displaying posts 226 to 250 of 262

Pages (11): first .. 9 [10] 11

Author Subject: Tom's Red Rallye
ben306

Seasoned Pro

Post #226
Cant beat new shiny bits.
Looking well, keep us updated with the bits left to do.

My 306 Rallye Project Thread

Few recent Youtube track videos, more on my channel
Pair of Rallye's doing a few laps of Anglesey

Lap of Anglesey Coastal

3 sisters circuit

Few laps at Blyton
Posted 10th Jan 2023 at 07:13
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #227
Collected the wheels from being refurbished

They look ok I think. I was torn between wet paint (in the original EVT colour code) or powdercoat in a close enough colour. Went for the powdercoat in the end as it was a one-stop-shop with blasting and coating.

Look better with some light on them.

Really happy with the overall picture of wheels, calipers and bolts.

The refurbished wheels are a set of the Speedline versions. In thier finished state they're 8.1Kg. I'll need to weigh one of the French versions to see if there's any difference.

Also, bought the relevant tap to chase the threads in the hubs. Don't want my new bolts ending up like the old one's!

1343Z4 coolant hose o-rings for sale
198131 injector o-rings for sale
Posted 19th Jan 2023 at 09:24
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #228
Woop

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner
But now a Black caged rallye owner

Hunting for Go faster bits!

SEARCH

click here
Posted 19th Jan 2023 at 10:13
rudolf

Seasoned Pro

Post #229
Is EVT a Peugeot code?

S Reg Diablo standardsSpec SORNED
R Reg Nile standard spec written off then repaired
X Reg Astor in need of TLC
R Reg Nile to restore
Set of Lions to fit.
Posted 24th Jan 2023 at 19:05
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #230
rudolf wrote:
Is EVT a Peugeot code?

No, it's a Citroen code. Its name is something like sparkle grey or tinsel grey. I've had a rattle can made up before to do a quick refurb on a wheel and it's the right colour.

Posted 25th Jan 2023 at 07:47
alcon

Senior User

Post #231
'Gris Etincelle' seems to come up in a Google search. Well there you go, you do indeed learn something new every day!

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 25th Jan 2023 at 11:56
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #232
Hope this still works.

Bloody nightmare getting it out and then back in again. Had to get inventive putting the two halves back together as the giant spring was trying to push them apart.
Removed the clutch and brake pedal for access, could've done with moving the steering column too really. Back in now so just need to bolt up master cyclinder and bleed the brakes.

Posted 14th Feb 2023 at 08:38
alcon

Senior User

Post #233
Why did you take it apart? And how easy is it to seal up again?

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 15th Feb 2023 at 10:44
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #234
alcon wrote:
Why did you take it apart?

A question I asked myself many times whilst trying to put it back in Crazy

I'd spilt some brake fluid on it and the rattle can paint job I'd done peeled off. Couldn't get the paint out of the join so opened her up Dunno

Had the two halves powder coated, after tapping out the seal/guide bush in the back.

Reassembly was tricky. Drapped a primed ratchet strap over a bit of drainage pipe, lifted in the two halves (top bit waving about as it was balanced on the big spring), bit of card to protect the paint and ratchet away. Knocked the crimps in, that hold the two halves together, with a bit of plastic (small wire brush handle) and a hammer.

Praying it still functions as they're unobtainium.

Posted 15th Feb 2023 at 14:12
alcon

Senior User

Post #235
That sounds like a lot of work, I take it it needs to be an air tight seal around the crimped edge otherwise it won't work?

When I took mine out it was pretty rusty in random blotches but I was able to sand it down, treat it and spray it but the edge kinda annoyed me a bit as I couldn't properly get into it.

It is still available by the way at Peugeot Museum.....if you think it's worth 179 euros

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 15th Feb 2023 at 17:53
marksorrento205

Seasoned Pro

Post #236
I will be interested to see how you get on with this too. Mines looking a bit worse for wear and probably full of brake fluid too. Top job for giving it a go and fingers crossed it works Thumbs up

How to do a clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 15th Feb 2023 at 18:50
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #237
The seal is the black rubber bit bottom right of 1st pic. It sits over a metal disc on the side you can't see.
Day off tomorrow and I'm intending to bleed the brakes so we'll see if I've got away with it.

