displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: Power Sterering Ram/ Steering damper
pugfrank

Junior User

Post #1
Hi all,

My power steering ram/ damper has a leak would like to get it sorted as making a right mess over the driveway now.

What do ppl do? can you repair and recondition them? I cant seem to find a NOS one for sale anywhere, don't really want to fit a second hand unit as they are always unknown condition.

Is their a modern replacement I can fit? Really didn't think that the part was gonna be hard to find!

I have read ppl upgrade to a vtr steering rack sometimes do you use the gti6 steering damper or the vtr one, so maybe their is a parts overlap some where?

Cheers for your help guys.
Posted 31st Oct 2019 at 10:42
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #2
I’m pretty sure they can’t be reconditioned (Although someone May well be along to correct me) The only real option I know of is a good used item. If changing to a VTS rack you need the ‘6 Ram as it prevents the wheel hitting the gearbox when turning right.

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 31st Oct 2019 at 10:49
pugfrank

Junior User

Post #3
Sad Sad Sad No No No Sad Sad Sad
Posted 31st Oct 2019 at 11:18
alcon

Senior User

Post #4
https://gloveboxdirect.com/401153/p0/

Glovebox list one but like has been discussed in other threads, these guys have a habit of listing all part numbers without actually having the parts in stock. Best to check with them first before ordering.

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 31st Oct 2019 at 12:19
pugfrank

Junior User

Post #5
Thanks I will drop them an email.
Posted 31st Oct 2019 at 14:47
pugfrank

Junior User

Post #6
Glove box direct cant help me.

From doing some reading on the forum a lot of various parts specific to the Gti6 seem to be coming harder and harder to find or discontinued, its not giving me much faith that ill be ale to keep the car going for the long term! I'm not in a position to begin hoarding parts!
Posted 4th Nov 2019 at 13:31
rudolf

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
pugfrank wrote:
Glove box direct cant help me.

From doing some reading on the forum a lot of various parts specific to the Gti6 seem to be coming harder and harder to find or discontinued, its not giving me much faith that ill be ale to keep the car going for the long term! I'm not in a position to begin hoarding parts!

I've had to rent a council garage to hoard unique parts such as steering rack, fuel rail, etc and also Nile blue body parts.

S Reg Diablo standardsSpec SORNED
R Reg Nile standard spec written off then repaired
X Reg Astor in need of TLC
R Reg Nile to restore
Set of Lions to fit.
Posted 4th Nov 2019 at 21:04
pugfrank

Junior User

Post #8
So I have purchased a second hand ram from a breakers. Please can anyone tell me how I ensure it is actually the correct gti6 ram? not just a standard 306 one!

I'm yet to unbolt and inspect the unit hoping to do this tomorrow. But don't know how I confirm 100% that its the correct part?

Can I expect to find a part number stamped on the ram? (OEM401153)

Thanks for your help guys.

James

Posted 12th Jul 2020 at 19:34
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #9
a gti6 ram has less travel in extension than a 5 speed ram, for a decent engineer I'm sure they could be rebuilt, its just a hydraulic cylinder after all!

alternatively you could easily make a stop for the rack itself, a piece of thick wall tube slipped over the right side of the rack would limit the travel, turn it to full lock with the 6 speed ram fitted and measure from the body of the rack to the track rod and that's how long the spacer needs to be.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 12th Jul 2020 at 20:27
pugfrank

Junior User

Post #10
welshpug! wrote:
a gti6 ram has less travel in extension than a 5 speed ram, for a decent engineer I'm sure they could be rebuilt, its just a hydraulic cylinder after all!

alternatively you could easily make a stop for the rack itself, a piece of thick wall tube slipped over the right side of the rack would limit the travel, turn it to full lock with the 6 speed ram fitted and measure from the body of the rack to the track rod and that's how long the spacer needs to be.

Thanks welsh pug a good idea. Something worth considering if this spare doesn’t work out. Not 100% understanding but maybe it will become clear when I put my head under the car.

Working out if this spare is a gti6 ram is it just a question of measuring the full extension and comparing it with the one fitted to my car? What’s the length difference? 50mm,60mm, 70mm etc.

Thanks
James
Posted 13th Jul 2020 at 15:45
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #11
I think its about 10mm if that.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 13th Jul 2020 at 15:59