displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: Inner cv joint
lee306rallye

Regular

Post #1
Evening guys I have a problem with the driver side drive shaft the long one. when removing it from the car it split in the middle where it runs through the engine mount bracket. There is a spring and cup. The spring is 26mm od but unfortunately the spring is snapped and I'm unsure what length its ment to be I have 2 parts of the spring that I could find but unsure if there more as the other end looks snapped to does any one know the length of the spring so I can get 1 made up. I realise this is a long shot question but I have to ask

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=163869
Posted 11th Mar 2020 at 20:08
svvg

Regular

Post #2
Do you still need an answer to this - I’ve just got mine in bits and cleaned up. Just waiting for new boots to arrive before reassembling so can measure in the morning...
Posted 29th May 2020 at 23:37
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #3
might be helpful just to stick it up anyway while you have it in bits,..
no doubt someone will look back at this thread that find themselves in the same situation Thumbs up

Proud Member of the ASTOR Owners Club
Posted 30th May 2020 at 10:51
svvg

Regular

Post #4
Yep. Good point.

I removed the end cap and measured with some callipers. 49mm long. The top and bottom of the springs taper and are flat bottomed so the seat flat inside the cv joint and for the end cap to sit on.
Posted 3rd Jun 2020 at 15:33
lee306rallye

Regular

Post #5
In the end I went to the local salvage and picked up a 406 drive shaft which I paid a tenner for and lucky enough the spring was the same I didn't measure it as I was keen to fix it and put it back on the car. The rallye is now back on the road after 4 years off it. I will get around doing a project thread soon.

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=163869
Posted 4th Jun 2020 at 10:13