displaying posts 1 to 13 of 13

Author Subject: Replacement front lower arms?
ale624

Regular

Post #1
Hey guys,

thoroughly confused by all the conflicting information available about getting some arm replacements.

my balljoints and P bushes are shot, so i figured it would just be less hassle to just get new arms. However, I have encountered the mess of multiple part numbers and multiple ballpoint sizes... Unsure

Service box seems to suggest I need 3520H4 and 3521E4. from which i have deduced, I (think) need 18mm balljoints. therefore needing 18mm compatible arms?!

straight from Pug these are £160 each, with no balljoints. which, seems a bit much.

I have found, these from MOOG.
Marked as 3520H4 - https://www.autodoc.co.uk/moog/7435281

Marked as 3521E4 - https://www.autodoc.co.uk/moog/7435282 -Edit, went on MOOGs website and discovered this, the previous link was for a Citroen Van apparently... Dunno

They are marked as 18mm 'cone size' and are both around £45

dont think these come with balljoints, but i am totally fine with getting some £35 OEM ones from pug

Are these correct for my Rallye??
Can anyone enlighten me on why there are so many fecking 'compatible' arms with slightly different specs?!

Cheers guys,
Alex Big grin
Posted 14th Feb 2019 at 01:10
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #2
If it was me, I’d be buying genuine arms if you can get your hands on them, the aftrmarket types appear to be prone to failure. Do a search, it’s not pretty.

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 14th Feb 2019 at 04:42
jorg

Senior User

Post #3
the arms will be compatible with both 16mm and 18mm ball joints so no big issues there, you just need to get the right ball joints to suit your hubs.

if budget allows as jeffers said above try and stick with genuine parts but it won't be cheap. i am currently looking for parts for my HDi and have been looking at using the mister-auto website. i will be trying to stick to febi bilstein, lemforder, TRW myself. i think i read somewhere monroe is ok too as its oem peugeot stuff now.

remember to keep your old arms if they are originals as you can always replaces the bushes on them

306 2.1 S16 Tarmac Rally Car
Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=143956
Posted 14th Feb 2019 at 09:47
alcon

Senior User

Post #4
I've used Lemforder arms many times over the years and never had any failures or any problems. I usually wait until Euros have a sale on and then get anything up to 50% off. Also, rather than messing around with individual bushes etc, new Lemforder arms come with all bushes in place. Like said above, buy whichever size ball joints you need to suit your hubs. Again, I've always found Lemforder ball joints to be perfectly adequate. My biggest problem is that with my car lowered, I tend to go through bushes quicker than normal.

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 14th Feb 2019 at 09:53
ale624

Regular

Post #5
quote:
[quote="jeffers"]If it was me, I’d be buying genuine arms if you can get your hands on them, the aftrmarket types appear to be prone to failure. Do a search, it’s not pretty.

Yes, i am trying to stay away from they Super cheap (£30!) chineseium clones. while i agree OEM is best, is it really £200 better??

quote:
[quote="jorg"]the arms will be compatible with both 16mm and 18mm ball joints so no big issues there, you just need to get the right ball joints to suit your hubs.

if budget allows as jeffers said above try and stick with genuine parts but it won't be cheap. i am currently looking for parts for my HDi and have been looking at using the mister-auto website. i will be trying to stick to febi bilstein, lemforder, TRW myself. i think i read somewhere monroe is ok too as its oem peugeot stuff now.

remember to keep your old arms if they are originals as you can always replaces the bushes on them

Never heard anything bad about MOOG, but if Monroe are now the OEM for Pug, i will grab a set of those.
i noticed on service box the original parts are superceeded, i am assuming then by monroe units??

so just to confirm i am understanding correctly, the arms are 'universal' its just the actual ball joint you need to make sure is correct?? if thats the case then i'll just get some OEM joints.

edit - fixed the stupid quotes
Posted 14th Feb 2019 at 11:48
alcon

Senior User

Post #6
The ball joint is bolted into the arm with three bolts, therefore replaceable without removing full arm. Some cheaper pattern parts come with ball joint plate riveted to the arm....avoid these!

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 14th Feb 2019 at 11:34
ale624

Regular

Post #7
quote:
[quote="alcon"]The ball joint is bolted into the arm with three bolts, therefore replaceable without removing full arm. Some cheaper pattern parts come with ball joint plate riveted to the arm....avoid these!

urg! another layer of complication!! looks like from the pictures both MOOG and Monroe are riveted.
Found some Lemforder ones, but the Left side doesnt match the part number i have, but its only 1 part number away from the other arm (lemforder number)

Right: https://www.autodoc.co.uk/lemforder/1251034 - Lemforder 17436 01
matches 3521E4

Left: https://www.autodoc.co.uk/lemforder/1251031 - Lemforder 17435 01
Doesnt list 3520H4

But, funnily enough, ECP has a Left Lemforder arm that is 'compatible'
LINK

Recon those arms will work??
i actually only reaally need the right arm to be fair, so i wouldnt be too annoyed if i had to return the left.
Posted 14th Feb 2019 at 15:06
jorg

Senior User

Post #8
the lemforder arms you have posted will be fine. they also have lemforder ball joints listed on the autodoc site so i would get them too, at least you know they will be good quality items.

you could just do the one side but if it was me i would do them both Yes

306 2.1 S16 Tarmac Rally Car
Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=143956
Posted 14th Feb 2019 at 14:57
ale624

Regular

Post #9
quote:
[quote="jorg"]the lemforder arms you have posted will be fine. they also have lemforder ball joints listed on the autodoc site so i would get them too, at least you know they will be good quality items.

you could just do the one side but if it was me i would do them both Yes

Grand, just ordered them!

Ordered some geniune Peugeot Balljoints as they werent that much more expensive and i needed a couple other things too LOL

Cheers guys!
Will update if they dont fit Razz
Posted 14th Feb 2019 at 15:04
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Shameless plug for my roller bearing bushes sale in the Parts for sale forum Whistle

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 14th Feb 2019 at 17:36
ale624

Regular

Post #11
quote:
[quote="eliotrw"]Shameless plug for my roller bearing bushes sale in the Parts for sale forum Whistle

Haha, i did think about them!
This car isnt track oriented, more of a Daily Driver, so i think they would be a bit too harsh for me! Thumbs up
Posted 14th Feb 2019 at 17:45
jord294

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
TRW are decent enough, and cheap enough

FRESHLY RE-FURBISHED GTI BEAMS
FITTING AND LOWERING AVAILABLE.
ALL AXLES BUILT USING GENUINE PEUGEOT PARTS

IF I'M NOT HERE, IT ONLY MEANS ONE THING.... I'M SOMEWHERE ELSE!
Posted 14th Feb 2019 at 19:04
ale624

Regular

Post #13
quote:
[quote="jord294"]TRW are decent enough, and cheap enough

You still doing those Refurb rear beams dude??

gonna need one at some point soonish, if I can be bothered to stop ignoring my slightly bent trailing arm Wink
Posted 14th Feb 2019 at 23:48