displaying posts 1 to 4 of 4

Author Subject: Timing belt change-easy?
goldfish

Junior User

Post #1
I sold my 6 a few months ago, what a bloody stupid thing to do!!! (I can't believe how much I miss that car)
I've found another I'm thinking of buying, the timing belt will need doing on it and instead of paying money I don't have, I was thinking of doing it myself. Is it difficult on these? I've read the thread in the faq section and it seems pretty straightforward.
If I have to pay someone to do it I probably won't buy it as money is tight at the moment.
Posted 26th Sep 2019 at 14:55
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #2
I've recently done mine for the first time on one of these engines. It's not difficult although I'd recommend:

Check the crank pulley hasn't slipped.
Use something 100% the right diameter to pin everything.
Get the right tool to hold the cam pulleys still whilst you loosen the bolts.

If you've read the guide(s) and feel confident then get stuck in.

1343Z4 coolant hose o-rings for sale
198131 injector o-rings for sale
Posted 26th Sep 2019 at 15:05
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
I find it more of a fiddly job than a difficult one. Hardest part is squeezing your hands/arms between the engine and inner wing. Dead easy if the engine is out of the car and you're half mechanically capable.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 26th Sep 2019 at 21:35
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #4
hardest bit is to hold the tension into position check that there's a 45 Degree Twist and tighten the 10mm bolt with p**s all room (think i had to call on for help tightening the 10mm nut)

I have a spare engine out,..
im literally about to move house but if I can find time over the next week I'll shoot a video on how to change a belt while out of the car,..
as said dead easy while out but trying to do it and film one in the the car would be nearly impossible!
and atleast while its out you can see what needs to be done! Thumbs up

Proud Member of the ASTOR Owners Club
Posted 27th Sep 2019 at 09:41