displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: Standard Air Box/Options
Lillywhiter

Post #1
Hi all,
Just purchased a Gti 6 yesterday and I am now trying to sort out a few things and get it back up together.
The previous owner removed the standard air intake and box completely , so I'm left with what seems like possibly a risky set up as the universal K&N air filter they have fitted is right down behind the radiator and is very very close to the ground, which looks like it'll pick up water quite easily and after driving it home yesterday in the pouring rain not realising quite how low it was I'm now quite concerned and would prefer to put it back to original if possible.

What's the best option in this situation?
I've just been looking online to try find an original complete air filter box/intake assembly but that's appearing nearly impossible.

Should I try and get an enclosed system, and rig it up pretty much the same way? Or stick with a cone filter, but try and change the placement? (and get some piping that actually fits properly)

Thanks in advanced
Rich
Posted 16th Feb 2020 at 19:04
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #2
Standard airboxes do come up from time to time. Best place is the Facebook page for this group.

Cherry Red Rallye .... On going OEM spec resto

China Blue GTi6 .... Weekend toy

Black 208 GTi .... Wife's car now

Silver BMW 550i.... The executive missile

Posted 16th Feb 2020 at 20:51
pug_306

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
I just sold a good complete airbox kit in good condition on ebay ( sold within 10 minutes and went to Australia ) I might be able to make another kit up but the airboxes I have left are all rusty ones

1998 Supercharged White Rallye
1992 205 GTi6
205 Turbo 340bhp
Posted 16th Feb 2020 at 20:59
Joep

Regular

Post #4
I have a BMC CDA fitted. Points downwards but is still high enough from the ground so I can drive it in rain. Just need to avoid puddles.

Used the OEM tube to connect it with the throttle-body so there is no loss of performance due to altered length between throttle-body and air-filter.

Just be sure to fit it to the gearbox so that it will not smash against the big connectors near the radiator.

My car park:
'96 Sigma Blue XSi6
'98 Diablo Red GTi6
'99 Onyx Black S16

All RFS powered!

Plus various other Peugeots
Posted 17th Feb 2020 at 08:13
Lillywhiter

Post #5
Evening all, thanks for all your help and advice. I only bought the car on Saturday and thought I’d just drop the previous owner a message in case they still had the original air box assembly and fingers crossed he recons he still has it in his garage Smile.

I will let you on how I get on Smile.

Thanks again all!
Posted 18th Feb 2020 at 21:17