displaying posts 1 to 9 of 9

Author Subject: Clutch Cable Woes
jwainwright

Post #1
Hello everyone

1999 Rallye

My clutch pedal started to feel weird with loads of play at the top of the travel annoying but thought nothing of it, kept driving it and then twice in two days moving up to roundabouts the cable has slipped off the pedal

I followed the advice of someone smarter than myself and disconnected both ends, reconnected the pedal end and then connected the gear box end, stamped on the pedal and it felt better, the biting point was way higher but the play had all but gone, stamped on the pedal over and over hard soft fast slow you name it and the cable stayed on so thought I'd be alright but no it slipped off this morning and left me in the middle of a double roundabout with no clutch Sad

The cable in question is apparently a DURA one but it seems to have lasted less than 2000 miles which doesn't seem right, I have removed the clutch helper spring thing as people have said it improves the clutch feel and I felt the same but think that might have something to do with the cable coming off?

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Peugeot_306_2.0_1999/p/car-parts/car-body-parts-and-car-exhaust/cables/clutch-cables/?646735411&1&b3585453937bac7c94eb4a9bbf3a1d62c720126b&000063

Has anyone else been in a similar situation, I can't just keep sticking the cable back on and I really don't like the idea of having to install a new one :/

Thanks in Advance!!

Posted 3rd Jul 2019 at 09:27
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #2
I recently fitted the Dura cable from ECP to my Rallye and it's been perfect. I did squeeze some light oil in to it before I fitted in an effort to keep it smoother for longer.

1343Z4 coolant hose o-rings for sale
198131 injector o-rings for sale
Posted 3rd Jul 2019 at 09:40
jwainwright

Post #3
S8-Tom wrote:
I recently fitted the Dura cable from ECP to my Rallye and it's been perfect. I did squeeze some light oil in to it before I fitted in an effort to keep it smoother for longer.

I didn't grease mine but I don't that should make it fail within 2000miles

How many miles ago did you fit your because mine was mint

I'll have to have a look round the hole cable see if anything looks funky because the consensus seems to be that DURA are the go to
Posted 3rd Jul 2019 at 09:46
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #4
Probably less than 1K miles.

I don't think they actually need lubricating but it hasn't done any harm so far.

1343Z4 coolant hose o-rings for sale
198131 injector o-rings for sale
Posted 3rd Jul 2019 at 09:48
jwainwright

Post #5
S8-Tom wrote:
Probably less than 1K miles.

I don't think they actually need lubricating but it hasn't done any harm so far.

Hopefully yours will stay mint for longer than mine has!
Posted 3rd Jul 2019 at 09:57
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #6
I always planned to add extra loob and wrap in heatproof tape,..
But misplaced the tape fitted the cable then found the tape Doh
Always the case! LOL

Proud Member of the ASTOR Owners Club
Posted 3rd Jul 2019 at 11:14
jwainwright

Post #7
gnrlee wrote:
I always planned to add extra loob and wrap in heatproof tape,..
But misplaced the tape fitted the cable then found the tape Doh
Always the case! LOL

I should've done similar really

I had a look at it whilst on lunch and I tied a piece of string round the clip and pulled it back over the pedal, left the string on and tied it round the pedal to hopefully hold it together temporarily

It seems to me like the pedal is pressed to the floor it's pulling the clip into the car and then when the pedal is released the clip stays where it is and the pedal comes back up leaving the clip floating about in no mans land

Don't know if it's a sticky cable or if the adjuster has gone as the biting point is a lot lot higher than it was

It's coming of the rod shortly anyways so hopefully when i get home I can do a proper lasting bodge and at least get too and from work until I MOT my other car

But this time I'll lube and heat tape the lot
Posted 3rd Jul 2019 at 12:52
craig903

Regular

Post #8
I've recently brought 2 cables from euros the same as above and both cables have been s**t. The last one done the same and jumped off. It was like the inner cable was not long enough on both cables. Pedal was awfully high.

208 GTI Owner
Turbo'd '6 project - work in progress
Posted 24th Jul 2019 at 20:41
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #9
It sounds like something isn't being put together right
I changed mine about 2yr ago no problems what so ever,.
And it's my daily so gets plenty of use Hmm

Proud Member of the ASTOR Owners Club
Posted 25th Jul 2019 at 07:35