displaying posts 26 to 38 of 38

Pages (2): 1 [2]

Author Subject: Trackday gti project
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #26
That sucks ass. Clutch from the random batch with iffy rivets and shizzle?

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner
But now a Black caged rallye owner

HyperHyper

SEARCH

click here
Posted 19th Mar 2019 at 15:11
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
Mike I’m totally gutted for you Thumbs down

Let me know the outcome and what you find ?
Posted 19th Mar 2019 at 18:05
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
Will do. Satchshift will bother me for a while though as whole issue was due to hitting 4th instead of 6th. Heart sunk when it died as was convinced I’d killed the engine but still cranks over and already dropped the oil with no nastys droppin out.

Hopefully the clutch failing was a good sign as hopefully protected the engine.. new clutch on order and already have a spare crank sensor so plan to throw in a new clutch and get the box back on and hopefully it’ll fire up but time will tell. I was cautious and was letting the clutch out slowly so was a second but doesn’t take long so hoping for some luck come the weekend.. fingers crossed
Posted 19th Mar 2019 at 20:14
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
Well did a track day at Malory and car went well no issues to report so after last track day a welcome relief

Posted 20th Apr 2019 at 14:35
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #30
Thumbs up
How did the gear ratios feel Mike ?
Posted 20th Apr 2019 at 17:35
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #31
Good - takes some getting used to over the old box which was a 5 speed 1.9 be3 box with a 4.4fd. Certainly goes up through the gears quickly and very close together.

May do silverstone in a few weeks which will need all the gears lol as only got as high as 7250 in fifth at Mallory,
Posted 20th Apr 2019 at 17:57
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
Fantastic...glad your pleased Thumbs up

Keep the updates coming Mike Thumbs up
Posted 21st Apr 2019 at 16:51
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
Tbh plan now is to use it as much as pos and get faster with it as dream is still to obtain a race licence within the year.

I will need to replace the rear quarter windows though after getting carried away filling up and getting yet more fuel over the Lexan windows so think I’ll have to make a alloy panel like yours, but for now it’s built so crack on and use it for what it’s intended for lol
Posted 21st Apr 2019 at 19:17
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
Good luck with the license Mike Thumbs up

Hopefully I’ll have mine out soon ...I know what you mean LOL
Just use it
Posted 22nd Apr 2019 at 07:43
sg27

Post #35
Fun looking build! The race licence is a pretty easy one - as long as you can drive on a track at a reasonable minimum speed without being dangerous and can learn what about 7 different coloured bits of cloth mean!
Posted 22nd Apr 2019 at 15:45
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #36
Mike

Book yourself in with Pete Edwards at the Motorsport race school based at Mallory. I had to do my written test again 3 years ago as I had been refused my licence due to diabetes but now the MSA take a more fairer attitude to it, so I had my Nat A licence given back to me. Pete is very good and has a sense of humour !

It was embarrassing as he had a class of "children", and there was me, an old git, in the class. Suffice to say, the parents of a young girl approached me on the QT and asked me about what would be the best category for their daughter to compete in. Wish my parents had the sort of dosh that would have allowed me to race that young. I did race school at Brands in the 1970's and had Tony Trimmer [ex F1] and Tony Lanfranchi [BTCC champion in the 70's ] as coaches. Learned a lot. Great drivers.

Adventure before Dementia !!
Posted 25th Apr 2019 at 19:23
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #37
Thanks tbh a few people have suggested Mallory. hoping to crack it this year and go for the licence later on in the year with tricolour trophy in mind. Hopefully get to combe for bank hol Monday to watch as so far by far my favourite track although just booked Silverstone national for next week for first time.
Posted 25th Apr 2019 at 22:33
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #38
Took her out to silverstone last week. Morning Started off with nice weather which unfortunately turned to rain on and off all afternoon which is first time ever using it in the rain which made things interesting. All in all a cracking day out and look forward to the next one

Posted 8th May 2019 at 21:11

Pages (2): 1 [2]

Adrian Flux