displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: Heater unit
Diablo_GTI6PT

Post #1
Hi guys, im new around here and im from Portugal so sorry for my english..
When i move my temperature knob on my heater unit it only appears to work from cold to middle (21°C), from 21°C to warm i cant hear the motor working..
I ve tried with other heater unit and the same happens !!
Any thoughts ?

cumps

97" Diablo red GTI6
Posted 9th Apr 2020 at 14:16
Joep

Regular

Post #2
Most likely the relay/fuse that controls the heater.

My car park:
'96 Sigma Blue XSi6
'98 Diablo Red GTi6
'99 Onyx Black S16

All RFS powered!

Plus various other Peugeots
Posted 9th Apr 2020 at 17:27
Diablo_GTI6PT

Post #3
Thanks for the reply !
I ve taken the relay out (darker green one) and in one pin it was a little dark on the relay box, nothing to much but worth a look..
Will buy a new one and update the post when i have news !!

97" Diablo red GTI6
Posted 9th Apr 2020 at 18:44
miki4

Regular

Post #4
You will probably need to repair your relay socket. My heater fan began to cut out once in a while and started working again when driving over a pot hole or when giving the fuse/relay box a knock. A new relay did not help. Sanding, cleaning and bending of the contacts in the socket so they made better contact did only help for a while as the crimping was bad and corroded. I cut off the socket with several inches of wiring and replaced it with a good one off a breaker.

The connection must be very good as high current flows through the thick wiring. You can either solder it if you have good experience with a higher power soldering iron or crimp them together with a proper tool. Also replace the relay itself as it can have developed a high contact resistance (or take it apart and clean the contacts).
Posted 10th Apr 2020 at 11:01
Diablo_GTI6PT

Post #5
miki4 wrote:
You will probably need to repair your relay socket. My heater fan began to cut out once in a while and started working again when driving over a pot hole or when giving the fuse/relay box a knock. A new relay did not help. Sanding, cleaning and bending of the contacts in the socket so they made better contact did only help for a while as the crimping was bad and corroded. I cut off the socket with several inches of wiring and replaced it with a good one off a breaker.

The connection must be very good as high current flows through the thick wiring. You can either solder it if you have good experience with a higher power soldering iron or crimp them together with a proper tool. Also replace the relay itself as it can have developed a high contact resistance (or take it apart and clean the contacts).

I wilk replace the relay !!
The connection seems really good, the relay pins were intact and was easy to pull out, only the socket was a little dark, but looks really undamaged..
Will ser if the new relay sorts it out...
The dar is going to paint shop today, it can run without the relay with no problems right ?

97" Diablo red GTI6
Posted 10th Apr 2020 at 11:37
Joep

Regular

Post #6
Yes it should run without, but then you will have no fans/airco/heater working. That is the only thing.

My car park:
'96 Sigma Blue XSi6
'98 Diablo Red GTi6
'99 Onyx Black S16

All RFS powered!

Plus various other Peugeots
Posted 10th Apr 2020 at 12:21
miki4

Regular

Post #7
When you have your new relay, check, if the pins get more than warm after several minutes of running your fan on max. If so, you should really check the wiring on your socket. There are two plastic tabs on the socket, which you can push in and then turn the socket in one direction. It will then release to the back. You will need to unscrew and take out the fuse holder so you can access the socket from behind.
Posted 10th Apr 2020 at 13:43