displaying posts 251 to 260 of 260

Pages (11): first .. 9 10 [11]

Author Subject: Tom's Red Rallye
alcon

Senior User

Post #251
It's amazing how thick powder coating can be and how it can affect fine tolerances.

'Brake servo measuring tool for sale' should definitely be offered in your sig!

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 13th Jun 2023 at 08:46
marksorrento205

Seasoned Pro

Post #252
Result the strip and rebuild worked well. I shall take a look at mine next time the engine is out of it, cheers

How to do a clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 13th Jun 2023 at 16:35
panosbr

Post #253
S8-Tom wrote:

I removed the backrest fabric from the seat and had a new section of vinyl put in and the local garage welded the tilt mechanism for £5!

Good day Tom,I know it is many years ago,since you repaired the side bolster , and if you remember from which vehicle you matched the fabric of the sides/bolster for the rallye seat?
https://i.imgur.com/eighrlol.jpg

Looking to fix back mine ,as the previous owner has replaced it in the past but it with not the same!I have read that this fabric for the sides is the same from old Golf but was not able to find suitable one!

Posted 25th Jun 2023 at 19:03
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #254
alcon wrote:
It's amazing how thick powder coating can be and how it can affect fine tolerances.

'Brake servo measuring tool for sale' should definitely be offered in your sig!

Big grin It'd cost more to post than it costs to make, but thanks.

marksorrento205 wrote:
Result the strip and rebuild worked well. I shall take a look at mine next time the engine is out of it, cheers

Cheers. I had my cams out so there was just enough space to wriggle the servo out.

panosbr wrote:
Looking to fix back mine ,as the previous owner has replaced it in the past but it with not the same!I have read that this fabric for the sides is the same from old Golf but was not able to find suitable one!

It was just the vinyl section I replaced and my local trimmer just happened to have an exact match for that!
The black fabric part you're looking to replace looks to be available in two types - there's a close weave and more open weave. I know this as, most of the seats in my car are the more open weave type whilst the rear bench (bottom part) is the closer weave. I replaced the bottom part of the rear bench as my original one had a cigarette burn in it.

There's a seller who does new 205 GTi seat covers. He stocks a black 'needle point(?)' fabric that looks close.

Edit: can't find a link for the fabric mentioned above but, maybe this?

1343Z4 coolant hose o-rings for sale
198131 injector o-rings for sale
Posted 27th Jun 2023 at 10:02
panosbr

Post #255
Thanks for the comment.
Should ask for a sample of this 207/407 to review.

There is a thread were is mentioned that this side black fabric can be matched from VW Golf old models.

Maybe this also could be close :

https://tissens.com/en/automotive-yougtimers-fabrics/2403-genuine-side-fabric-for-volkswagen-golf-gti.html
Posted 27th Jun 2023 at 16:30
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #256
6 months+ since I updated this.

I'll be honest, 2023 was sh1t. Reading back through the last few posts, I'd had all of that nonsense with the clutch and then fannying about with the brake servo.
It all culminated in an MOT fail in August, the first time that's happened in my ownership. It was down to a bunch of stupid 'regular 306 stuff' (you can look for yourself) + a newly qulified tester (I think) who I almost ran over earlier in the year (I think). Around that time I had some serious issues to contend with with my youngest (he's actually coming out of hospital 24th Jan - 5 months!) so the car got put away.

I've dabbled in sorting a few bits but that also meant I caused more problems (brain understandably elsewhere).

Some not insignificant parts have been stockpiled and I'm feeling ready to dive back in and get the Rallye out on the road by spring, so watch this space ...

Posted 19th Jan 2024 at 10:10
marksorrento205

Seasoned Pro

Post #257
Tom, hope things are on the up for you and look forward to seeing updates on the motor. Always enjoy reading this thread Thumbs up

How to do a clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 20th Jan 2024 at 18:59
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #258
S8-Tom wrote:
6 months+ since I updated this.

I'll be honest, 2023 was sh1t. Reading back through the last few posts, I'd had all of that nonsense with the clutch and then fannying about with the brake servo.
It all culminated in an MOT fail in August, the first time that's happened in my ownership. It was down to a bunch of stupid 'regular 306 stuff' (you can look for yourself) + a newly qulified tester (I think) who I almost ran over earlier in the year (I Thumbs up think). Around that time I had some serious issues to contend with with my youngest (he's actually coming out of hospital 24th Jan - 5 months!) so the car got put away.

I've dabbled in sorting a few bits but that also meant I caused more problems (brain understandably elsewhere).

Some not insignificant parts have been stockpiled and I'm feeling ready to dive back in and get the Rallye out on the road by spring, so watch this space ...

Hope everything changes for the Better Tom & your Lad get sorted x
Posted 21st Jan 2024 at 05:11
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #259
Sorry to hear mate, I did wonder where you disappeared to. Hope the oy is doing well now. Look after yourself and him.

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner
But now a Black caged rallye owner

Hunting for Go faster bits!

SEARCH

click here
Posted 21st Jan 2024 at 17:27
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #260
Thanks for the support all. Many more battles ahead but he's doing well right now.

So, the "not insignificant parts"!

Part of the MOT failure was due to 'Driver's airbag obviously inoperative' and 'Stop lamp(s) all not working'.

The connectors under the seat no longer responded to being wiggled or pushed together harder so I needed a permanent solution to that and I knew the brake light switch was iffy.

I've been through the initiation right of fiddling with the brake light switch insitu (numerous times) and I've got the scras to prove it so, with the airbag wiring needing attention (some under the carpet) and the brake ligh switch I decided that taking the dash, front carpet and seats out was the way to go as it'd make things easier Yes

I'm sure you've all been at the "while I'm in there" moment and lived to regret it later.

"Why don't I get that spare dash flocked Hmm " and "I could remove all of the unused wiring from behind the dash Hmm "

The dash is great. I decided to have a flocked dash as I'm not particularly tall and the reflection in the windscreen of the original vinyl dash wasn't much fun especially when 'pushing-on' a bit.

Flocking was done by NAD's Automotive Developments in Littlehampton. Ash spent an age masking it up and it really shows, even the back has nice clean lines where the flock finishes.

The plastic that still shows isn't as abvious in person, it's just that the flock is sooo black it makes the plastic stand out in the pics.

As for removing the unused wiring Doh

Thank f**k I labelled everything and logged where every pin and wire was removed from. I had to backpeddle nore than once and refit stuff until everything worked again. About 750g of wiring and excess stuff has been removed and it really wasn't worth it so just don't, OK!

As I've been bustin' my balls at work and been through a ton of crap at home I thought I'd treat myself to something nice.

Sppedline SL2108 from Retro Race & Rally. Ian's local and the price was about as good as I could find.

I fancied a change and I can never get the cyclones balanced properly anywhere locally despite there being a few places with the right adaptor.

To go with the wheels some new Michelin Pilot Sport 3's

Aaaand finally, an Emerald K6+ with Pug1Off patch lead.

This probably won't be installed until the winter, when other things might happen, but I want to get the car running with it, on just a simple start map, so I can use the knowledge I've gained from the dash loom saga to work out which pin from the ecu goes to where so that I can make my own wiring loom.

I'm hoping by the end of April the car will be back together, M.O.T'd and out on the road.

Posted 21st Mar 2024 at 14:35

Pages (11): first .. 9 10 [11]