displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: Removing spark plugs
inzomatic

Regular

Post #1
Hello was trying to remove the bolts where the spark plugs are but my Alan keys won't shift them does anyone have any suggestions or know what bit I should get if I use a socket set ? Cheers

Innes drummond
Posted 16th Dec 2018 at 15:43
ale624

Regular

Post #2
if you mean the Coil packs (immediately above the plugs) they are an Allen 4 i believe. Grab yourself a set of 'Wobble' allens, they work up-to about 20-30 degree angle giving you full engagement without being straight on.

if you mean the plastic cover (between the two valve covers) you have a couple options, you can try using the same wobble allens. however, if they are very tight, an allen will strip a torx. I normally just use my wobble allens and they come right out. when you put them back in, they only need to be snug. dont go cranking down on them!

if they are stuck in there tight you need a set of screwdriver torx bits (im not sure what size they are tbh) and ideally a mini ratchet to drive them. I have found a little set like these to be perfect:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-2607017160-Screwdriving-Ratchet-Pieces/dp/B0071IK9CI/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1545002723&sr=1-1&keywords=small+ratchet

Or if you already have a screwdriver bit, you could use an adjustable spanner on them, or some vice grips...

one thing you make sure when you are dealing with allen or torx fasteners, you need to scrape the crap out of them and make sure you are all the way in, otherwise you will strip them out.
Posted 16th Dec 2018 at 23:33
inzomatic

Regular

Post #3
Cheers for that the plastic cover came of no bother it's just the coil packs are super tight some are Alan key some torx

Innes drummond
Posted 17th Dec 2018 at 08:37
Joep

Regular

Post #4
I had the same issue with my S16... Luckilly, I got them out but one was already stripped out. I am going to replace them all and fasten them just enough so I can get them out next time.

Make sure the Alen / Torx key is in perfectly (so not at an angle) and turn them slowly. Push the alen key down with one hand making sure it will not pivot.

My car park:
'96 Sigma Blue XSi6
'98 Diablo Red GTi6
'99 Onyx Black S16

All RFS powered!

Plus various other Peugeots
Posted 17th Dec 2018 at 14:28
mocinim

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Gt85 spray let it soak in will help

BLACK RALLYE - phoenix
WHITE RALLYE - valliant

http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
Posted 17th Dec 2018 at 19:40
ale624

Regular

Post #6
quote:
[quote="inzomatic"]Cheers for that the plastic cover came of no bother it's just the coil packs are super tight some are Alan key some torx

Sounds like the last person got a bit wild with the bolt bin and an impact...

i have a set of these:
https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/tool-kits/halfords-advanced-modular-tray-set-36pc-bit-socket-set?_br_psugg_q=modular+tray+set

They are a bit pricey, but you can stick an impact or a long wratchet on the end of them to really crank on them.
You might be able to get a pipe on the end of your allen keys, but i wouldnt really recommend that...

good luck!
Posted 18th Dec 2018 at 15:09