displaying posts 1 to 22 of 22

Author Subject: Removing front struts
AlMortz

Junior User

Post #1
Hello,

Having issues removing the front struts from the hub.

Does the pinch bolt come out entirely? I think that's where I'm having issues, it seems that the hub hasn't loosened enough for me to get the strut out. Been using a massive hammer for hours and it hasn't moved even a tiny bit.

I have a feeling I'll need to replace the pinch bolt anyway due to all the hammering ive done. Any tips to getting that pinch bolt all the way out?

Cheers

Al

Posted 19th Oct 2019 at 15:50
Joep

Regular

Post #2
The pinchbolt does not have to come out completely afaik.

Did you put some wedge in the opening of the hub? It is at the back where the front strut sits in the hub. Then all should come off easily.

My car park:
'96 Sigma Blue XSi6
'98 Diablo Red GTi6
'99 Onyx Black S16

All RFS powered!

Plus various other Peugeots
Posted 19th Oct 2019 at 16:44
AlMortz

Junior User

Post #3
I've tried to wedge it apart, but it just won't budge. Could it be seized too much? What do you use as a wedge?
Posted 19th Oct 2019 at 17:00
pug_306

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Hi buddy. With the 16mm undone. Use a drain plug square drive, tap it in and turn it 45degrees. The strut will easily come out then :-)

1998 Supercharged White Rallye
1992 205 GTi6
205 Turbo 340bhp
Posted 19th Oct 2019 at 20:12
AlMortz

Junior User

Post #5
pug_306 wrote:
Hi buddy. With the 16mm undone. Use a drain plug square drive, tap it in and turn it 45degrees. The strut will easily come out then :-)

Hi mate! Great shout, it's coming out albeit very slowly. Dreading the fact that I have to do this one both sides!
Posted 20th Oct 2019 at 11:49
AlMortz

Junior User

Post #6
Just going from bad to worse here. On the other side and the droplink won't come off. The spot for the Allen key has completely rounded off and won't stay still. Can't get access to the other side to grab onto the actual droplink either.
Posted 20th Oct 2019 at 13:21
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #7
On the other end of the threaded bit is a ball that fits in to the plastic drop link.
Pry the drop link off to leave the threaded bit/ball in the strut. Grip the ball with mole grips and undo the nut on the threaded part.

1343Z4 coolant hose o-rings for sale
198131 injector o-rings for sale
Posted 20th Oct 2019 at 16:52
pug_306

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Just tap a ball joint splitter in there to break it apart, worth replacing as there only cheap.

1998 Supercharged White Rallye
1992 205 GTi6
205 Turbo 340bhp
Posted 20th Oct 2019 at 17:11
cully

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
disc cutter removes droplinks not worth p**sing about with them as they are cheap
knock an allen key into the hub split and turn it to open up the clamp
Posted 21st Oct 2019 at 16:47
AlMortz

Junior User

Post #10
Nice one guys, got both droplinks off (replacements will be needed!) and the track rod ends out of the hub. Now just the long slog of getting the strut out of the hub.

All this hammering isn't going to be causing any damage anywhere is it? I'm assuming bearings and stuff take that these abuse levels anyway?

Cheers for all your help so far!
Posted 23rd Oct 2019 at 17:27
Joep

Regular

Post #11
Should be fine. If you want to keep using the parts, make sure you do not damage them. Hamer on the wishbone with a piece of wood in between.

My car park:
'96 Sigma Blue XSi6
'98 Diablo Red GTi6
'99 Onyx Black S16

All RFS powered!

Posted 23rd Oct 2019 at 18:34
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #12
no need for hammering, get the pinch bolt out, or cut it in the gap, and pop an 8mm square tool and turn it 45 deg, should slide straight off

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 24th Oct 2019 at 09:36
Joep

Regular

Post #13
I was surprised how much force still was needed to get the strut out on my phase 1. But yes, it should go easy in 99% of the cases Smile

My car park:
'96 Sigma Blue XSi6
'98 Diablo Red GTi6
'99 Onyx Black S16

All RFS powered!

Posted 24th Oct 2019 at 10:22
AlMortz

Junior User

Post #14
This is madness. Its not coming off. Using heat, pb blaster, 8mm square tool that just won't turn, it's seriously stuck on there. I may hbae to just get the one side done and get it into a garage to see what they can do.
Posted 29th Oct 2019 at 18:32
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #15
Are you replacing the struts? Maybe get a used hub for £20ish and abandon the stuck strut/hub?

1343Z4 coolant hose o-rings for sale
198131 injector o-rings for sale
Posted 29th Oct 2019 at 20:24
AlMortz

Junior User

Post #16
S8-Tom wrote:
Are you replacing the struts? Maybe get a used hub for £20ish and abandon the stuck strut/hub?

The struts seem to be in quite good nick, be a shame to have to swap em out. Maybe my next tactic is to take the whole thing off and just go nuclear on the hub and replace that?
Posted 29th Oct 2019 at 20:45
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
How about removing the whole lot and slicing through the pinch bolt with an angle grinder incase that's keeping it clamped and the bolt is rusted in place which isnt allowing the hub to separate.

The step to take before that would probably be to put the nut over the end few threads and give it a good few whacks with a big hammer to try and get the pinch bolt out before resorting to cutting it.

You may not need to remove the whole lot if you slice it as it is, i can't remember how good the access is.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 29th Oct 2019 at 21:05
AlMortz

Junior User

Post #18
prism7guy wrote:
How about removing the whole lot and slicing through the pinch bolt with an angle grinder incase that's keeping it clamped and the bolt is rusted in place which isnt allowing the hub to separate.

The step to take before that would probably be to put the nut over the end few threads and give it a good few whacks with a big hammer to try and get the pinch bolt out before resorting to cutting it.

You may not need to remove the whole lot if you slice it as it is, i can't remember how good the access is.

I've been thinking about slicing the bolt, but then if it is rusted in place, how would I go about getting the bolt out to replace it? That would put me in a worse spot than now?
Posted 29th Oct 2019 at 21:14
Joep

Regular

Post #19
Using heat-cold cycles to break the rust? Would that not work?

My car park:
'96 Sigma Blue XSi6
'98 Diablo Red GTi6
'99 Onyx Black S16

All RFS powered!

Posted 30th Oct 2019 at 05:38
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #20
pr3ss or drill the remaining pieces out

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 30th Oct 2019 at 14:59
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
If you struggle to get them out with it sliced i'd wind the nut on and that should then free off the threaded end of the bolt. Then if the shank end is stuck you have the option to try pressing out, if you dont have a press you could try heating it, soaking in penetrating oil then whacking it out with a punch, if that fails then you could try drilling it.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 30th Oct 2019 at 16:35
AlMortz

Junior User

Post #22
prism7guy wrote:
If you struggle to get them out with it sliced i'd wind the nut on and that should then free off the threaded end of the bolt. Then if the shank end is stuck you have the option to try pressing out, if you dont have a press you could try heating it, soaking in penetrating oil then whacking it out with a punch, if that fails then you could try drilling it.

Thanks for all your help guys, I've decided to take the other side into a garage. I don't feel like id be able to fix it if me slicing through the pinch bolt didn't quite work out.

I've replaced droplinks and track rod ends on both sides, and the spring and top mount on the drivers side. Not bad for someone that's ultimately pretty p**s poor at cars.
Posted 10th Nov 2019 at 10:44