Registered: 27 Mar 2007

Posts: 25,756

Status: Offline

Post #14
they're only £20 or so, wouldn't call that a lot?

________________________________________

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 3rd May 2020 at 12:53
alcon

Senior User

Location: Glasgow

Registered: 19 Jan 2005

Posts: 898

Status: Offline

Post #15
where are you all buying your GKN boots and CV joints from?

________________________________________

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 4th May 2020 at 10:21
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Location: Bristol

Registered: 20 Apr 2013

Posts: 4,994

Status: Offline

Post #16
RallyeP6 wrote:
That CV joint boot clip tool which I paid allot for and only ever used it once.


Same here but you try and do it without it ..£20 worth every penny Thumbs up
Posted 4th May 2020 at 16:47
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Location: Bristol

Registered: 20 Apr 2013

Posts: 4,994

Status: Offline

Post #17
alcon wrote:
where are you all buying your GKN boots and CV joints from?


I take it this was meant for me Alistair ?

I’m running ML outer CVs GKN got them from Eurocarparts parts and made sure they were genuine with hologram and they came with Boots and clips

Inners are GKN VW ones from Euros also and the boots came from Merlin Motorsport
Posted 4th May 2020 at 16:51
alcon

Senior User

Location: Glasgow

Registered: 19 Jan 2005

Posts: 898

Status: Offline

Post #18
Day666 wrote:
alcon wrote:
where are you all buying your GKN boots and CV joints from?


I take it this was meant for me Alistair ?

I’m running ML outer CVs GKN got them from Eurocarparts parts and made sure they were genuine with hologram and they came with Boots and clips

Inners are GKN VW ones from Euros also and the boots came from Merlin Motorsport


Yes, it was sorry. I had a quick look on Euros but only Q-drive ones coming up for my reg. I'll have a look around see what I can find. Do you rate SKF?....autodoc list them

________________________________________

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 4th May 2020 at 17:40
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Location: Bristol

Registered: 20 Apr 2013

Posts: 4,994

Status: Offline

Post #19
alcon wrote:
Day666 wrote:
alcon wrote:
where are you all buying your GKN boots and CV joints from?


I take it this was meant for me Alistair ?

I’m running ML outer CVs GKN got them from Eurocarparts parts and made sure they were genuine with hologram and they came with Boots and clips

Inners are GKN VW ones from Euros also and the boots came from Merlin Motorsport


Yes, it was sorry. I had a quick look on Euros but only Q-drive ones coming up for my reg. I'll have a look around see what I can find. Do you rate SKF?....autodoc list them


SKF sell direct to the retailer now ..yes GKN /SkF similar ...you have to ring Euros and ask them to check for GKN 👍...
Posted 4th May 2020 at 18:34
RallyeP6

Regular

Location: West Byfleet

Registered: 11 Jul 2013

Posts: 447

Status: Offline

Post #20
Day666 wrote:
RallyeP6 wrote:
That CV joint boot clip tool which I paid allot for and only ever used it once.


Same here but you try and do it without it ..£20 worth every penny Thumbs up


Yes it made the job much easier, though I had to buy a bag of 10 clips too, only to use 2, I think it was off Ebay.
Posted 6th May 2020 at 19:35
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Location: Bristol

Registered: 20 Apr 2013

Posts: 4,994

Status: Offline

Post #21
RallyeP6 wrote:
Day666 wrote:
RallyeP6 wrote:
That CV joint boot clip tool which I paid allot for and only ever used it once.


Same here but you try and do it without it ..£20 worth every penny Thumbs up


Yes it made the job much easier, though I had to buy a bag of 10 clips too, only to use 2, I think it was off Ebay.


They will always come in handy ...could of been in 25s LOL Thumbs up
Posted 6th May 2020 at 19:44
russbez

Seasoned Pro

Location: Inverness-Shire

Registered: 19 Dec 2005

Posts: 7,429

Status: Offline

Post #22
bump

________________________________________

TEAM HIGH BOOST SUPERCHARGED RALLYE

My Rallye project thread
Posted 13th Aug 2021 at 11:27
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Location: Bigend, Wales.

Registered: 27 Mar 2007

Posts: 25,756

Status: Offline

Post #23
wut..

________________________________________

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 14th Aug 2021 at 11:13

All times are GMT. The time is now 14:11

The Peugeot GTi-6 & Rallye Owners Club Ltd - Registered in England & Wales - Reg No: 07410694 - ©2021 all rights reserved.

Please Note : The views and opinions found herein are those of individuals, and not of The Peugeot 306 GTi-6 & Rallye Owners Club Ltd or any individuals involved.
No responsibility is taken or assumed for any comments or statements made on, or in relation to, this website. Please see our updated privacy policy and legal information