displaying posts 176 to 200 of 260

Pages (11): first .. 7 [8] 9 .. last

Author Subject: Tom's Red Rallye
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #176
S8-Tom wrote:
eiei0 wrote:
Looking good Tom

Thanks. Looks like you're not far off getting yours started and on the road?

jeffers wrote:
How’re you planning on running this in Tom?

Good question. Rough plan is:

Millers running in oil and just straight deionised water. Run for 20mins varying revs up to 2000rpm mainly to check for leaks etc.
Drain oil & water. New filter. More running in oil + coolant mix this time.
For 200 miles'ish drive the car keeping revs below 4K and allowing it to run down from 4K. Also take in some hills to load it up.
After that, regular 10W40 semi-synthetic and a new filter and drive as normal Dunno

If anyone's got any advice or recommendations I'd be glad to hear them Thumbs up

Bearing in mind the only thing you’re bedding in is your piston rings, I’d only use running in oil for a short amount of time, in fact when I bedded in mine I took it to my local tuners and they ran it in on a hub dyno on a preset program for an hour then we let it go. Piston rings need pressure behind them to bed them into the bores and prevent bore glazing which can happen quite quickly. Also use something like a mineral oil, apparently the additives ina semi oil arrest the break in process. Either way personally I’d do a relatively short running in period in the interests of longevity. Everyone’s got an opinion tho...

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 17th Mar 2021 at 16:32
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #177
10w40, full send, change it after mapping.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 17th Mar 2021 at 18:24
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #178
welshpug! wrote:
10w40, full send, change it after mapping.

That’s how I was told

Unless you have access to a test bed Thumbs up

PS ...Tom looking great mucker
Posted 17th Mar 2021 at 21:50
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #179
Cry I thought I had it all worked out Cry

Getting some pressure behind the rings is the vital bit from what I can tell. WOT from low speed in a high gear should be the way to go.

Still open to advice/opinions though Thumbs up

1343Z4 coolant hose o-rings for sale
198131 injector o-rings for sale
Posted 18th Mar 2021 at 07:35
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #180
Things progressed reasonably quickly last week while I was off work. Got the engine down to where the car's stored

Got the gearbox on with a new LuK clutch and speed sensor.

I'd left the cam covers off to make it easier to reach around ( Blush ) and fit the exhaust manifold and heat shield.
Fitted the cam covers with the Thermo-Tec seals and a bit of Wellseal, hopefully this sealing solution works.

Bought and fitted some Baker BM breather hoses. Original one's were old, brittle and cracked. You can also see the oil take-off for the pressure sender that I've secured to the bottom of the battery box.

Got the engine pretty much assembled in the bay and set-to wiring in the VDO gauges so I could check oil pressure was where it needed to be before firing it up. This didn't go to plan as I really don't have a clue when it comes to electrics. I've now got the pressure gauge reading, and the 'idiot' light doing what it should however, the gauge illumination, that was working, now isn't Doh

Gauge is reading 4.5 bar (heading towards 5) on cold cranking which I've read is about where it should be. I'll be collecting some fresh fuel on the next visit and hopefully firing her up Hyper

Posted 6th Apr 2021 at 13:15
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #181
Great update Tom Thumbs up

Hope you get it started mucker
Posted 6th Apr 2021 at 20:07
eiei0

Regular

Post #182
Good work Tom,

Why did you need to add sealer to the thermotec gaskets,

Thought they didn't need them?

Thanks
Trevor
Posted 6th Apr 2021 at 20:12
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #183
eiei0 wrote:
Why did you need to add sealer to the thermotec gaskets,

Thought they didn't need them?

You're right, they don't need any sealer but I figured it couldn't do any harm Dunno The Stag Wellseal is really thin runny stuff that doesn't set but works well on imperfect machined surfaces so it'll fill any gaps the gaskets can't flex in to. It also helped hold the gaskets in place whilst I put the covers on.

Posted 7th Apr 2021 at 08:41
eiei0

Regular

Post #184
Thanks Tom I have a set of gaskets here just waiting for my powder coated cam covers to be done,

Can't find anyone selling wellseal over here so may try find an alternative

Thanks
Trevor
Posted 8th Apr 2021 at 10:06
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #185
Brought the car home yesterday evening. Did about 20 miles and it feels brilliant - quiet, smooth and the new clutch is a joy, couldn't be happier Big grin

With a job taking this amount of time, effort and money you always question what you're doing with your life but driving the car again, with the way it handles, the ride and the sound it makes, all of the reservations get quickly forgotten.

