displaying posts 76 to 100 of 147

Pages (6): first .. 3 [4] 5 .. last

Author Subject: Mike Blands Race Car
99rallye

Regular

Post #76
Wow. I didn't even know that CAE made shifters for the 306! Are they cable operated?
Posted 19th Jun 2020 at 07:01
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #77
yeah it converts the 306 to cable.
Posted 19th Jun 2020 at 17:01
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #78
Right then
It’s Our very own Mike blands first race ever at Castle Combe today And luckily for us it’s being live streamed on YOTUBE and Face book

Please give your support to him for all the bloody hard work he’s put into that car Thumbs up

Mikes next race 2.00pm
But they are running late by 45mins

Other races to watch well before Thumbs up

YouTube Link 1= https://youtu.be/r-maGHUmiOw

Facebook link 2 = https://www.facebook.com/CastleCombeCircuit/videos/320632632278102/
Posted 4th Jul 2020 at 12:17
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #79
Thanks Damien was a great day. Very very different to a track day, qualifying was interesting and I’ll admit a bit “rabbit in headlights” as was a busy grid so didn’t really get settled in at all and finished up with P21 overall and 6 out of 7 in my class.

Race 1 got on a bit better, although hampered by a last min change of timetable swapping the GT’s with hot hatch as the GT’s were on slicks and rain had come in making it lethal for slicks etc. Only shame was most of the hot hatch grid were on semi slicks including me and with no time to change it was out on the R888R’s in the wet. Tyres were better than expected but defiantly not the right tool for the job but made up to P18 after initially dropping to P24 from a slow start, so progress was made and luckily pretty much the rest of the grid were also on a similar dry tyre so was a cautious race for most.

Onto Race 2 with the weather continuing to drizzle all afternoon was well and truly a wet track race but luckily this time the whole grid had swapped to more suitable tyres which was rainsports for me. Started at P18 again dropping a few places off the line as got bunched up and then overtaken on both left and right side. Started off steady and slowly began to gain confidence in the car and began to make up places. Had some good battles and ended up finishing P12 overall with a class F win and faster lap for class F also so well happy with that considering never raced and never driven in the wet.

Posted 4th Jul 2020 at 22:51
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #80
Fantastic Mike and a trophy on the first race ...like you said it was a full
Sold out grid and difficult weather seeing as you had never raced let alone raced in the Wet !!!!!

Close up pic of that Trophy please

Hers the Clio that went off in front of you near the end over Avon rise ....
Front and rear damage sadly

LOOK AWAY ASH (Roland RAT)

Posted 4th Jul 2020 at 23:52
matty_rallye

Senior User

Post #81
Well done. Watched a bit on Facebook (not when you were out unfortunately) and it certainly looked very wet.

2.1 16v 306 Rallye.
Posted 5th Jul 2020 at 07:18
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #82
Thanks

Yeah Clio was a mess driver was already out car before see it so must of been towards the front of the grid. Was a interesting day to say the least but good fun all the same.

Posted 5th Jul 2020 at 14:43
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #83
Bloody love it Mike ....I’m so pleased for you ...you deserve it after all the hard work you have done sorting that car out etc 10/10
Thumbs up
Posted 5th Jul 2020 at 16:28
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #84
Thanks Damien, plenty more to come. I’ve got the cae shifter sat waiting to go in but following the race I’m going to hang on till after season or at least till got more time as only got 1 weekend free before next race so priories are to get it back out there.

Will add in a 2nd fan as cars great when moving but the 1 fan worries me Especially once been round the track etc (not Really been a issue I’m just paranoid) as can be a fair amount of time sat idling in the assembly area etc so will have one on ecu control and another one on the switch just to give full flexibility (and peace of mind). Oh and need to get a set of front pads as not sure they’ll last the Whole day so better to be safe than sorry as can check each time I come in
Posted 11th Jul 2020 at 18:55
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #85
Totally makes sense Mike and that gear-shifters going to need a fair bit of setting up I recon Thumbs up .....

