displaying posts 1 to 12 of 12

Author Subject: Commercial contents insurance
alcon

Senior User

Post #1
Does anyone on here rent a commercial garage/workshop and if so, are your contents insured?

I currently rent a workshop where I store and work on my Rallye and all my tools. Nothing is insured and I want to change that. I'm struggling to find suitable insurance cover as they're all geared up to business insurance. I am not a business and I don't trade from the unit, I'm purely a private tenant who uses it for storage and personal use. I want to insure the contents only as the building itself will be insured by the landlord.

Any advice?

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 7th Oct 2019 at 18:01
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #2
Speak to your house insurance people??

Cherry Red Rallye .... On going OEM spec resto

China Blue GTi6 .... Weekend toy

Black 208 GTi .... Wife's car now

Silver BMW 550i.... The executive missile

Posted 7th Oct 2019 at 19:16
alcon

Senior User

Post #3
they'll only cover you if your garage is within the boundary of your house. Seems to be all the insurance companies want to treat it like a business (which it's not) and home type insurance doesn't cover it either as it's not part of your home.

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 7th Oct 2019 at 19:38
rudolf

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I've had this problem for years too. Would have to be registered as a storage company to get insurance.

S Reg Diablo standardsSpec SORNED
R Reg Nile standard spec written off then repaired
X Reg Astor in need of TLC
R Reg Nile to restore
Set of Lions to fit.
Posted 7th Oct 2019 at 19:40
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #5
What about asking the landlord of the place you rent if he can put it on his insurance and you pay him?

Cherry Red Rallye .... On going OEM spec resto

China Blue GTi6 .... Weekend toy

Black 208 GTi .... Wife's car now

Silver BMW 550i.... The executive missile

Posted 7th Oct 2019 at 22:39
rudolf

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
I've tried that and everything else.

S Reg Diablo standardsSpec SORNED
R Reg Nile standard spec written off then repaired
X Reg Astor in need of TLC
R Reg Nile to restore
Set of Lions to fit.
Posted 8th Oct 2019 at 07:40
alcon

Senior User

Post #7
I filled in an online quote thingy last night and am waiting on two companies calling me back with their quotes, so I'll see what they say and report back.

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 8th Oct 2019 at 08:08
alcon

Senior User

Post #8
One company has come back so far saying they can't provide insurance as I'm not a company who is trading. Might look into forming another company as a sole trader and see if that helps. Funny how no one wants to take my money!!

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 8th Oct 2019 at 12:33
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Glad i read this as i'm thinking of renting a small unit to store and work on some of my cars. Keep us posted on any success Thumbs up

Goldie the track car.
Posted 9th Oct 2019 at 16:25
alcon

Senior User

Post #10
So the other company phoned me back yesterday about this....no luck again! Basically they said they couldn't insure me unless I ran a business from the unit. They even asked around other companies to see if they could pass my business their way but no one was interested. I floated the idea of forming a company just for the sake of getting insurance but before I even finished my sentence I realised how that probably sounded.....a scam! He was understanding with my idea but said most commercial insurers would ask for some proof that the company was actually trading and had customers.

I've still to speak to my house insurance people to see if they can cover it as there is bolt on option of insuring stuff anywhere in the world but I suspect that's meant for personal items when you go on holiday.

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 10th Oct 2019 at 14:02
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Hmm, this has made me reconsider renting somewhere then. I guess if you were to create a business and pretend to run it from there then you may be liable for business rates on the place too?

Think i might revert back to just trying to get a big garage built in my back garden.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 10th Oct 2019 at 16:28
alcon

Senior User

Post #12
prism7guy wrote:
Hmm, this has made me reconsider renting somewhere then. I guess if you were to create a business and pretend to run it from there then you may be liable for business rates on the place too?

Think i might revert back to just trying to get a big garage built in my back garden.

It's worth checking with your local council first regarding business rates as I get a 100% rebate, effectively meaning I don't pay any rates. The cut off point is a maximum rateable value of £15,000 which my unit is well under. The downside of creating a business for the sole purpose of getting insurance is you'd need to file a tax return every year even though your 'books' would show zero outgoings and zero profit.

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 10th Oct 2019 at 19:03