Previously I'd run the car up to temperature whilst static but varying the revs between idle and sub 3K.
Once it was up to temp I changed the running-in oil for more of the same, new filter and replaced the water with 50:50 coolant mix.

Driving the car for the 20 mile trip I was on a dual carriageway followed by some A and B roads. Being 6.30 / 7ish in the evening the roads were reasonably quiet so finding space to accelerate in 4th on WOT from 2K to 4K, then letting it run back down again, wasn't an issue - I was a bit apprehensive about doing this on public roads but it really wasn't an issue at that time of the day, just checking mirrors etc & making sure I had plenty of space ahead and behind.

Planning on doing much the same most evenings. I'll change to a 10W40 semi-synth and fresh filter somewhere before 500 miles / when the car feels like it's at full power again.

I've got a couple of minor drips of oil from the sump /sump plug area. The sump bolts were tightened to 10Nm but there's info out there that suggests 20Nm so I'll give them all a nip-up and check the drain plug. The cam covers have also got a couple of runs so I'll nip those down too and keep an eye on things.

Posted 13th Apr 2021 at 10:52
eiei0

Regular

Post #186
Well done Tom always nice to get a project completed and bring it for a spin,

I'm sure you can't wait to give it the beans when it's all run in
Posted 13th Apr 2021 at 15:32
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #187
Fantastic Read Tom Thumbs up

Good luck Mucker
Posted 13th Apr 2021 at 18:53
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #188
Thanks gents!

Took her out for a spin last night and got another 80miles on the engine bringing the total to 100. You can definitely tell when things are starting to come together as the engine feels 'tighter', more together with more grunt. I suspect it's about as run-in as it's going to get but I'll keep going to see if things improve further + I want to make sure those minor leaks are sorted before changing the oil again.

Looking to do some shorter journey's the rest of this week then a longer stretch Saturday evening where I'll head up the A3 (more 4th gear, WOT to 4K & cost down) head east on to the A272 for some faster twisty fun then dive south to Fuel Coffee House for a burger! That round trip should see another 100miles under my belt.

Posted 14th Apr 2021 at 11:14
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #189
Well, I got my burger and the drive out was pleasant. Apologies if I upset any Sussex residents with my driving but, needs must LOL

I've got about 60miles left to do until I reach the 500mile marker so I expect I'll be changing the oil come the weekend.
I've been building things up to 5K+ rpm and nothing's gone pop yet. Mechanically all seems well; I've got the tiniest amount of oil being dropped and this is from the rear cam-cover, planning to remove that and add more Wellseal when I do the oil change.

There's been a few electrical issues that have affected the running (or so it feels). The speedo was behaving strangely with the following symptoms:
Odd ticking on 1st and 2nd position at ignition, couldn't hear it once car was started.
Flickering rev needle accompanying the tick.
Rev & speedo needle not moving until the car was rolling.
Coolant temp not returning to zero on turning the car off, stayed at 70.
Right turn indicator lamp on display not working.
Car felt harsh/jolting on gear changes.

This has all been resolved by swapping to a spare instrument cluster from an XSi. I've lost the oil temp functionality on the display but I've got a separate gauge for oil temp now.

Mileage on knackerd dials at removal.

Mileage on replacement dials at replacement (screen shot from a video).

Temp and pressure gauges.

Had a bit of a problem with getting the gauges to work initially. Turns out they don't like an LED as the low oil pressure warning indicator. Had to find a red filament lamp to make it all work. Prior to this revelation I'd spent a week trying all sorts of wiring configurations and had the pressure gauge going backwards at one point!

I was going to wait to do this until the final oil change of the running-in process but thought, why not do it now.
I'd assumed the OE air filter, although being relatively new, would be contaminated with oil given how heavily the engine had been breathing (I wasn't wrong!) so had planned to replace it. I found an ITG Performance filter on eBay for a bit less than they're currently available for from Merlin Motorsport so snapped it up.

It was more the airbox lid/base, than the filter, that was contaminated with oil and filtered debris.
Doesn't appear to have made any noticeable change to the sound but the car feels a little more eager to accelerate Dunno

Pic from last nights run-in drive-out.

Posted 21st Apr 2021 at 19:02
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #190
With the running in period complete I've just been driving the car and doing a few odd jobs. The passenger side wing mirror got replaced for a new OE one as the adjuster knob had come adrift, the replacement is much smoother to adjust.
The gear selector rods didn't feel bad but had been off a couple of times and one of the shorter one's got slightly bent. All three got replaced and I couldn't believe how much tighter it all feels!