Nothing wrong and bloody sensible running a Fan switch Yes

Hopefully I’ll see you at Combe this time Thumbs up
Posted 11th Jul 2020 at 22:39
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #86
I was helping a m8 out yesterday as pitcrew at Combe and sadly didn’t get much of a chance to watch or see Mike race but I was lucky enough to see a 306 of Mike and 206 of Paul Bird race nose to tail for 12laps in one of the 3 races ...wow what a spectacle....
Glad to say Mike came out on top against the very Very experienced Bird ....who use to own his (shell) LOL LOL

Posted 3rd Aug 2020 at 20:08
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #87
Remember this is only Mikes 2nd official race Ever Thumbs up

11th out of a full grid of some crazy quick cars with very experienced drivers and lot of experienced drivers behind Mike ....and Mikes in a different class lower to most of them Thumbs up

I think it’s a fair comment that loads more to come from Mike and his car ....his car has so much more to give Mike and it is totally sorted because of Mikes excellent Spannering / fabrication skills

Just seat time / experience now and he’s going to be up there

Posted 3rd Aug 2020 at 20:09
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #88
Not my photo Whistle

Posted 2nd Aug 2020 at 17:25
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #89
Thanks Damien yes was pleased to get past Paul especially considering the car he’s now in is no slouch either. Plenty more to come though as although qualified better this time was still 2 sec of what I’ve done on a test day which I’m sure will come with more time in the seat and more confidence on the grid. Overall though fantastic day just bloody hot which I’ve already ordered a naca duct for the rear quarter window and a 12v in-line fan for some much needed driver comfort.
Posted 4th Aug 2020 at 20:14
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #90
Roof scoop is a massive help too Thumbs up
Posted 3rd Aug 2020 at 20:07
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #91
Staying away from scoop as not all series allow them so don’t want to jeopardise any future plans etc just incase, I had a look at tonys window scoop in the 106 With a blower and it’s really powerful and added benefit is decent when sat in paddock etc.

Plus got to tape up my bonnet vents as scrutineer decided they look to big - there not as I’ve measured them but will tape up from inside to save changing the bonnet and so it doesn’t look rubbish as will still look visually the same no point arguing especially when only thing the vents do is let hot air out lol
Posted 3rd Aug 2020 at 20:55
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #92
Window vent fitted Just gotta fit inline fan and ducting, should make it but cooler in there

Posted 15th Aug 2020 at 19:45
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #93
Thumbs up
Posted 16th Aug 2020 at 17:49
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #94
Sadly working Monday on the Railway so couldn’t help Shaun and I won’t see you at Combe Mike

Good luck m8 Thumbs up
Posted 29th Aug 2020 at 08:16
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #95
Reasonable days racing. Didn’t do great in qualifying leaving me 29th in both races out of 36 starters with a best of 1.21.87 better than last time out but with the bigger grid left me further back than hoped but really struggled to get a clear lap in.

Racing was better and got settled in to end up getting to p17 In race 1. With the way qualifying works it was back to p29 for race 2 and made up to 15th so again good progress and some very very close battles but definitely need to work on putting in a decent qualifying session next time as makes such a difference.

Had driveshaft boot failures on both races and luckily on the last lap in race 2 as spat all the grease over the left wheel/brakes, so something to look into but all in all another good days racing
Posted 31st Aug 2020 at 20:42
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #96
Have you run pipe from your window duct to anywhere?

Rallye Race Car
Posted 1st Sep 2020 at 08:30
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #97
Yep it’s run up the cage and aimed at my face lol . There’s a 3”fan in there which I can confirm is a lifesaver whilst sat in the line up
Posted 1st Sep 2020 at 09:14
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #98
What pipe did you use? I have a duct installed but never got round to putting pipe in!

Rallye Race Car
Posted 1st Sep 2020 at 09:15
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #99
Just 3” tubing from eBay same as for brake ducting etc,

Do you get any driveshaft cv boot issues on yours in races?
Posted 1st Sep 2020 at 09:26
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #100
Well that’s my racing done for this year as only one meet left which unfortunately I can’t attend due to work etc so decided to take it off the road for a few little upgrades/maintenance.

Gearbox is out and diff has been sent for service and ramp/preload check/adjust. Whilst that’s out I’ve started to fit the new gear lever I’ve had sat around for a few months now

Posted 12th Sep 2020 at 17:03

Pages (6): first .. 3 [4] 5 .. last