displaying posts 1 to 25 of 147

Pages (6): [1] 2 3 .. last

Author Subject: Mike Blands Race Car
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Had the privilege of seeing Blandys ex Satchell -Green and black race car in action for the very first time today and what a total credit to him bringing it back to life ....
So much has been updated and changed with Mikes ideas ...
Sadly I didn’t have time to take pics as it was a quick visit to Combe but good luck to him on his first race season Thumbs up
Posted 14th Feb 2020 at 15:41
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Thanks Love

It’s getting there few weeks needed which will mean the satchshift is going to come out and be sold on as my manifold is just to close.

Finally managed to load a image Big grin

Posted 7th Mar 2020 at 19:55
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Love it Thumbs up
Posted 8th Mar 2020 at 02:34
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Though seeing as can’t do anything at min I’d add a little but about the car. Having had my black 306 for the last couple of years as a track car I decided I really wanted to have a go at racing. The black car was fairly sorted as it was with just a few bits needed to be a race car.

The cage I was a simple omp bolt in which is good enough for racing but I really wanted to put a more substantial cage in for racing so began looking for a cage and came across Alan Dixon’s old race shell which was in a sorry state, having lived outside for a good few years and with all its special parts living in other cars all that remained was the shell with the all important weld in cage.

The body work I was confident would polish up and look respectable but from a couple of meetings with Combes Avon rise/quarry the rear quarter was heavily dented and sporting more filler than metal.

Posted 28th Mar 2020 at 15:03
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Posted 28th Mar 2020 at 15:03
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Luckily the shell came with a rear quarter to use

So cut out the old damage and weld/smooth in replacement

Posted 28th Mar 2020 at 15:07
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Engine and drivetrain in from the black shell

Posted 28th Mar 2020 at 15:08
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
all running gear and pretty much all components etc have been removed from the black track car and re-homed into the green one.
Got my license done and race ppe brought ready for the season. Have signed up to castle combe hot hatch this year as it’s Probably the cheapest series out there to get into racing and have watched it the last few years and always has a decent grid size so always something similarly matched with the car aiming to be some where around mid grid.

Did a trackday on the 16th March just prior to the country lockdown and got out on the grid with a few competitors so hoping to get to race later on in the year if tracks reopen.

Posted 28th Mar 2020 at 15:16
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Was great to see you and the car Mike ..it’s a real credit to you Thumbs up

Hopefully once the world stops falling apart we can meet again m8
Keep the updates coming Thumbs up
Posted 28th Mar 2020 at 17:54
Wilde Haren

Post #10
That looks like one serious track car!
Posted 30th Mar 2020 at 08:51
Joep

Regular

Post #11
Similar damage as on my track day car. But I will have the dents removed instead of new rear quarter welded in... thought welding another rear quarter in would be easiest, but the mechanic from the body shop told me differently.

Do you still have the center exhaust on the new car?

My car park:
'96 Sigma Blue XSi6
'98 Diablo Red GTi6
'99 Onyx Black S16

All RFS powered!

Plus various other Peugeots
Posted 29th Mar 2020 at 17:33
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Thanks

Yes exhaust is still strait down Center, I run effectively a half size tank over the left hand side of the car so diagonal to driver, holds 23lotres which is enough as 20min race in the series I’m doing and 15min race up for my other choice of championship I might look into next year.

The rear quarter was mostly filler in the first pics so would never of pulled out, I hoped it would bpwhen I brought it but once started digging found it was not going to be possible, was not a fun job by any means but was worth it
Posted 29th Mar 2020 at 18:26
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Totally agree bloody worth it Mike ...now a fantastic sorted well balanced car Thumbs up
Posted 29th Mar 2020 at 19:40
Joep

Regular

Post #14
Would really love to see the UK track cars in action!

This whole forum is inspiration for my track car!

My car park:
'96 Sigma Blue XSi6
'98 Diablo Red GTi6
'99 Onyx Black S16

All RFS powered!

