displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: Pedal Problems
cdgray

Regular

Post #1
Recently I have noticed sometimes my clutch pedal does not fully return after operation. I have to put my foot underneath it to flick it back up but when I do the initial phase of depression does not have the same resistance as normal. It seems to be worse when first using the car and tends to get better and go back to normal more or less. The clutch cable and clutch were replaced a year ago so I think it’s related to the pedal itself and the return springs.

Has anyone else had this? If so what was the resolution? I have greased up the pedal asst and this seems to have helped a bit.

Also, while I was in there, I noticed the the accelerator pedal operation is not very smooth and there is a grinding sound when operated, which seems to come from the pivot. Grease didn’t seem to make a difference here. I have never noticed this while driving. Any idea here and how to resolve?

Chris - Phase 3 Moonstone GTi 6
Posted 3rd Dec 2018 at 09:10
alcon

Senior User

Post #2
As far as I remember, there is no return spring on the clutch pedal itself...the pedal returns due to the cable. When my cable snapped on me, the pedal just flopped around. I think the problem lies with your cable.

The accelerator pedal is similar and mine started squeaking a while ago, really annoying! I fixed mine by spraying the pivot pin with WD40 or similar....seemed to fix the squeak and the slight stiffness.

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 3rd Dec 2018 at 10:30
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #3
Self adjusting mechanism on the cable I'd imagine.

Fully depress the clutch pedal and side step it a couple of times. Should sort it.

Cherry Red Rallye .... On going OEM spec resto

China Blue GTi6 .... Weekend toy

Black 208 GTi .... Wife's car now

Silver BMW 550i.... The executive missile

Posted 3rd Dec 2018 at 18:26
mocinim

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
The rubber on the end of the clutch cable at the bulk head can perish and trap the cable causing stiffness and sometimes stopping the cable from fully pulling back leaving it floppy
Chuck a new cable in bud should sort things

BLACK RALLYE - phoenix
WHITE RALLYE - valliant

http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
Posted 3rd Dec 2018 at 18:56
cdgray

Regular

Post #5
The clutch cable is basically new, at only a year old and has done around 3-4K miles. My last one had been on the car 10 year and over 100K that I knew about, so I’d be surprised if it is this (unless the cable is faulty of course).

There definitely is a return spring on the clutch pedal. I’ll try and get a picture to post later. As I understand it, the spring on the pedal is there to return the pedal to the top of its travel, so I was fairly sure this is where the fault lies. Unfortunately, neither this spring or the associated assembly are available from Pug anymore.

I think I may also have identified the issue with the accelerator pedal. Looking on servicebox yesterday, it seems there has been an extra nut added that isn’t required. I think when my clutch cable was replaced, they must have remove the accelerator pedal for access and added another it when putting it back on. I’ll double check the installation to the drawing later and post some pics of this too.

Posted 5th Dec 2018 at 06:25
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Most people remove that spring and notice zero difference, they actually report an improvement in pedal feel but I noticed no difference myself.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 5th Dec 2018 at 12:56
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #7
I much preferred the pedal feel with the release spring fitted. Good positive pedal return regardless of how quickly you lift your foot.

It only causes problems if the clutch and/or cable are f**ked.

Check the release fork is moving freely in its plastic bushes. That can cause cable and pedal return issues if there's stiffness there.

Rich
Posted 5th Dec 2018 at 15:26
cdgray

Regular

Post #8
Both cable, clutch and fork bearings were replaced a year ago and done less than 4000 miles since then, which is why I’m a bit confused by it. It also did it before sometimes on the old cable and clutch. The pedal isn’t heavy, like it gets when the fork bushes are f*cked.

Posted 7th Dec 2018 at 13:07
ale624

Regular

Post #9
I was in this exact situation a month or so ago (posted here about it actually!)

the little plastic dowel that keeps the the clutch 'helper' Spring from pinging off wears down and basically ends up stopping the pedal at the 'first' position before you kick it back up with your foot.

i've removed the spring and have not had any issues with the pedal travel since!
its held on by a little metal clip and a ball socket. pop the clip off and it just pulls off. this will 100% fix your pedal not returning all the way!

EDIT: Should probably note, it was doing it when i first got the car about 2.5 years ago, and i greased the s**t out of everything down there then, which held up until around 1-2 months ago, when it started doing it again and no grease would help!

i am actually going to be fitting a new clutch cable as i occasionally still get grinds into reverse, no idea when it would have been replaced last, so i figure its probably not a bad idea!
Posted 15th Dec 2018 at 20:37
cdgray

Regular

Post #10
That sounds like the exact same thing and I have just read your post on it.

Just to confirm, we are talking about the spring that is located around the white spacer on the pivot and has an arm that run down the back of the pedal?

I was in there again yesterday and happened to move this spring and it seemed to clipped back into position as the pedal felt back to normal again.

So if I remove this smaller spring completely, this will solve the problem then.

Posted 9th Dec 2018 at 08:24
ale624

Regular

Post #11
quote:
[quote="cdgray"]That sounds like the exact same thing and I have just read your post on it.

Just to confirm, we are talking about the spring that is located around the white spacer on the pivot and has an arm that run down the back of the pedal?

I was in there again yesterday and happened to move this spring and it seemed to clipped back into position as the pedal felt back to normal again.

So if I remove this smaller spring completely, this will solve the problem then.

Yup. dont remember exactly what it looked like, but from what you describe it sounds correct. there was only one spring down there! Big grin

Just pop off that whole arm and keep it as a unit. wont cause you any issues!
i've kept mine, but only because I'm a parts hoarder!

I'd just throw it in a samwich baggie and keep it in the glove-box for a week or two
if you do get any issues its a 2 minute job to pop it back on Thumbs up

Alex
Posted 15th Dec 2018 at 20:35