I've owned four 306's previously: two P1 Cherry 1.4 XL's, a P3 Moonstone 1.4 Meridian and a P1 XSi so I'm no stranger to 306's having fixed a failed heater matrix, replaced a gearbox, complete front end including suspension on the XSi, an electric window upgrade, full interior swap and numerous other smaller jobs. Sadly the 306 love had to come to an end with the arrival of the kids so I've been through the people carrier stage and currently driving a Merc Vito for troop transport duties.
I've been hankering after a project for a while and wanted to return to a 306 so started looking for a Rallye. I viewed a couple but finding one that was complete with its interior wasn't easy.
I'd been keeping an eye on an eBay listing that kept reappearing and finally arranged to go and see it. Acknowledging it was getting on for 20 years old so would inevitably need something, it all looked ok for the asking price so I snapped it up and drove it home a week later. It drove pretty well on the way home, temperatures etc all fine and nothing fell off or made too much noise.
A photo from the eBay listing
The seller had advised that there was an occasional knock from the o/s front that might be suspension related or could be the typical engine mount/chassis fracture. I can't say I noticed anything on the drive home but I've since had a look at the chassis where the engine mounts and someone's already repaired it.
I have found that the o/s front wheel shows some play when held at 3 and 9 o'clock and rocked (nothing if held at 12 and 6). I discovered this after jacking it up to remove the arch liner in order to clean this lot out
Now looks like this
I also replaced the fan resistor whilst there as it was onbly blowing on max speed
Work has been focussed on cleaning at the moment. It's suffering badly from lacquer peel and the roof has been completely stripped of the clear coat. I wanted to get it cleaned and sealed/protected before the weather really turns. It's been washed (numerous times) and I've used fall out remover and clay followed by a compound, polish and wax. Never cleaned a car to this extent before but I'm hoping it'll stabilise things for now.
Headlights and tail lights have also been out to clean behind them and I've made a start on the door shuts and seals. The n/s headlight pretty much fell out as all of the tabs were broken along with the lens and black plastic back; that's been replaced with an identical dual-optic Valeo unit from a scraped cabby. The hockey stick was also beyond repair so ordered a new one along with a bag of clips.
Other little jobs so far include a new roll pin in the o/s check strap as that was missing and I've been trying to remove the Phase 3 Clarion stereo with no luck despite using what I believe to be the correct removal pins. I've also replaced the batteries in the key fob as the central locking wasn't working. I had suspected the wiring between door and 'A' pillar but pleased it was such a simple fix.
The rub strips weren't looking too bad but the scuttle plastics were looking a bit tired.
I bought some Wurth plastic dye and set-to. I'm quite happy with the results. I didn't get an after shot of the scuttle plastics but here's a before and after of the rub strips.
That's about it for now. Plans are to check that the chassis is sound, there's a bit of rust in the usual place behind the ecu but a cursory glance underneath suggests it's not too bad. I'll be removing the sill covers to make sure there's nothing lurking there and I'll be checking the typical 'jacked on the chassis stiffener' place (o/s looks like it might've had a repair). Once the chassis good I'll be looking to refresh the beam and front suspension including powdercoat/paint subframe &amp;amp; wishbones + replace balljoints etc. Could be a bit of a wait for updates as I'm trying to resist doing anything major until the spring.
________________________________________1343Z4 coolant hose o-rings for sale
198131 injector o-rings for sale