displaying posts 1 to 3 of 3

Author Subject: Reliable Garage in the North West
rudolf

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
I've only used two garages in the last thirty odd years, only stopping using them after two or three mistakes.

The first had been used by my family for over forty years but fitted my cylinder head and made it a tapper and asked them to look at my other 306 after buying and did not spot that the cambelt idler had been fitted wrongly so it rubbed and eventually snapped. I said not to do any work on the car if cambelt failure but thay stripped it down so could not claim against the garage that fitted it and got them to fit a new engine as it snapped on the motorway and damaged bearings. I then took my car in for a binding rear brake. They had it three times but could not fix.

I then started using another one about 10 years ago after recommendations. I got on well with him and he sometimes let me use his ramp if too busy to do the job for me. A couple of years ago my clutch went so got recovered to him. He changed the clutch, bushes, and clutch cable. The self adjustment went on the way to work within a month or so. I just managed to drive there and phoned him up. He explained how to insert a spacer to get me going. I got a thin tube, cut to the right length, and cut a narrow slit to slide on the cable with two washers. This go me going until taking in to him but instead of replacing the cable, just fitted a load of penny/mudguard washers and I've had to keep adding them, now needing removal of the air scoop as they get in the way.

My starter motor failed a few weeks ago so got the car to him. He replaced the starter but said he had to remove the inlet manifold to do which many peaple on here have said is not necessary. Half way through the job, thay said that number one injector had been weeping slightly. I asked if they needed a new fuel rail as it was quite rusty and I had one spare. They said they would let me know if needed. On the Thursday they said it was finished so collected after hours as he left the key on a hidden tyre. It ran fine the day after, a Friday. On the Saturday I called in to pay but he was too busy so left. I drove to Asda to fill up as was going on a long journey the next day. I smelled petrol but thought was the petrol station. On the way home, I slowed down and smelled it again so called in to a mate's on the way, shut off the engine, and opened the bonnet. The fuel primed and fuel squirted out of the top of injector one. I found the injector clip fitted incorrectly so refitted and drove home as it now looked okay. The next day, Sunday, it was leaking again so took off the fuel rail and found the seal was at an angle in the rail cup so fitted to the injector and rebuilt. I drove to work in Manchester and borrowed a work van. The fuel rail was not leaking. I drove to work in the works van on Monday then started the car at lunchtime. It was leaking badly again. I found gash in the seal which I did not see before so got a pair from Peugeot and fitted a new top one. A colleague came out and spotted the end of the rail slightly bent and an indentation in the cup, looking like the rail had been bolted down onto a misaligned injector. The next day, I fitted a my spare rail but had no fuel pressure regulator and broke while removing the old one. The next morning, I called in and spoke to the mechanic who did the work. I explained what had happened and he ordered a new regulator. I picked this up last Friday morning and borrowed the pipe clip tool. In the neantime, I had bought a new rail with regulator from ebay but did not know if it would arrive in time. It did, so decided to fit this good condition one instead. This went well and I drove home on Friday night. On Saurday lunch time, I started it up and injectors two to four were now slightly weeping from the tops even though I had used vaseline and was very careful so ordered a further two seals from peugeot so all four would be new. I called in at the garage and this time spoke to the owner, showing him the bent and damaged rail. He said he could not see anything wrong with it and said as I had touched the car he would not do anything and to leave, taking my car with me, not to pay for the wok, and not to come back. Was that so I had no comeback over the work legally? I explained that I needed the car over the weekend and had no contact details for him after hours so needed to try to get working and that I had told the mechanic of the problem as soon as possible. I said I did not want to fall out with him and could we put a line under it and carry on as before. He said i had not told him of the problem right away so no, and to leave which I did.

Anyone know of a good garage in my area to do clutch cables, cambelt kits, etc in and around Wigan or Manchester?

S Reg Diablo standardsSpec SORNED
R Reg Nile standard spec written off then repaired
X Reg Astor in need of TLC
R Reg Nile to restore
Set of Lions to fit.
Posted 3rd Nov 2019 at 12:02
jord294

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
I'd be happy to help but a bit far away for you

FRESHLY RE-FURBISHED GTI BEAMS
FITTING AND LOWERING AVAILABLE.
ALL AXLES BUILT USING GENUINE PEUGEOT PARTS

IF I'M NOT HERE, IT ONLY MEANS ONE THING.... I'M SOMEWHERE ELSE!
Posted 3rd Nov 2019 at 17:24
rudolf

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
jord294 wrote:
I'd be happy to help but a bit far away for you

Do you have a ramp and do cambelts, etc?

S Reg Diablo standardsSpec SORNED
R Reg Nile standard spec written off then repaired
X Reg Astor in need of TLC
R Reg Nile to restore
Set of Lions to fit.
Posted 3rd Nov 2019 at 23:26