The roof on the car was completely devoid of any lacquer and there were areas of paint missing down to the primer. I had a go at wrapping it but that ended in disaster so three rattle cans from the local paint supplier were thrown over, doesn't look too bad actually!

Before & after

When I had the Michelin PS3's fitted I found that one of the wheels had a not insignificant flat-spot in it. I had a couple of spare rims so prepped and painted one. Got some runs in the lacquer but, like the rest of the car, the wheels will be getting a pro refresh at some point.

First coat

Also replaced all of the exhaust mounts for the one's salvaged from the 80K XSi I broke. The motor factor one's on the car had only done 2K tops (dead one at the bottom and this was one of the better one's!).

Late May bank holiday I was at the Retro Rides Weekender that took place at Goodwood Motor Circuit. It's been running since about 2013 but I'd never been despite Goodwood being just up the road.
The car was accepted on to the Stock v's Custom display and I was positioned alongside a white GTi-6 with throttle bodies and various other goodies.

I also got accepted for the morning track session where we had a couple of sighting laps followed by 6 laps spaced out throughout the morning. Cars went out in groups of five, I brought up the rear of our group as I appeared to have the slowest car and the least experience.

Car felt good and wanted more although more practice & confidence were needed from the driver.

It really was a great weekend despite having to be pulled together at the last minute due to Covid uncertainty. Everyone was friendly and the track guys in my group of five were brilliant; happy to chat whilst waiting, no snobbery, everyone found their place in the line-up etc. Poor chap infront of me in the Capri rubbed through a coolant hose on his first outing, every0ne rallied around to get him going but it just wasn't to be unfortunately.

And finally, the 4th owner of my Rallye appeared. I recognised his name when he introduced himself as it was on some old paperwork that came with the car.

He was thrilled to see that it was still going and in good shape.

Posted 1st Jun 2021 at 11:42
eiei0

Regular

Post #191
Looking good Tom did you get the gear rods direct from Peugeot were they expensive??

My gear change feels crap I've Baker BM adjustable rods on a new pivot/bushes ect but no adjustment is helping it I might just go back stock and try that,
Posted 1st Jun 2021 at 15:15
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #192
eiei0 wrote:
Looking good Tom did you get the gear rods direct from Peugeot were they expensive??

My gear change feels crap I've Baker BM adjustable rods on a new pivot/bushes ect but no adjustment is helping it I might just go back stock and try that,

Thanks Trevor Thumbs up

I got the linkage rods from neatcarparts on eBay. The listing suggests 'OE brand', they didn't come in Peugeot packaging but they do look exactly the same as the one's that came off the car.

click for long one
click for short one

Posted 1st Jun 2021 at 15:28
eiei0

Regular

Post #193
Thanks Tom with Brexit eBay has become very expensive for us over here, I'm waiting for my parts guy to get back with a quote on original parts
Posted 1st Jun 2021 at 16:32
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #194
A few more little jobs have been ticked off the list and the car's feeling all the better for it.

Must've been November 2019 I'd been left stranded with what turned out to be a failed starter motor. I'd bought a replacement from the local motor factor just to get the car mobile again and it seemed to be doing a fine job so was left alone.
Now, with the engine rebuilt, and compression back to what it should be, the cheap starter was struggling to turn the engine over quickly enough for my liking.
I'd had the original Valeo starter rebuilt at the same time as my alternator (that had died dousing it in petrol and water) so it was ready to go on. Why I didn't do that whilst he engine was out is probably something to do with the shiny appearance of a newer starter.

The Valeo starter had had a new body, with magnets, and new brushes. Seems to have done the trick and starting is much more positive.

When I got the car it was fitted with an MTS branded back box. I'd been impressed with the quality so replaced the mid section and cat with MTS items.
I'd had to drill a couple of holes in the back box to drain all of the water/condensation that had built-up inside it (plugged with rivets) presumably whilst it had been sat in a yard for years and then not driven much before I got it. I knew I would be on borrowed time and now, it appears, that time was up.

MTS replacement sourced via ebay. I was advised I'd be waiting a month for delivery from Italy but I was happy to wait.

Replacement isn't as deep as the previous version

The blow wasn't too bad but it wasn't going to improve

I'd slapped some paste on just to seal the blow whilst I waited for the replacement to arrive.