Posted 15th Feb 2023 at 18:57
alcon

Senior User

Post #238
click for amplification goodness

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 15th Feb 2023 at 20:03
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #239
marksorrento205 wrote:
I will be interested to see how you get on with this too. Mines looking a bit worse for wear and probably full of brake fluid too. Top job for giving it a go and fingers crossed it works Thumbs up

I hope so too. In theory, it's come apart and gone back together exactly as it would've been assembled originally. What could possibly go wrong Unsure

That'll be the backup plan, cheers Thumbs up

I can't really test if it's worked until the engine's running etc sooooo, better get on with that then.

I got Hovis16's PeterT reground camshafts at the end of last summer. They've got no extra lift (only option with standard pistons) but do have some longer duration.

I had the cam carriers vapour blasted after masking the individual bearing surfaces and also the open top and bottom.

Cam covers on...

... and gave everything a coat of this ACF-50 stuff that was recommended for bare aluminium to stop it corroding.

Also got a new belt, tensioner, idler and waterpump on.

Posted 13th Mar 2023 at 10:59
alcon

Senior User

Post #240
How do you rate the ACF-50? I was looking at it myself but wondered if it colours or otherwise stains the nice vapour blasting you've just had done? My steering rack housing is off just now getting vapour blasted and wondered if this stuff might protect it longer term

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 13th Mar 2023 at 13:14
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #241
alcon wrote:
How do you rate the ACF-50? I was looking at it myself but wondered if it colours or otherwise stains the nice vapour blasting you've just had done? My steering rack housing is off just now getting vapour blasted and wondered if this stuff might protect it longer term

It's the first time I've applied it so I'll keep you posted Thumbs up The chap that did the vapour blasting recommended it to keep the finish for longer.

Doesn't colour despite it being purple. It's quite thick and comes out of the nozzle as a jet rather than a mist (which would be more usable). Spreads around easily though.

Apparently a product called Sharkskin is more durable but I've got a litre of the ACF-50 so multiple applications aren't going to be an issue for a while!

Posted 13th Mar 2023 at 13:59
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #242
Woohoo

S8-Tom wrote:
marksorrento205 wrote:

I hope so too. In theory, it's come apart and gone back together exactly as it would've been assembled originally. What could possibly go wrong Unsure

That'll be the backup plan, cheers Thumbs up

I can't really test if it's worked until the engine's running etc sooooo, better get on with that then.

I got Hovis16's PeterT reground camshafts at the end of last summer. They've got no extra lift (only option with standard pistons) but do have some longer duration.

I had the cam carriers vapour blasted after masking the individual bearing surfaces and also the open top and bottom.

Cam covers on...

... and gave everything a coat of this ACF-50 stuff that was recommended for bare aluminium to stop it corroding.

Also got a new belt, tensioner, idler and waterpump on.

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner
But now a Black caged rallye owner

Hunting for Go faster bits!

SEARCH

click here
Posted 14th Mar 2023 at 19:56
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #243
Getting closer to returning to the road...

Fited the lighter alternator & PAS brackets for the last time. Did away with the tensioner from the 2L 8V and replaced it with a turnbuckle. It all just about goes on with a 900mm belt.

Filled the PAS resevoir ...

... and turned the pump by hand to prime it. Don't want this low miles pump chewing itself as the last one did.

Rerouted the charcoal canister purge valve via a modified bracket on the alternator/turnbuckle ...

... to here as it was always in the way of the fuel lines.

And another red 6-speed joined me. Tiny little turbo TwinAir engine

Waiting for a new heat exchanger seal from the dealer before I can turn the engine over (no idea where the old one disappeared to and no, it's not still on the block).

Posted 3rd Apr 2023 at 11:01
ben306

Seasoned Pro

Post #244
Certainly a very tidy example is this one. Looking great

My 306 Rallye Project Thread

Few recent Youtube track videos, more on my channel
Pair of Rallye's doing a few laps of Anglesey

Lap of Anglesey Coastal

3 sisters circuit

Few laps at Blyton
Posted 5th Apr 2023 at 05:24
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #245
ben306 wrote:
Certainly a very tidy example is this one. Looking great

Cheers. Like most, the bodywork is showing its age but mechanically it's pretty good now.

Finally got it started and driving around the garage compound. The brake servo seems to have survived its disassembley and refurbishment.

Clutch cable had failed causing some weirdness.

Replaced it with one for a 16v that I had from a job lot of spares I won on eBay for 99p and collected locally. ECP still sell them if anyone's after one?

Finished off a couple of little jobs:

Replaced the heat exchanger for a good one. You can see the staining from the old one leaking.

Fixed the oil temp wiring with a new junior power timer plug and 90deg boot.

Replaced the fan switch. Nothing wrong with original aside from being old + the new one was cheap from the Museum (in an order with some other bits).

