displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: Trackday gti project
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Seeing some of the awesome projects on here thought I’d add my own. So far been just over a year of owning and my 3rd 306 having a gti and rallye previously also more recently come from a 205 gti6 which some parts were swapped into this.

The absolute main goal though is to do everything myself, well that’s physically possible as clearly sometimes you’ve just gotta fork outdoor somethings like mapping etc but the true enjoyment for me is building it

So started off with a shell picked up from here which a few may recognise as lapits old car clearly minus engine etc so basically bare shell, omp cage and suspension only.

So first off strip what’s left and clean

Posted 2nd Jan 2019 at 20:51
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Build wiring loom from scratch

In the effort to weight save and simplify add race tech dash

Single seat fitted

Posted 2nd Jan 2019 at 20:28
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Engine in with Newman ph2 cams, standard pistons with pockets deepened and jenveys from the 205
205 rad also fitted

Wheels and 4pots also from my old 205

Posted 2nd Jan 2019 at 20:30
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Got it all running and happy so decided to take it out and see what it could do at Mallory park.

All went well till just after lunch and failure occurred. Nothing to serious with the gear-lever shearing off comming out the hairpin Sad

All in all fairly successful. So replaced the failed lever and got down to castle Combe next for another day out which car performed well
Posted 2nd Jan 2019 at 20:32
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Only logical thing to do next was to build a new more powerful engine. So new rods, pistons and diesel crank and car cams were chosen and fitted for a bit more power

Posted 4th Jan 2019 at 21:16
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Cams were bedded in and a air box was fitted as drive by noise with bodies is high so opted for the box purely for sound reasons as want to get around the various UK tracks

Only issue was where to mount the intake so passenger headlight was chosen

Posted 2nd Jan 2019 at 20:46
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
All mapped and back to Combe to see the inprovements

Posted 2nd Jan 2019 at 20:40
Cjwatson27

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Was looking good the other day how you getting on fitting the satchshift ?

Old pugs don't die they just get faster
Posted 2nd Jan 2019 at 23:00
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
It’s in along with the gearbox, both rods catch the manifold though so have had to do a bit of adjusting by bending the rods in places. Just need to fit the bulkhead grommet to tighten the top rod up and then more adjusting as allthough in and gears are able to be selected the stick is a bit far to the left due to the manipulation of the lower rod so will go back a bit the other way to try and bring more central but certainly hopefull I’ll get it to fit this time round
Posted 3rd Jan 2019 at 06:50
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Car has been a 5 speed since I built it with a rebuilt (by me) 205 1.9 gti gearset with a 4.4fd which is well renowned set up in the 205 world giving close to the gearset quaife sell that teamed up with a 3j diff served me well and Was pleased but a well known 6 speed box came up with a 4.75fd so have now reverted it to a true gti6 again.

Previously I had a satchshift but unfortunately with my 4-2-1 this hit both the upper and lower roads forcing me to stick with a standard shifter. Again was never really happy so decided I’d have to make a satchshift fit one way or another so have spent the last few weekends getting it to fit amongst other things. This time round I pulled the front cage and dash out for room plus have more plans to further change the wiring/dash set up

It ain’t necessarily pretty but various bends and kinks were made to avoid the manifold

And the all important lever

Fuel system overhaul next
Posted 5th Jan 2019 at 18:25
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Love it Mike ...keep the updates coming m8 Thumbs up
Posted 6th Jan 2019 at 16:34

You are not able to post as you are not a member.
If you would like to upgrade your membership, please read the Membership section.

Greenlight Insurance