displaying posts 1 to 9 of 9

Author Subject: Passive rear steering
goldfish

Junior User

Post #1
Hi,
I've recently put some new wheels and tyres on my 6, they are...
Size 15 x 6
Offset + 18mm
Centre bore 65.1mm
Stud pattern 4 x 108 PCD
The tyres are Hankook Optimo K415 195/55/15.
When I'm going round and roundabout, not going fast just driving normally, the back end feels like it's stepping out, I previously had Cyclones with Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalins on there and this didn't happen at all.
Is what I'm feeling the passive rear steering on brand new tyres or are they just crap and not gripping at all?
Thanks in advance.
Posted 30th Jan 2019 at 09:56
alcon

Senior User

Post #2
Are you sure it's the back end that you feel stepping out and not the front end stepping in? This can happen when the wishbone bushes are gubbed.

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 30th Jan 2019 at 11:16
goldfish

Junior User

Post #3
quote:
[quote="alcon"]Are you sure it's the back end that you feel stepping out and not the front end stepping in? This can happen when the wishbone bushes are gubbed.

The p bushes? I replaced those a couple of months ago.
Posted 30th Jan 2019 at 11:32
alcon

Senior User

Post #4
There's also the rear bush on the wishbone and ball joint, worth checking those for excessive play when you're checking the P push. When mine have worn the whole car feels like its steering itself

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 30th Jan 2019 at 11:52
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
I have found with my car at standard spec, Back tyres if not any good will make it feel dodgy.

I had some cheap s**t on there when I got it originally (came with them) they were Austone tires wirth 25 a corner.

They would just lose it with little warning. I then fitted Michelin PE2's (equivalent to PS4's now) and it totally transformed the handling.

I don't think the rear steer is a factor in this case tbh. Alcon makes a good point too, Strange things happen with dodgy wishbone bushes.

TBH i don't rate any tyre available in that size any more and personally find tyres on this car make some of the biggest difference i've seen on a car. Can be night and day,

EDIT:
If you go down to 195.50.15 (speedo will be over reading slightly) you can get lots more choice at the cost of a bit of comfort. Michelin PS3's for example

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 31st Jan 2019 at 16:30
goldfish

Junior User

Post #6
I checked the other bushes when I changed the p bushes, my car was fine right up until I put new tyres on it, I've still got my Cyclones with the Bridgestone Potenzas on them so I'll put those back on this weekend. I just think it's the Hankooks I've put on, despite the reviews I read about them they're just a bit pants.
Posted 1st Feb 2019 at 11:37
alcon

Senior User

Post #7
Swapping your wheels/tyres back over should answer your question. I've got Hankooks on mine and they handle very well although I'm not sure which version they are. Mine are a bit wider as well mind you at 205x40x17

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 1st Feb 2019 at 12:05
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Could be the tyres, I remember years ago reading great reviews on Rainsport 2's so i bought a set. I just couldn't get on with them, the car felt like i was driving on jelly, nothing i did gave me any confidence in the car so in the end i basically gave them away and went for a set of Michelins and haven't looked back since.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 1st Feb 2019 at 13:22
iplay

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
If the offset is not standard it will affect the force on the rear passive steering.

Also if the rear passive steering mount (possibly not the right name) (the one that allows the rear wheels to flex out) is old it can also cause the passive steering to over steer on corners.

It can take quite a few miles to scrub up new tyres on the rear.
It takes about 500+ miles even on Michelin energy savers which are quite a hard compound.

With a new rear mount and tyres on standard wheels the car should drive like it is on rails.
Posted 10th Feb 2019 at 23:09