Plus various other Peugeots
Posted 29th Mar 2020 at 20:03
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #15

Thanks

Well next week was supposed to be my first ever race but with lockdown it’s not to be. Cars pretty much ready to go.

Couple of things that have changed is dash layout is finished. I decided to have a switch panel that I’ve fabricated strait off the cage, which allows me to remove the dash in seconds which is important as I’ve built the fuse panel under the dash so it’s tidy and out of harms way

The other thing is the satchshift has had to go due to on going clearance issues with my manifold, was a shame as great bit of kit but has caused me nothing but grief and missed shifts so had to go. I went back to standard but before even driving it though could do a little better than 100% stock. I had a quick shift turret Lyon around but never bothered to fit as tbh the quality is pretty poor with the locking collars being far to large for the original shaft.. with this in mind I made up a new gear shaft in the correct diameter to match the collars and just for good measure welded the collars as well so no chance of any movement. Not as slick as a satchshift but still nice and positive

Posted 5th Apr 2020 at 18:11
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
Looks fantastic Mike ....you have to do whatever to get the gearbox working well Thumbs up

Keep the updates coming m8
Posted 5th Apr 2020 at 21:52
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
Yeah rather have something that works 100%. Just hope we get to go racing this year
Posted 12th Apr 2020 at 18:28
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
few minor updates

Adjusted some of the settings on my dash 2 pro a few weeks back, turned the fuel gauge off as I don’t run one anymore and added in some more lap data. Also readjusted the shift light settings as had them coming in at 400rom increments and being very bright was a bit distracting so changed to start to come on at 7k now up to limit.

Posted 25th Apr 2020 at 20:15
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
Wasn’t going to do this but with the fibreglass bonnet being black and boot being bare carbon fibre wasn’t overly happy with the look so took the plunge and sanded down the carbon boot and primed ready to paint

Might do the bonnet next but not sure..
Posted 25th Apr 2020 at 20:14
Vlad

Post #20
blandy wrote:
Thanks Love

It’s getting there few weeks needed which will mean the satchshift is going to come out and be sold on as my manifold is just to close.

Finally managed to load a image Big grin

Is the satchshift for sale then? Smile
Posted 26th Apr 2020 at 01:36
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
Already sold I’m afraid
Posted 26th Apr 2020 at 09:43
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
I've got the fuel gauge working with my Dash4 Pro if you need any help?

I also had the issue with Satchshift and Maniflow 4-2-1 but chose to bin off the manifold. I redynoed it straight away after with no other changes and think I lost 0.5hp at peak but gain a fair bit at mid range.

Car looks good! What brakes are you running?

Rallye Race Car
Posted 26th Apr 2020 at 16:46
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
Thanks I actually had the gauge running in my last tank By recoding the voltage every 2ltrs, the new tank doesn’t actually have a sender and being 23ltrs it’s just the right size so didn’t want to add one in, so got fed up seeing 0 fuel on the screen lol.

I would of loved to keep the satchshift but car was already mapped + it would of just meant more cash/time, although at that point was pushing on to get car ready for April’s first race + oddly in mine it added 6hp on the dyno compared to what it had in the 205 (newman ph2 cams and bodies at that point), couldn’t comment on mid range etc though as that was a couple years ago.

Brakes are 6pots that pug1off sell can’t fault them tbh, like you I wanted aps but couldn’t justify the extra cash but really impressed with these and keeps under 15’s so cheaper tyres and less weight.
Posted 26th Apr 2020 at 19:35
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
15s is my push as well. Since I've already got the Brembos I can't really be bothered to go to anything other than APs.

Would be good to get our cars out together one day!

Rallye Race Car
Posted 27th Apr 2020 at 07:24
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
Yeah definately, I never realised till the other day that trackday trophy was power to weight with driver etc so may be scope there some day.. not sure how I feel about a 45min race though lol one step at a time I guess.. I’d need a bigger tank that’s for sure.

What are the entry fees like out of interest
Posted 27th Apr 2020 at 18:53

Pages (6): [1] 2 3 .. last