Aside from the exhaust I've replaced the single electrode NGK plugs for the more usual twin version as I thought this might've been contributing to the lazy starting problem. Also replaced the crank sensor as I found a Bosch one for a good price - can't hurt replacing a 20+yr old sensor.
Car seems to be a bit smoother in the general running department and the exhaust has quietened things down just slightly.

Unfortunately I seem to have a very slight weep of coolant from the heat exchanger. I checked the pipes above whilst doing the starter and they were fine. Not sure what the solution to this is as I don't think a replacement part is available, maybe good used replacement or sandwich plate + oil cooler? Just going to monitor things for now.

Last on the list is a pair of 21mm torsion bars. I've got Xsara VTS springs on the front, which are slightly stiffer, so I'm hoping that the thicker bars will balance things out - I'd felt a slight sway from the back at Goodwood.

They're with the powder coater at present so not fitted yet.

Away from the mechanicals I've been using the car to go to and from the office this past week. She'd got pretty filthy so a good scrub was in order before meeting some of the local car club at the weekend.

Not a huge turn out due to the weather but a few 306's (HDi estate, Rallye and completely stock GTi-6) and a lovely old 505 estate that's just had a fresh coat of paint. Coincidentally, the 505 appears to have been sold from the same dealer as my Rallye!

Posted 5th Jul 2021 at 10:43
eiei0

Regular

Post #195
Good work as usual Tom, I haven't even washed mine in a month,
Posted 5th Jul 2021 at 22:53
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #196
It's been a few months since I updated this. Not a huge amount has gone on in terms of improving the car but here's where I'm up to.

Threw some rattle cans over the roof and boot. Lacquer I'd used on the boot previously had crazed so rubbed it back and started again.

That got her looking better for Pugfest where I met some of you lot.

Only bought early bird tickets for hill runs and the heavens had opened overnight only stopping half an hour before the hill opened. Bit slippery in places!

The following weekend I attended a 90's car themed event at Fuel Moto Cafe.

Had one of their Nitrous burgers which appeared to have a whole jar of jalapenos in it!

Sorn'd the car at the end of September to get on with an underside tidy-up and also, the tank had been leaking since I bought the car. Replacing the elbow and sender/pump seal didn't fix it. Turns out the breather 'T-piece' was leaking (green bit in the pic).

Sourced a replacement tank and taken the axle off.

And now getting on with the clean-up.

This'll be going on.

Posted 20th Oct 2021 at 13:52
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #197
Fantastic update Tom …im a massive fan of bilt hamber products…please post how you get on Thumbs up
Posted 21st Oct 2021 at 19:59
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #198
Day666 wrote:
Fantastic update Tom …im a massive fan of bilt hamber products…please post how you get on Thumbs up

Thanks for the encouragement. I've used the Bilt Hamber stuff on various things over the years and it's nice to use something that actually does what it says it does!

Clean-up's going well Thumbs up

Posted 22nd Oct 2021 at 13:49
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #199
Progress has slowed with the darker, colder evenings. Just haven't got the motivation but progress is still being made.

I've just got the n/s bump stop area to de-rust now. The o/s cupholder came out without any resistance, n/s was another story. Had to drill out the broken bolt and chase the threads.

I'd never removed the n/s wheel arch liner (a novelty as it's a full guard version) so had no idea what the metal was like beneath. It did look a little scary to be honest but it's cleaned up well.

Before

After

Everything I've done so far has been at 95%ish so I'll need to go back over it all in more detail before the paint goes on. I've kept flash rust at bay by dousing the bare metal in WD40, seems to have worked.

I met up with a few from these parts at the 90's themed Goodwood Breakfast Club. Saw some great cars and exchanged some parts for bacon rolls and everyone went away from the day happy.

It was good to be able to get out to a few events this year; Pugfest, RetroRides Weekender, local meets and the Goodwood Breakfast Club. Lets hope we can get through the next few months of Omicron and make it to spring when hopefully things will have improved and I'll have the car back in one piece!

Posted 22nd Dec 2021 at 10:58
alcon

Senior User

Post #200
Hi Tom

What's your method for drilling out sheared bolts (eg. your bumpstop cup holder)? I recently removed mine and the exact same thing happened - one came out no problem and the second snapped. I've never had much success with drilling out bolts but I'll need to with this one!

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 22nd Dec 2021 at 13:02

Pages (11): first .. 7 [8] 9 .. last