displaying posts 1 to 9 of 9

Author Subject: Confession...
SmartyC

Regular

Post #1
Hi chaps

My confession is that I have been tempted out of my Gti-6 through an article in Modern Classics mag.
Said beastie is - please don't hate me too much - a BMW 320si. If you don't know, it's a touring car homologation special. Only 500 UK cars, 2600 in total.
Not the fastest, but reported widely to have supreme handling, second only to an M3. Interesting features are the hand built engine and carbon cam cover.

If it's any consolation, the 6 went to one of the Modern Classics mag team, so I hope that it will be featured and help values rise.

Thanks for all advice given, the forum mine of information and it was great to meet some of you.

I will be one of the official photographers at next year's Peugeot Festival, so i hope to see some of you there.

All the best.

Smarty

My lil toy:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/martincurtisphotography/sets/72157640014140786/
Posted 1st Dec 2018 at 19:39
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
quote:
[quote="SmartyC"]Hi chaps

My confession is that I have been tempted out of my Gti-6 through an article in Modern Classics mag.
Said beastie is - please don't hate me too much - a BMW 320si. If you don't know, it's a touring car homologation special. Only 500 UK cars, 2600 in total.
Not the fastest, but reported widely to have supreme handling, second only to an M3. Interesting features are the hand built engine and carbon cam cover.

If it's any consolation, the 6 went to one of the Modern Classics mag team, so I hope that it will be featured and help values rise.

Thanks for all advice given, the forum mine of information and it was great to meet some of you.

I will be one of the official photographers at next year's Peugeot Festival, so i hope to see some of you there.

All the best.

That's a shame but nevermind, you'll love the BMW I'm sure.

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 2nd Dec 2018 at 13:35
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Good luck Thumbs up .......but sadly known for lots of issues Whistle

I think you will end up massively regretting it Razz
Posted 2nd Dec 2018 at 13:43
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Yeah mate they are DOGS stay away trust me and I say this as a 306 GTi-6 owner of probably 9 years now, that would full on commit multiple murders for a a M2 Comp.

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 4th Dec 2018 at 09:34
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
I saw the same article and was really tempted - hand-built engine, carbon cam cover, low volume homologation special, sounds like something I need in my life. On top of the fact I've also always liked that shape 3-series. In the right colour with the right wheels etc, it looks fantastic.

Then I read about the engine problem with bore liners de-laminating etc, and I also looked at the power and torque figures and realised they are nigh-on identical to the GTI-6/Rallye but at 1350kg the BMW is 135kg heavier than a '6' and more than that over a Rallye.

I'd still really like one, but my Rallye is staying.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 10th Dec 2018 at 21:05
SmartyC

Regular

Post #6
quote:
[quote="aaron6"]
quote:
[quote="SmartyC"]Hi chaps

All the best.

That's a shame but nevermind, you'll love the BMW I'm sure.

Thanks and yeah I hope so - am so far and have not got to know it yet. See you at the Festival! I'm an official photographer in 2019! Smile

Smarty

My lil toy:
Posted 10th Dec 2018 at 21:17
SmartyC

Regular

Post #7
quote:
[quote="Day666"]Good luck Thumbs up .......but sadly known for lots of issues Whistle

I think you will end up massively regretting it Razz

Yeah, I know, but this one is sound and you have to take some risks in life sometimes! Wink

Smarty

My lil toy:
Posted 10th Dec 2018 at 21:18
SmartyC

Regular

Post #8
quote:
[quote="eliotrw"]Yeah mate they are DOGS stay away trust me and I say this as a 306 GTi-6 owner of probably 9 years now, that would full on commit multiple murders for a a M2 Comp.

LOL Thumbs up

We will see. So far, it's sweet.

Smarty

My lil toy:
Posted 10th Dec 2018 at 21:19
SmartyC

Regular

Post #9
quote:
[quote="mik"]I saw the same article and was really tempted - hand-built engine, carbon cam cover, low volume homologation special, sounds like something I need in my life. On top of the fact I've also always liked that shape 3-series. In the right colour with the right wheels etc, it looks fantastic.

Then I read about the engine problem with bore liners de-laminating etc, and I also looked at the power and torque figures and realised they are nigh-on identical to the GTI-6/Rallye but at 1350kg the BMW is 135kg heavier than a '6' and more than that over a Rallye.

I'd still really like one, but my Rallye is staying.

I'm a RWD boy at heart and not into ultimate speed, so the prospect of a truly special chassis really enticed me. I can get a few more ponies from the motor, to add a little more zest, so it's all good.

Smarty

My lil toy:
Posted 10th Dec 2018 at 21:20