displaying posts 1 to 4 of 4

Author Subject: 306 V6 (ES9J4S)
83kY

Post #1
I will keep this first post on this thread more as kind of an introduction.

So I am a 36yr old guy from southern Finland. I've been working on cars since I was 15 and mostly Peugeots. Some Pugs I've owned in the past include a 205 GTI 1.9, 206 RC (GTI180), 405 T16, 405 Mi16x4, 505 GTI and many more.

At the moment I own my beloved Bleu Sigma ph1 306 S16 (1994) which I've owned since 2003, then I have a 1990 605 SV24 - you know the one with the rare 3.0 24v PRV V6 with a manual gearbox and I also own two 405 Mi16s (D6C engines on both) from 1989. Also a 205 XL with GTi axles and seats and also an upcoming XU10J4RS (not yet under the hood though).

And of course this Rouge Lucifer (Diablo Red as Brits like to call it) ph1 GTI-6 shell. Bought it from a friend a few months back - he had it storaged inside for 10 years after it snapped the cambelt. He had plans with the car but never got around doing them. Also he was moving from a carage to another and wanted to lighten his car collection during the move so I obtained everything 306 related from him (and more).

But the car did not have an engine. While I was helping him with the moving we started talking about the ES9J4S engines he had, actually 3 or 4 of them loose on pallets. One of them had a manual gearbox. Actually it was around 15 seconds from when we started talking about it to the point when ownership of the said engine changed to me. Lifted the engine to my trailer and took it home along with some other parts.

More about in the next post.
Posted 10th Jan 2020 at 23:02
83kY

Post #2
There were some goodies included with the car: a full leather ph1 interior, heavy duty rear beam with 25mm torsion bars, a 30mm arb and an option to adjust camber (this very axle has been used in some track series in Germany in the past), wishbones with new poly bushes, xsara vts quick-steering rack

The leather interior will go to my S16 because it has a GTI-6 interior at the moment so they will be swapped over. The special rear beam is not on the car. There is a GTI-6 axle on there now and I also got several normal GTI-6 axles and one from a VTS alongside the car. The VTS rack will go on this V6 project so I can turn normally (and quickly!).

I pretty much know the drill about fitting a ES9 to a 306 (I think I have read all the threads here): cope with the timing belt side upper engine mount and shorten the driveshafts. I will be using 306 outer joints with 406 inner ones and either I will have the shaft between them cut and welded together at right lenght or I will have a new shaft made in right lenght with 306 splines on the other and 406 splines at the other end.

As I have several 406 shells available I will be removing the engine mount support bracket from the suspension tower and fit it to the 306 along what is needed to cut and modify on the chassis legs. 406 V6 radiator will be used and the engine will be controlled by a yet unknown aftermarket ecu. I will delete the front cats and I will only use one pair of (wideband) lambdas.

Gearshift linkage will be done with fully 406 parts fitted to 306, clutch hydraulics will be a compilation of Xsara HDI master cylinder along with the 406 normal parts. Accelerator pedal will use the system from a 406 (which is used in 306 HDI also) where a cable runs from the pedal to the engine bay where a sensor reads the position and then gives this information to the ecu - as the ES9J4S is drive-by-wire. I have these parts ready - just hoping an aftermarket ecu understands this signal, if not then I will have to come up with something.

A/C will be removed from the engine as the GTI-6 shell is a rare one and doesn't have one.

The plan is to free up all the potential which has been tied up by the emission gadgets by running it on standalone management and because I don't wish to jam multiplex bsi unit etc 406 wiring harnesses inside the dash just to get the engine running. I know a few fellas who wire in and install aftermarket ecus they sell - I will ship the car to them so they can tackle the hard part to get it running.

This is something that has never been done here in Finland before (at least road legal) because the regulations were so tight. Before you could fit an engine with displacement of 1.25x over the biggest one used in the model series (2.0->2.5 in 306 case) and have the power of 1.2x compared to the most powerful model. Now they are removing the displacement restriction and they are bringing back the power/weight ratio they had before.

The project is on the starting line, I have the shell, I have the engine, I have lots of parts. I could and will start doing something with this soon and that is one of the reasons I started this thread - to keep me motivated as I am quite busy (I do run a repair shop of my own as my work) but still I want to get this done.
Posted 8th Jan 2020 at 18:29
MathieuW

Post #3
How's the project running?
Posted 23rd Dec 2020 at 10:51
83kY

Post #4
A little bit of life happened but the project is still rolling, I like to take my time with these. Mostly prep work has been done (sourcing parts + information), also as the regulation changes were pushed forward but they should still be happening but not yet, so I couldnt get the car on the road in any case.
Posted 15th May 2021 at 20:38