And had some trim parts painted. Been collecting these from eBay etc as they've popped up for sale.

Looks like I'm still on the original radiator.

But it's deteriorating rapidly.

Aaaaaand, the magizine article following on from the photoshoot at the end of last summer was published.

Posted 19th Apr 2023 at 14:19
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #246
Spoke too soon...

Cry Heat exchanger is exchanging oil and water internally resulting in a small amount of oil in the header tank.
Cry Clutch cable wasn't the issue as the weirdness continues - it's either the Quiafe diff or the clutch.
Cry The crap bearings Gates are using in their tensioner and idler are noisy and the car hasn't been anywhere yet!

Alfa's going well though...

Posted 15th May 2023 at 19:35
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #247
Car's definitely been testing me lately.

Transmission/clutch issue was just weird. Clutch had been replaced 6K miles ago and had been fine. Didn't remove the gearbox to fit the Quaife diff so clutch hadn't been disturbed. I just couldn't understand why it was behaving as if it was worn out (revs rising with no increase in speed).

I removed the gearbox to have a look at the clutch and diff.

Clutch was fine.

Nothing obviously wrong with the diff.

diff casing was fine.

So, put it all back together and refitted the XSi clutch cable. Same thing Angry

Thought I'd try a manual adjust clutch cable. Put an order in with AutoDoc for a TRW one that matched the OE part number. Hmmmm, what's wrong here? Confused

That'd be a cable for a LHD car then.

Local factor came to the rescue with a Citroen ZX 2.0L 16V manual cable whcih seems to have resolved the issue. No idea what the problem was but I can only assume that the self-adjust mechanism in the Gti6 Dura cable and the XSi Pagid cable were buggered Dunno

In with the AutoDoc order were an INA tensioner and idler that actually had INA bearings in them!

Fitted those and noticed oil inside the cam-cover housing Doh

Took the exhaust cam pulley off to inspect the cam-shaft seal and that was all good. Felt down the back of the engine and, oil - the cam carrier, that I'd resealed, was still leaking!

Out came the camshaft. Cleaned all of the mating surfaces up and resealed with Loctite SI 5980 (black one from Halfords) as opposed to the previously used Loctite 5660 (grey one from Halfords). The black one looks to have a better oil resistance.

And last but not least, the heat exchanger that wasn't exchanging the right things.
The GTi6 one's aren't available. Buying used is a lottery so I went on the search for an alternative. The only engine with a heat exchanger that has the inlet/outlet pointing in the right direction is the DW8.

As you can see, it's a bit thinner than the original.

So I had to order the hollow bolt that secures the heat exchanger to the block to go with it. Fortunately they're still available from Peugeot albeit a special order from France.

Supposed to be doing the morning sprint session around Goodwood at RetroRides Weekender next weekend and the car hasn't been driven any distance yet Unsure

Posted 15th May 2023 at 20:05
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #248
nice find with the DW8 heat exchanger, those original gti6 ones were exchanging the wrong stuff some 15 years ago so you've had a good life out of it!

dread to imagine how much that was, gti6 was several hundred poinds back then

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 15th May 2023 at 21:50
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #249
welshpug! wrote:
nice find with the DW8 heat exchanger, those original gti6 ones were exchanging the wrong stuff some 15 years ago so you've had a good life out of it!

dread to imagine how much that was, gti6 was several hundred poinds back then

I had three GTi6 one's: 1 leaking coolant externally, 1 exchanging oil & coolant & 1 that I didn't even bother trying! They're all going in the bin.

The new heat exchanger is actually an aftermarket NRF jobbie and only £25. Yeah, dread to think how much a genuine part would be.
The genuine hollow bolt was about £15.

I've been using the car almost daily for a week now and everything seems to be working just fine.

Posted 30th May 2023 at 14:07
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #250
marksorrento205 wrote:

As a follow up to this, the servo is working as it should. Even leaving the car for 24hrs after being driven, there's still a vacuum present when I remove the master cylinder.

And why would I be removing the master cylinder, well...

The powdercoat is thicker than the original paint. This means that the master cylinder is sitting slightly further out than it once was meaning that the rod inside the servo, that connects the brake pedal to the master cylinder, needs adjusting.

The total amount of master cylinder that sits inside the servo is 66mm.
The piston part of the master cylinder sits 43mm inside the master cylinder meaning that the rod inside the servo needs to be 23mm beneath the outside of the servo.

Made a measuring tool. Central bolt is 23mm inside the servo.

Posted 13th Jun 2023 at 07:55

Pages (11): first .. 9 [10] 11