displaying posts 76 to 84 of 84

Pages (4): first .. 2 3 [4]

Author Subject: T343 KGF Red Rallye
S8-Tom

Junior User

Post #76
Well that was fun. My advice is, if you're thinking of doing a beam refresh yourself don't, pay one of the established guy's to do it for you. I haven't/won't have saved any money in doing this myself but I will have gained a lot of experience - experience that tells me to pay somebody else to do it!
In all honesty I like doing stuff myself, it's just the frustration of it all that gets me.

In the last post I had the torsion bars in the original beam soaking in PlusGas. This worked reasonably well as the method of extraction, some 12.9 grade bolts and a socket, was successful.

I popped out the bearings in the original tube just to see what was going on. Here's a picture of the worst bearing. You can clearly see where the trailing arm shaft has worn through the outer shell.

I now had:
Knackered beam tube.
Knackered trailing arms.
Good 20mm torsion bars.
Spare beam still assembled.

Hoping that the spare beam was in a usable state I set to with the same methods of disassembly as previously.
Hmmm, ARB end-plates were a bugger to remove. Bolts in end of torsion bars were a bugger to remove. Torsion bars themselves were going nowhere; I snapped all of the 12.9 grade bolts I'd bought.

I fished out some M16 stud I had and made a puller.

Nope, that didn't work either. Off to see a chap with the right tools for the job and he had the torsion bars out in 10mins (I definitely loosened them though).

I was relieved to see the trailing arms in good shape. This one in particular would be reusable.

Bearings weren't bad either.

The trailing arms from the original beam have had their shafts and stub axles removed and I've also got the ABS sensors out without too much grief. Everything is now with the powder-coater and I'll await the call to go and collect.

In the meantime I've got new handbrake cables to fit and a driveshaft seal to replace.

1343Z4 coolant hose o-rings for sale
Posted 20th Sep 2019 at 09:24
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #77
Rear beams are a b**ch. Destroyed 3 on my old 6 Sad bought bronze bearing oilite conversion and never looked back.

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner
But now a Black caged rallye owner

HyperHyper

SEARCH

click here
Posted 22nd Sep 2019 at 09:51
S8-Tom

Junior User

Post #78
Guessing bronze bushes would work (and obviously have) in a rear beam application. They'd also be readily available from a local bearing supplier. There'd be a bit of stiction but a good option for a more heavy duty/race application.

The original needle rollers seem to be good for 100K'ish and my Rallye's just a weekend/fun car. Interested to see any pics of the bronze bushes though?

Posted 22nd Sep 2019 at 14:21
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #79
Mines currently track setup so the beam does take a bit of a pounding along with the solid mounts.I may have a picture somewhere will have to check

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner

HyperHyper

SEARCH

click here
Posted 22nd Sep 2019 at 15:07
S8-Tom

Junior User

Post #80
No much to see here, just documenting the process...

Whilst the beam parts are off at the powder coaters I've been cleaning-up some of the brackets and also the calipers.

Round 1

Round 2

Caliper and heat shield parts will be coated in VHT silver and the rest will be black. All external seals will be replaced on the calipers as the originals are mostly torn and/or brittle.

I've made-up new rigid lines for the section between flexi-line and caliper. I've used Kunifer for the first time and, although it's more difficult to form, it's more rigid and holds its form better. Also fitted new handbrake cables for good measure.

Posted 30th Sep 2019 at 13:38
S8-Tom

Junior User

Post #81
Almost there with the beam refurb...

Collected the parts from the powder coaters at the end of last week.

I got someone else to press in the trailing arm shafts and stub axles. Unfortunately the bracket, on the trailing arm, that holds the caliper and abs sensor got broken whilst pressing in the stub axle. I've replaced that with a spare that I cleaned up and painted gloss black to match the powder coat on the rest of the trailing arm.

Over the weekend I tidied up the ends of the beam tube...

...keyed the yellow powder coat and applied several coats of gloss black.

I bought a shiny hardware kit from axlesbystef...

...and began fitting the axle to the car.

I bagged a pair of OE front beam mounts from eBay for £30 so these replace the Febi one's I fitted not so long ago.

Not the best pics I'm afraid.

I've got the drivers side on with torsion bar in. Passenger side left to do + refit brakes with new rigid & flexi lines and re-attach the exhaust. Assembling it all on the car as I think it'll be easier to lift it all in to position - seems to have worked so far.

Posted 7th Oct 2019 at 12:42
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #82
Looking good

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner

HyperHyper

SEARCH

click here
Posted 8th Oct 2019 at 18:26
S8-Tom

Junior User

Post #83
hovis16 wrote:
Looking good

Thanks! Yeah, it's looking pretty tidy and it's a shame it'll all be hidden by the heat shield, exhaust and spare Thumbs down

Pretty much there now and excited to see how it performs Hyper Axle is completely assembled and I've fitted the replacement flexi and rigid lines. Calipers have had all of the external rubbers replaced.
Left to do is: fit painted pad carrier, backing plate and pads then bleed the brakes. Fit cables in to calipers and adjust parking brake. Re-fit exhaust, heatshield and spare wheel.

I've bucked the trend of Bilstein dampers and gone for Monroe Monotube dampers

I was hoping to get their Reflex version (part E5001) although these seem impossible to source. I've ended up with the 'Original' version.

The difference between the two is that the 'Reflex' has a speed-sensitive valve which I assume is just a sprung check valve against the compression shim stack? I think the 'Original' flavour will be fine for my purposes/on a road car Thumbs up

Posted 9th Oct 2019 at 09:36
S8-Tom

Junior User

Post #84
Been through and swapped out all of the blurry Photobucket links.

Thought I'd best grab a few quick pics before the exhaust etc goes on. Bit dark but, you've all seen refurbed beam before.

I did start tidying the exhaust heatshield but ran out of time.

Posted 11th Oct 2019 at 16:10

Pages (4): first .. 2 3 [4]