displaying posts 1 to 3 of 3

Author Subject: Steering rack replacement or refurb options - down under!
Jellomanpie

Post #1
Hi forum

Thought I better start with an intro......I’m not a mechanic at all. So It’s all new to me!

Whilst in Covid-19 lockdown my son and I decided to take on a project car........it’s a nice way to while away time in Sydney.
His brother had an old 1997 Peugeot 306 N5 2.0 16v XSi (XU10J4R) which he picked up from a mate.
He’d had enough of it and left it for his brother. So now it’s me and the youngest getting this ready for the road!

What have we done? ( I don’t mean, bugger, what have we done? I mean, progress so far !)

Not being mechanics it’s all been Haynes, internet and you tube. With visits to a local wrecker in Sydney (lots of times), some local aftermarket bits and stuff shipped from Europe (Estonians are pretty quick at delivery even during covid!)

Anyway, fixed so far:
- all 4 brake disc’s renewed
- all pads renewed
- all 4 calipers refurbished completely (thanks Bigred for pistons and seals)
- new drivers door wiring loom (from breakers yard)
- new hinge loom ( as above)
- oil, fuel and air filter
- changed oil, steering fluid and brake fluid
- new wipers!

Have just received serpentine and timing belt, plus water pump, power steering pump, crank pulls and other timing belt pulleys etc.........ready to change timing belt (fingers x there......never done it before, or most of the above!)

So that’s about it to date. Only new drama we’ve got is a bit of roughness in steering and a faint banging sound every now and then from somewhere on suspension is guess. Will post on a forum as I progress.

Biggest query though is that I looked at steering rack today and noticed a worn gator on drivers side steering rack rod. It’s full of grit and not much grease (s**te steering doh!) in the steering rack. Probably not something I can refurb, though the rest looks ok......including links, ram and rods etc.

There’s not a lot of options for aftermarket Peugeot parts here and shipping is expensive.
Are there any alternative new aftermarket power steering racks that i could fit?
Or other vehicle brands I could look at searching for?
Could I actually refurbish it myself ????

I’ve also read up that it’s a bit tricky getting rack out and in. So pointers there greatly appreciated too!!

That’s me and my project.

Thanks for any help.
Mark
Posted 26th Apr 2020 at 15:36
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Welcome Mark
Get some pics up if you can m8

Keep the updates coming from down under Thumbs up
Posted 26th Apr 2020 at 17:05
Jellomanpie

Post #3
Thanks for the welcome Day666

I’ve seen how folks like pics, so here’s a few of the project car and the steering/ suspension issues I’ve found. Note car has done 265k so not too bad. Oh, and been sat on drive for 2yrs as sons savings were short.

So moving forwards slowly as a little back on the road project.

Fingers x links work!

Posted 27th Apr 2020 at 12:10