A few more little jobs have been ticked off the list and the car's feeling all the better for it.
Must've been November 2019 I'd been left stranded with what turned out to be a failed starter motor. I'd bought a replacement from the local motor factor just to get the car mobile again and it seemed to be doing a fine job so was left alone.
Now, with the engine rebuilt, and compression back to what it should be, the cheap starter was struggling to turn the engine over quickly enough for my liking.
I'd had the original Valeo starter rebuilt at the same time as my alternator (that had died dousing it in petrol and water) so it was ready to go on. Why I didn't do that whilst he engine was out is probably something to do with the shiny appearance of a newer starter.
The Valeo starter had had a new body, with magnets, and new brushes. Seems to have done the trick and starting is much more positive.
When I got the car it was fitted with an MTS branded back box. I'd been impressed with the quality so replaced the mid section and cat with MTS items.
I'd had to drill a couple of holes in the back box to drain all of the water/condensation that had built-up inside it (plugged with rivets) presumably whilst it had been sat in a yard for years and then not driven much before I got it. I knew I would be on borrowed time and now, it appears, that time was up.
MTS replacement sourced via ebay. I was advised I'd be waiting a month for delivery from Italy but I was happy to wait.
Replacement isn't as deep as the previous version
The blow wasn't too bad but it wasn't going to improve
I'd slapped some paste on just to seal the blow whilst I waited for the replacement to arrive.
Aside from the exhaust I've replaced the single electrode NGK plugs for the more usual twin version as I thought this might've been contributing to the lazy starting problem. Also replaced the crank sensor as I found a Bosch one for a good price - can't hurt replacing a 20+yr old sensor.
Car seems to be a bit smoother in the general running department and the exhaust has quietened things down just slightly.
Unfortunately I seem to have a very slight weep of coolant from the heat exchanger. I checked the pipes above whilst doing the starter and they were fine. Not sure what the solution to this is as I don't think a replacement part is available, maybe good used replacement or sandwich plate + oil cooler? Just going to monitor things for now.
Last on the list is a pair of 21mm torsion bars. I've got Xsara VTS springs on the front, which are slightly stiffer, so I'm hoping that the thicker bars will balance things out - I'd felt a slight sway from the back at Goodwood.
They're with the powder coater at present so not fitted yet.
Away from the mechanicals I've been using the car to go to and from the office this past week. She'd got pretty filthy so a good scrub was in order before meeting some of the local car club at the weekend.
Not a huge turn out due to the weather but a few 306's (HDi estate, Rallye and completely stock GTi-6) and a lovely old 505 estate that's just had a fresh coat of paint. Coincidentally, the 505 appears to have been sold from the same dealer as my Rallye!
________________________________________1343Z4 coolant hose o-rings for sale
198131 injector o-rings for sale